What is you favorite appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When to a BBQ recently and bought 1 1/2 lbs of raw prawns. Put them on skewers, marinated in a spicy Cajun sauce and then grilled them. Turned out nobody there liked shrimp! Heathens! Was I disappointed? Heck no! I ate half of them and took the rest home! Mmmmm.

DampCharcoal, sounds like those people just don't know what they were missing. Here is one of my favorite appetizers.

Tangy Thai Shrimp Skewers
From Hors d'oeuvres by Eric Treuille and Victoria Blashford Snell

20 medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 inch pieces fresh ginger, grated
1 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime

Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Combine shrimp, garlic, ginger, chili, sugar, fish sauce, and lime in a non-metallic bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Skewer 1 shrimp on to a 3-inch skewer. Serve chilled.

Blue Bandit,

The Hot Asparagus Roll-ups sound wonderful! Do you blanch or nuke the asparagus first? If raw when it goes in the oven, is it nicely cooked given that time?

Lee

Appetizers, as a whole, are my favorite "food group".

Nachos, buffalo wings, spinach-artichoke dip, pigs in a blanket, egg rolls, chicken satay, pot stickers..........LOVE EM ALL.

My friends used to call me a grazer b/c I nibbled all day long.

OH.......can't forget shoestring french fries (preferably seasoned with garlic) and onion rings. YUM.

Gosh, I have so many - but two of my favorites are:

Sushi Cake

• ½ cup rice wine vinegar
• 1 TBS coarse salt
• 2 TBS sugar
• 3 ¾ cup water
• 3 cups sushi rice
• 2 TBS mayo
• 2 tsp. fresh chives, finely chopped
• 2 TBS powdered wasabi mixed w/ 2 TBS water
• 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 oz. jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
• 4 oz. cooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and roughly chopped, plus several more whole for garnish
• 3 sheets nori
• 2 TBS pickled ginger, finely shredded, plus more for garnish
• 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds for garnish
• radish sprouts, for garnish

1. In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, salt, and sugar; set aside. Place the water and rice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until rice has absorbed all water, about 15 minutes.
2. Transfer rice to a large bowl. Stirring constantly, slowly add reserved vinegar mixture until fully incorporated. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, chives, 2 tsp. wasabi mixture, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl, and add crab, shrimp, and 1 TBS ginger. Mix well to combine.
4. Toast nori sheets to enhance their flavor: Using tongs, wave each sheet over a gas burner flipping and turning until crisp and darkened in color, 30 to 60 seconds; both changes are subtle, so watch carefully.
5. Assemble cake: Place nori sheet, shiny side down, on a dry work surface, and cover, using moistened fingers, with 2 ½ cups rice. Cover with plastic wrap, level with rolling pin (remove plastic wrap), and brush with wasabi mixture. Place a nori sheet on top and spread with 1 cup rice. Level with a rolling pin, and brush rice with wasabi mixture. Arrange crab mixture evenly on top; sprinkle with remaining TBS ginger. Spread with 1 cup rice. Place remaining nori sheet on top; cover with 2 ½ cups rice and level cake with rolling pin. Trim edges, using a wet and sharp knife, and transfer cake to a plate. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Slice in bars. NOTE - I think overnight would be too long - the nori would get a bit tough and rubbery.

Wasabi mayonnaise – 1 tsp. powdered wasabi mixed with 2 tsp water, 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, ½ cup mayo. Stir and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The other one is a pesto/goat cheese/sundried tomato torte - if anyone wants it let me know.

Qsis - I believe the recipe for the asparagus roll-ups uses canned asparagus - so, if you want to use fresh I would definately blanch until tender.

The recipe does indeed call for canned asparagus. Now that I can get fresh asparagus for most of the year, I don't use canned. I find them too soggy. I steam the fresh asparagus until they are tender-crisp.

Yep, Blue Bandit, that Hot Asparagus Roll-up is a keeper!

Since I'm having prime rib for dinner on Christmas, I'm doing a variety of seafood appetizers. In addition to shrimp cocktail for one, I'm thinking of this one (if I don't have time to make the brown bread, I'll just buy a can of New England Brown Bread which EVERYONE loves in Boston):

Smoked Salmon and Brown Bread

2 cups milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups whole wheat flour (stoneground, if possible)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Smoked Scottish salmon
Cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the milk and lemon juice to create sour milk. Mix the flours, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the middle and stir in the sour milk vigorously to make a thickish dough. Turn dough out onto a floured board and form into a round cake about 2 inches high and 7 inches in diameter.

Warm an 8-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan in the oven for 3 minutes. Take it out, grease and flour it, and place the round dough "cake" in the pan. Using a wet paring knife, make a cross cut on the top of the dough. Cover the pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and wrap bread in a clean tea towel to cool, 5 to 6 hours. Serve with smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Merstarr,

I tried the spinach stuffed mushrooms that you post on here. They were awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom