Whetstones vs. Diamond stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt. Pepper

Assistant Cook
I have a whetstone I sharpen my knives with. While browsing around I noticed the Diamond Stones. Whats the word on these stones. Are they better, not as good as or about the same as a whetstone? :D

I am curious about this as well. My guess is that the diamond stones take off more metal than the whetstones. I would think it would take less passes over the diamond stone to achieve the desired result, but you would also need to be more careful because you could screw up easier if you didn't do it right. This is just a guess. someone who know please chime in :)

GB said:
I am curious about this as well. My guess is that the diamond stones take off more metal than the whetstones. I would think it would take less passes over the diamond stone to achieve the desired result, but you would also need to be more careful because you could screw up easier if you didn't do it right. This is just a guess. someone who know please chime in :)

GB
I have used a Diamond hone at a local hardware store they have out for their customers.
You are right they do take the metal off. But, the resuilts are a very sharp blade with a minimun of strokes.

Charlie

A diamond stone is never the last step in sharpening- after it is used you dress the object being sharpened with a leather strop with sharpening compound or jewler's rouge to give a final polish to the sharpened surface. Paul

Back
Top Bottom