What did you or your wife/so crave, when pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
I just read on the dinner forum that Kimbaby is craving spaghetti and it made me smile.

With my first son, I was reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and I fried cabbage, garlic and butter together, every lunchtime. I had never touch fried cabbage in my life before.

With my second son, it was fudgesicles...and I'm not a fan of chocolate or ice cream. :rolleyes: :LOL:

First daughter it was tomato juice by the gallon, literally. And oranges, couldn't get enough. I figure I was low on vitamin C.

Second daughter was chocolate glazed doughnuts. Not one, not two, but three at a go. One went down too quick, two I could enjoy and three just to top me off. Strangely I gained the same amount of weight with each pregnancy. I have one junk food lover and one health nut, bet you can't guess which is which!

The most bizarre, unappetizing thing I craved was a sandwich.....

Raisin bread
Bologna
Blue cheese crumbles
ketchup

The very thought of it now makes me:sick:.

I couldn't stand anything with bbq sauce for either pregnancy. And, most of my perfumes ended up in the trash because the fragrances made morning sickness (which really is a misnomer...I was all day sick) much worse.

Because of my morning sickness with Boy#1, I couldn't drink OJ or eat doughnuts for about 10 years....still don't drink coffee.

wasabi said:
With my first born I craved mangos. With the second, lychee.

I love lychee nuts! We hardly ever have them here in Maine, and when we do they are $6 per lb! :ohmy: Sorry I got a bit off topic there people :LOL:

Half Baked said:
Because of my morning sickness with Boy#1, I couldn't drink OJ or eat doughnuts for about 10 years....still don't drink coffee.

Oh. My. Gosh. That would just about kill me. No doughnuts or coffee??? Say it isn't so!

I craved whole milk. Had about 6-8 glasses per day (no joke!) I also craved the stouffer's creamed chip beef over toast. It was a staple with me 4-5 days per week (ugh! The sodium!!!)
Also, mexican food had to fit in at least 3 dinners each week.

(I wanted chocolate and coffee/caffeine with both kids, but took myself completely off of them during the pregnancies and the feeding year)

jkath said:
(I wanted chocolate and coffee/caffeine with both kids, but took myself completely off of them during the pregnancies and the feeding year)

You're a better woman than I am jkath, I wasn't ABOUT to give up two of the things that give my life meaning.

I craved your basic meat/marinara pasta, or any pasta - I DESPISED the smell of any seafood cooking and I adore seafood and VeraBlue's cravings are really turning me :sick: right now! :LOL:

Wasabi - I adore lychee nuts

jkath - really now, is craving whole milk the bet you can do? :-p :ROFLMAO:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - doughnuts!!!!!!!!!!! NOW we are bonding while pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just give me the fresh off the "press" and still hot plain glazed or better yet those tractor wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES, YES, YES??????? ..............oops, sorry. :blush:

I remember it well, morning sickness all day everyday, anytime a strange smell came by, open the refrigerator and I was :sick: But I still manged to eat oh so well, I adored fried rice had to have it at least 3 times a week, the bbq'd pork, then the coconut ice cream just about every night, custard filled doughnuts and I'm with Alix at least 3 at a sitting...Also there was a place close by that made these huge wonderful burgers, melted cheese, onions,mayo, lettuce all drippy with bacon and the bun hot toasty and soaked with meat juices and grese...Ahhh I remember it well:LOL: Oh yes, don't forget the fries with ketchup and salt, oh yea onion rings:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

My wife carved peanut butter and banana bread, watermelon, and grapes. Nothing wierd at all. But one day I came home from work and made beef stroganoff, and she couldn't eat it. We haven't had stroganoff to this day (4.5 years later).:(

Slurpee's from 7-11. Coke flavor.
Had to have one almost every day.
The store was about 4 blocks from my house
and I'd make my self walk up there rain or shine.

She craved Not being pregnant!

j/k...We have tried to create a lil Jon, but to no avail as of yet. If things change, and she starts craving pickles and ice cream or something I'll let yall know.

vagriller said:
My wife carved peanut butter and banana bread, watermelon, and grapes. Nothing wierd at all. But one day I came home from work and made beef stroganoff, and she couldn't eat it. We haven't had stroganoff to this day (4.5 years later).:(

Isn't it odd how that happens (the beef stroganoff?????).

I was on my way to the beach (meeting my EX husband the next day) and met a girlfried for dinner and lunch on the way down - I commented - "this is the best red wine I have ever had", the salad gets there "this is the best caesar salad I have ever had", the meal gets there - "this is the best bolagnese I have ever had" - the next day at lunch "these are the best nachos I have ever had" - next day took a pregnancy test - positive! lol Shortly thereafter I learned what my "oh my gosh, I can't believe I ever ate this and get it OUT of this restaurant!" was lol

If we girls could get together and tell our pregnancy/delivery stories you guys would would take little tiny tea set silverware and try to cut your hearts out to keep from listening. LOL - and each one of us women would be in awe at the woman who endured it.

It truly is a wonder, a blessing, and a total mystery all at the same time.

I craved Sour Cream so I ate alot of tacos. I also craved jolly ranchers. I kid you not I must have eaten around 2 bags a week.

kitchenelf said:
If we girls could get together and tell our pregnancy/delivery stories you guys would would take little tiny tea set silverware and try to cut your hearts out to keep from listening. LOL - and each one of us women would be in awe at the woman who endured it.

Some of the guys have delivery stories too. They let us stay in the room these days! It looks a lot different from the other end.

kitchenelf said:
It truly is a wonder, a blessing, and a total mystery all at the same time.

And a little bit of horror too!

Back
Top Bottom