What are your thoughts on the hardcore gaming community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some how, I guessed all of this....down to the healer! I love playing healers.
You're 1337. Duh! :LOL:

So, when they call me "healer," they are really saying "Healer." An Honorific, not an occupation.

Wiki is my friend!:LOL:

Thank You, Kathleen-san!

So, when they call me "healer," they are really saying "Healer." An Honorific, not an occupation.

Wiki is my friend!:LOL:

Thank You, Kathleen-san!

*nods sagely* It is both an honorific and an occupation. In my case, it is never an exact science. For example, being screamed at or having panicked profanity slung in my direction always seems to make my healing spells and potions to fail epically. :rolleyes:

*nods sagely* It is both an honorific and an occupation. In my case, it is never an exact science. For example, being screamed at or having panicked profanity slung in my direction always seems to make my healing spells and potions to fail epically. :rolleyes:

That's why I am on the sidelines...I find I am able to function as a healer much better if I am not constrained by storyline! I also have the ability to call a time out and pull characters from the game if I think their IRL health is in danger. It's happened twice in 8 years.

Gaming, the same as any hobby or pastime, that encompasses a person's entire being is bad. It's an addiction.

I feel the same way about a gamer who only plays games the same way I feel about someone who just reads books all the time. They need balance in their lives.

hey, what's wrong with reading all the time. now if you read at the table then that's probably not good. i read three of four hours a day. reading, for me is like breathing. i wouldn't want to give up either one. i think if more people read books and newspapers the world would be a better place. i don't play video games anymore, but was really addicted at one time. pac man, and several others. that wasn't good, i didn't get much done and had nothing to show for it at the end. at least , with being avid reader, i am gained much knowledge about many things going on in our world. :cool:

hey, what's wrong with reading all the time. now if you read at the table then that's probably not good. i read three of four hours a day. reading, for me is like breathing. i wouldn't want to give up either one. i think if more people read books and newspapers the world would be a better place. i don't play video games anymore, but was really addicted at one time. pac man, and several others. that wasn't good, i didn't get much done and had nothing to show for it at the end. at least , with being avid reader, i am gained much knowledge about many things going on in our world. :cool:

You don't read 20 hours a day. :) I was only equating reading and gaming as two hobbies, either of which CAN be overdone.

Now, I think I need to turn off this gadget that seems to be running most of the day!:wacko:

Well you people have caused me to look up a lot of acronyms in the Urban Dictionary today. I can see where you can have fun.

If I were to want to try a RPG, which one would you suggest for someone who has NEVER played one at all? Something online that doesn't require special purchases of equipment.

I noticed something about the reading. I've always been an avid reader, but lately I haven't been as quick to pick up my current book, instead keeping myself busy with other things. DC is a part of my day now, and I like to work on my Sudoku puzzles to keep my mind exercised.

It seems that in recent years life was so difficult that I buried myself in books to escape the constant stress and worry in my own mind.

It just seems strange after such a long period of that behavior to find myself content with my real life enough that a good, interesting book can sit within reach, and I might not even pick it up all day.

I spend more time thinking about my current or next sewing project, planning new decorating schemes. (I'd like to have a color scheme for each season.) DC inspires me to come up with new recipe ideas. What a difference.

I'm off to my What Else Are You Making thread to complain about my latest sewing project/problem.

I'll give my experience - some connections might be causal, others just simple correlation.

I grew up as part of the video game generation. With the exception of a few TV channels that focus on education (such as most of PBS, some of Discovery/Science, History, and odd shows on subjects such as cooking and home maintenance), I always preferred to turn on my game system to staring motionless at a sitcom or reality show.

My mother didn't mind at all, she only got worried if I passed out in front of it. My father on the other hand was concerned that sometimes I played too much and exhibited behavior such as frustration and addiction. For me this led to an ability to deal with complex problems without getting frustrated or giving up. I can stay up three days working on a single project - something viewed as a positive attribute (by many) when a critical task needs completion.

As a youngster I developed great hand-eye coordination which helped with writing/drawing (and later knife skills!). Most of the games I played involved math in some form (be it simple points, logic, or abstract mathematics in the form of game theory - a serious field!). Some of the games like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego gave me an edge on geography and culture.

I own a PlayStation 3, Wii, and a separate (portable) desktop computer I purposely built for gaming with my FIL and BIL. On the PC we play real-time-strategy games which can be thought of as games such as RISK, but without turns - everyone plays at once and economic/military decisions you make decide your fate so to speak. On our Wii we enjoy playing the active games where we're all up swinging virtual golf clubs while it's snowing out, or swinging virtual tennis rackets when the courts are under three feet of slush and ice down the road. On my iPhone I enjoy good-'ole Tetris. The PS3 I don't actually use much for gaming, although I have a couple arcade-style games I play now and then.

We enjoy games much more than television/movies. And not just Video Games, but board games, and outdoor games. Games get everyone involved with one another rather than just staring blankly in separate little worlds.

Then of course there is the incredible wealth of knowledge you are presented with if you get curious about how that plastic box with flashing lights is actually working. It's some of the most sophisticated technology on the planet, and drives advances in everything from medicine to our understanding of the Universe. Admittedly some people just like to push a button and squash someone like a tomato...:LOL:

EDIT: By the way, we found we watched so little cable that we got rid of it three years ago. We took the $100/month we saved for a year and bought a 52" LCD for our games and the occasional Blu-Ray film on the PS3.

Last edited:
I like to go gaming, do play a few online. Have to agree that to some extent that some kids spend way too much time on them. It's more of a baby sitter. Parents are working and such.

My husband and I go gaming with our kids. Always have.
I don't have a problem with pawning them, melting their faces in a game. It's all in fun here. Much cheaper then dinner out and a movie. We do that to, just not that often.

I've learned the slang that they use in some games.

We were having dinner one night and the kids were talking about a game. We were making plans to play an online game that night. One got testy with the other. I wasn't sure so I asked them " So uh guys, Is this what you call smak talk before a game?" They almost died laughing." Mom's a gamer!!! " They especially said that when I did get in and melt them. :LOL: They have a new saying now "Don't aggro Mom!" lol..

Gaming is an odd culture that has evolved so rapidly in the last few years.

As a whole I thing gaming is a good thing, it makes you think. I would prefer my child to try to strategically beat a video game rather than watching reality tv. The problem is taking it too far. I do agree that too much can be bad for you. Take a look at a select few of the WOW players. So much time, like days of the week are devoted to this game. This is bad.

There is also a social aspect to the 'gaming culture' now. You can connect with all of your friends, and enemies. You can chat and talk. Kids get real frustrated by bullying. This is another down side to the evolution of gaming.

All in all I am for the advancement of technology, and better gaming experiences. I do say that they should be used appropriately.

I hope this is helpful to your study.

My question is, do any of these gamers know how to fix a leaky faucet?

Like most people, they will likely learn it like I did: I learned when I bought a house that had a bathtub that drained directly into the basement and when the faucet would not stop dripping. :)

Mine would be, can they make change with out the register displaying it for them?:mad:

Craig

Of course they can! Probability checks. Price of loot, equipment, etc. My favorite moment with modern teenage gamers was when half of the ninth grade males in the GT class created a "Harlot Chart" to find out what type of NPC girl they would meet when they ventured into town. :LOL: Now the gamers who are playing Soul Caliber (or the modern equivalent) won't be able to do it - but those who prefer White Wolf-based games....sure! That being said, Soul Caliber was so fun too. :)

WOW @ some of the thoughts [read stereotypical] about gamers in this thread....:neutral:

I think you can be a hardcore gamer and still relatively balanced...just like you can be a hardcore internet user, tv/movie watcher, cook, runner or reader and not be too maladjusted.

Friends of mine like the rock band game and some dancing game a lot. They throw parties and make a night out of it regularly. They know which way is up, support their habit and families, and are generally self sufficient. *shrug*

I signed up for Second Life for an internet law course. I thought that was pretty cool, a lot of interesting issues came up and i was blown away by the high level of participation. If it didn't slow down my computer so much I'd probably play that.

KathleenA said:
Like most people, they will likely learn it like I did: I learned when I bought a house that had a bathtub that drained directly into the basement and when the faucet would not stop dripping. :)
Yes, of course, but the internets did not enter into most of our lives until we were well into adulthood. It's the kids who spend 6 hrs everyday gaming or on Facebook that may end up lacking practical skills as adults like fixing a leaky faucet. Sure, they may possess excellent hand-eye coordination but may lack social skills in the real world.
Sorry for the rant as I see so many young adults out there who are unable to function (ie: stupid) in many aspects of life today

Yes, of course, but the internets did not enter into most of our lives until we were well into adulthood. It's the kids who spend 6 hrs everyday gaming or on Facebook that may end up lacking practical skills as adults like fixing a leaky faucet. Sure, they may possess excellent hand-eye coordination but may lack social skills in the real world.
Sorry for the rant as I see so many young adults out there who are unable to function (ie: stupid) in many aspects of life today

That was the point I was trying to make. We are interacting socially more and more in places where we can't see one another. I teach adolescents what a "frowny face" means on a daily basis. They have no idea how to read expression on a person's face and so tend to react inappropriately. OK, end of my rant.

I believe gamers do have superior problem solving skills, and likely can do dexterous things I can't. I also believe gamers who use the games to avoid reality and interacting with live people are at a serious disadvantage in many ways. Its tough to develop a relationship of substance with only the internet as your communication tool. Pretty darned tough to propagate the species via the internet too. :ROFLMAO:

I hope so. Don't they still teach that in the 3rd grade?

Simple test. After they take your bills and type the amount in the register, say "I have the exact change", hand it to them and look at the confused expression on their face. Looks like your just slapped them in the face.:rolleyes: I've had one call the manager over because they were stumped.

Craig

Take myself as an example. I may be artistic, handy for the most part, good with numbers, socially adjusted, and etc..., but I am really bad when it comes to lengthy reading and comprehension. That's my weak point.
Oh, and I'm not so good at video games as well...lol...

Back
Top Bottom