Which do you think is the Best Waffle Iron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RipVan

Assistant Cook
And this is my first... DC looks great!

I am looking for a waffle iron - preferably the kind that flips over to coat both grids evenly. And with removable grids for thorough cleaning.

Any recommendations? :wacko:

Hi RipVan! Welcome to DC. I can't help you on the waffle iron since I have one that I don't like. But someone will be along that can help you. Glad you're here!

ummm, ripvan, the last time you probably used a waffle iron, it needed to be heated in the fireplace. ;)

welcome.

we have a regular ol' krups 4 section waffle maker. nothing fancy, and it works well for our occasional use. nothing is removable, though, which would be a nice feature.

RipVan - I have had a Waring iron for about 3 years now - use it 2-3 times a month and think it's great. Of course, I bought it when it was about twice the price it is now - figures:rolleyes:. This one flips, has a temp control, drip plate, etc. only does one waffle at a time.

Check out the Cooks Illustrated website. I seem to remember them reviewing waffle irons - and they preferred a cheaper one.

I have a KA which I do like a lot. I saw them on sale at cooking.com recently.

Hey, I resemble that remark.:LOL:

Buck and I have had a Mickey Mouse waffle iron for years and love it. It never surprises me when he asks if we can have "Mickey" waffles.

Yep, I remember you and Buck talking about it in another thread! :cool: That's what gave me the idea to look it up. While searching for it, I saw the other two shapes as well. I have to admit, that Mickey Mouse Waffle looks really good!

Found waffle iron marked down

Buckytom - You bet. Before my extended siesta we used to dump some dough on a hot rock and plop another hot rock on top. Produced a gritty waffle but what the heck. That's why my kids called them awffles.

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I stumbled on a discounted Nickel Pearl Waffle Iron in cooking.com and ordered it. Their price is about $40 under all the others so it is a good deal if any of you are interested. Too expensive but I'm a sucker for a deal. :neutral:

I am completely against chef endorsed equipment, but I purchased a unit by Emeril Legasse (it was on clearance for $15 at BB&B) that is waffle, grilled cheese sandwich and not sure what else maker. It comes with three sets of plates to toast different things.
I have been using it for at least 3 years and it works great, it has a variable thermostat that depending on what you are making you can preset to stop the heating unit at the desired time, I recommend it just for the waffles and the grilled cheese sandwiches.

I do not like waffle irons with non-stick finishes. The texture of the waffles is different. So I use two vintage waffle irons - probably from the 1940s. They work great and are not hard to clean.

Speaking of waffles. Has anybody ever seen a waffle maker that was for making round waffles, about 10 to 12 inches in diameter and only about 1/8 thick? My mom used to have one, and she'd make the waffels and then use the to make like a cake out of them, spreading frosting in between each layer, it was so yummy, mmmmmmmmmm

Waffles

DecoLady - I couldn't agree more! If the nonstick finish comes off the metal there can be trouble! And it is all too easy for the new non-stick finishes to degrade. Yikes! I am taking care to protect my expensive waffle maker's finish for sure!

CharlieD - Previously I never had much luck with Belgian waffles of any type - partially because of the complicated recipes. Now I seem to have some luck, thank goodness.
You might look at a pizzelle maker for really thin waffle-like (well, maybe "sorta" waffle-like) that you could stack nicely. They are very thin but not light and fluffy partially because they are so thin any air in them would make them too fragile to be handled. Also they are loaded with oil or butter and so not very good for us if eaten in quantities.

Rip

Thank you, I thinl that is exactly what I need, or at least it sounds like. Gooing to search for them right now.

CharlieD - Find a Russian or Eastern European grocery store. They sell those large thin crispy waffles already made.

I have a Cuisinart one. It's got a red and green indicator light to tell you when its all heated enough, and you can choose how dark you want your waffles, then the green light comes on when they've been in long enough.
Now if I could just stop overfilling the darn thing....... I need one with a light for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom