What herbs to grow and how many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also had a devil of a time with bolting cilantro. When I found my little Mexican market sells a big bunch for a quarter I quit thinking about it. Love the stuff. We do well with growing thyme, and chives, but not so well with parsley.

Larry, your yard is just gorgeous!! Is that a white Chess Set in the corner?

Last edited:
Larry, your yard is just gorgeous!! Is that a white Chess Set in the corner?

Yes, My son was in the chess club awhile back, so we used to play. Now its more of a conversation piece. These pics were actually of a few years ago. Once things are in full bloom, ill get some updated pics.

I grow basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley, chives, sage.
Lots of basil for pesto. When I get an a lot that I can't keep up with I clip the mixture of herbs and then chop them up put them in Ice cube trays put them in some olive oil and some with melted butter then when frozen pop them out and store in a freezer bag. When I m cooking in the winter months, just pop a cube into your pan and just like fresh picked. I also will make flavored butters - mix your fresh herbs with soften butter, then roll up into a log and freeze. Note: Buy ice cube trays and keep them separate for your herb freezing. If you don't you will have ice cubes that taste like herbs.

We grow herbs and some exotic stuff based on usage. Rosemary, basil, parsley and thyme are always going (we really don't have a winter). We also have a Kaffir lime tree for the leaves, galangal (Siamese ginger) and an Australian finger lime. Galangal and kaffir lime leaves are used in Thai cooking.

Kaffir lime and lemongrass are good house plants and are two seasonings not easily found when needed.

Other than that I grow the usual, one plant each, except Rosemary, which survives here (zone 5) and is a yard plant.

I also have a programmable gadget (AeroGarden) given to me as a gift in my kitchen. These things work. Nice to have a few herbs within snipping distance of the stove.

Kaffir lime and lemongrass are good house plants and are two seasonings not easily found when needed.

Other than that I grow the usual, one plant each, except Rosemary, which survives here (zone 5) and is a yard plant.

I also have a programmable gadget (AeroGarden) given to me as a gift in my kitchen. These things work. Nice to have a few herbs within snipping distance of the stove.

There are several "Asian" markets around us, one just a few blocks away, that carry lemongrass so we don't grow it. Galangal and kaffir are not always available fresh. Karen got some shiso seeds, but so far nothing yet. I wish I could find some fresh epazote, but haven't had any luck.

Last edited:
I was looking at one of those myself. My kitchen tends to be somewhat dark, so I like the fact that it has its own source of light.

Arugula and cilantro both bolt as soon as they get any kind of hot weather so it's very difficult for us to grow them here other than over the winter months.

Sage dies off in the heat, so I usually plant some when it starts to cool off.

My shiso finally sprouted, but is still really tiny, so it will be a while before we can try that. I can see the distinctive shape of the leaves now though.

I would choose rosemary, parsley, basil , thyme and mint. All easy to grow and have so many uses. If you have too much you can always freeze some in ice cube trays for later use.

Steve, from my memory of your great kitchen picks, I see just the spot for one of those gardens!! Go fer it...I bet you'll love it, especially in those snowy winters!
Well, great mind think alike. I know exactly the spot you're referring to, so I went online and ordered the AeroGarden this morning. It should be here next week.

By the way, if anyone else is interested, I found good deals right on the AeroGarden website. They're having a Father's Day Sale right now, and everything is discounted. I bought the top-of-the-line Bounty Wi-Fi model for $259, far less than the $399 MSRP, and even less than the $329 Amazon sells the same model for.

Last edited:
I pay through the nose for rosemary. Either way -- if I buy a potted plant that's of usable size or for little cuttings at the market. It doesn't over-winter here, and I think my house is too dry inside, so I wind up with a table full of needles like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree surrounding the pot.

Otherwise, I pretty much grow herbs I like to use, parsley, (+ 1 for tabbouleh) , sage, thyme, lemon thyme, tarragon, mint In Pots, (so it doesn't spread), oregano, marjoram, lots of basil. I plant a 2nd go-around with cilantro in about September when it's a little cooler. I can't figure how Mexico and other hot climates are able to keep growing cilantro. Maybe with continuous plantings.

Nasturtium leaves or flowers are fun to use as an herb, and can put a little peppery zip in salads etc, I forgot to plant some as I just remembered this now. I think I have some saved seeds and they should still grow this summer.

By the way, if anyone else is interested, I found good deals right on the AeroGarden website. They're having a Father's Day Sale right now, and everything is discounted. I bought the top-of-the-line Bounty Wi-Fi model for $259, far less than the $399 MSRP, and even less than the $329 Amazon sells the same model for.

:shock: Too rich for my blood. So glad I live in a temperate climate and can grow lots of herbs year-round.

:shock: Too rich for my blood. So glad I live in a temperate climate and can grow lots of herbs year-round.

Yeah, I know. In fairness, they have a number of models that are quite a bit less. This is their top model I think.

Anyway, I realize that same money would buy a lot of seeds and pots, but I'm a boy who likes toys, and this one looks like fun. :LOL:

Like Medtran mentioned, cilantro does not like heat. I love cilantro and tried to grow it a few times. I planted it in December on the advice of the guys who take care of my yard and it still bolted the minute we had a fairly warm day. It was more trouble than it was worth, so I gave up and just buy it at the grocery store now.

I pay through the nose for rosemary. Either way -- if I buy a potted plant that's of usable size or for little cuttings at the market. It doesn't over-winter here, and I think my house is too dry inside, so I wind up with a table full of needles like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree surrounding the pot.

Otherwise, I pretty much grow herbs I like to use, parsley, (+ 1 for tabbouleh) , sage, thyme, lemon thyme, tarragon, mint In Pots, (so it doesn't spread), oregano, marjoram, lots of basil. I plant a 2nd go-around with cilantro in about September when it's a little cooler. I can't figure how Mexico and other hot climates are able to keep growing cilantro. Maybe with continuous plantings.

Nasturtium leaves or flowers are fun to use as an herb, and can put a little peppery zip in salads etc, I forgot to plant some as I just remembered this now. I think I have some saved seeds and they should still grow this summer.

I grew up n one of the twin cities !!

Anyway, it over-winters here, so maybe try it

Yeah, I know. In fairness, they have a number of models that are quite a bit less. This is their top model I think.

Anyway, I realize that same money would buy a lot of seeds and pots, but I'm a boy who likes toys, and this one looks like fun. :LOL:

Atta boy Steve, there are sure more dangerous and expensive toys than a top of the line herb garden!;)
Please post a picture so I'll know if you and I were thinking of the same great kitchen spot for it.:mrgreen:

My two rosemary look great in the pots they came in, I'm scared to repot them into something else. I wish it would over winter here, but I truly don't want to find out. I've been trying to grow rosemary for a few years and have been unsuccessful in even getting it to grow in the house.

This was the first year my Rosemary ( outside) over wintered. Needs a little pruning, but should fill out nicely as the season progresses Usuall I run into the same problems as others. The outside plant doesn't overwinter and if I have a inside plant, the inside conditions not enough to keep it alive. It dries up, leaves fall off. Whats most annoying is i usually can keep it alive until about 2 weeks before I can get it outside. If it would just hang on a few more weeks, then Mother Nature could take over.

I have 3 aero gardens that I used religiously from about October through April. Primarily for Basil, but on occasion, parsley and romaine lettuce. I found the basil to be the most successful, as it would bush out as I used / pruned it. I would get a few months out of each planting. Nothing better than in the middle of the winter, 20 degrees and a foot of snow outside, to just walk downstairs and pick a hand full of basil for dinner.

I have 3 aero gardens that I used religiously from about October through April. Primarily for Basil, but on occasion, parsley and romaine lettuce. I found the basil to be the most successful, as it would bush out as I used / pruned it. I would get a few months out of each planting. Nothing better than in the middle of the winter, 20 degrees and a foot of snow outside, to just walk downstairs and pick a hand full of basil for dinner.
That's kind of my plan for it, too. I was watching some YouTube videos yesterday that had people growing all sorts of things in their AeroGardens, including tomatoes, cucumbers, and strawberries. Those things might be fun to try as the weather outside starts to turn toward winter again. I was also thinking about trying spinach, since that's one veggie I eat a lot of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom