WSM 18" Dry Rub Side Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daBee

Assistant Cook
  • Membrane on
  • Dry rub only
  • 3-2-1 method
  • Some rub into the wrap

I tell ya, this is heaven. Never gets old.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 7
I like the way you are standing your ribs on the rack. I have a similar rack for chicken. Makes a world of difference.

No room otherwise. Sometimes I do more than 3 racks. Gets tight. Actually, these barely fit.

Just curious, why leave the membrane on? Preference or just don't want to mess with it?

I used to have an 18-inch WSM, but I usually cook smoke a small about if BBQ, such as one rack of ribs, so my 22-inch Weber Kettle was easier, and got the same results, so I sold the WSM. If I were doing large amounts of BBQ at a time, I would probably get a 22-inch WSM, or even an offset smoker.

CD

I keep the membrame on as well.
And I don't wrap and probably undercook compared to a lot of people.
I want to feel like caveman when eating ribs :)

I leave the membrane on. Because that's what I grew up with. LOL
Never heard of removing it until about 5 - 8 years ago.
I like the pull with the rub and the chew on each rib.

BTW, daBee, Welcome to DC!

and yes, I have to ask, how many are you cooking for, doing 3 racks at once?
As cooking for one, I cut one rack into 3 or 4 pieces. Mainly because if I were to cook the whole rack (which doesn't fit the toaster oven anyway) I would just eat practically the whole thing in one sitting. :pig:

Edit: oops, does that make me a cannibal?

I smoke on my 26" Weber kettle using a rack like the OP's. I leave the membrane on because I figure not a lot of flavor will penetrate the silver skin and cartilage to get to the meat.

No room otherwise. Sometimes I do more than 3 racks. Gets tight. Actually, these barely fit.
I have the Weber 26" kettle, I think? My wife bought it for me last birthday. I use the shingle method with an offset fire. I can do quite a few slabs, but I must move them around every hour or so. I have to open the grill to do this.
Fire on one side, shingled slabs on the other.
I ring the fire side with coals and only light one end. Then the coals ignite like a domino effect. I place one or two chunks of wood along the ring.
At the end I do brown over direct coals for few minutes. The coals are almost burned completely by then so its a low temp brown off.
And I do remove the membrane.
Just curious, why leave the membrane on? Preference or just don't want to mess with it?

I used to have an 18-inch WSM, but I usually cook smoke a small about if BBQ, such as one rack of ribs, so my 22-inch Weber Kettle was easier, and got the same results, so I sold the WSM. If I were doing large amounts of BBQ at a time, I would probably get a 22-inch WSM, or even an offset smoker.

CD
I have a real big heavy Brinkman offset smoker. Its extremely well built. But its engineered wrong. All offset smokers are. The issue is the heat and smoke are not directed under the meat. It travels from the firebox into the tunnel and across the top. Also in the tunnel at the far end gets less heat and smoke. Putting the firebox lower would help.
I have seen some hacks to remedy this. Expensive remedies. Had I the access to the machine shop at my job my machinist could have made the hack for me.
Also. Offset smokers use a lot of fuel. 3 times what I would use with my kettle. It pays to use wood alone due to this case. This is why I am always on the lookout for fallen hickory and pecan trees around here. Oak is good to. We have many apple and peach trees all around our house. Apple is excellent if not to dry.
I keep the membrame on as well.
And I don't wrap and probably undercook compared to a lot of people.
I want to feel like caveman when eating ribs :)
Same here. I don't want to be able to pull out a bone or the slab to break. I want some bite with tender meat.
I never sauce on the grill. I serve the sauce on the side in squirt bottles.
I smoke on my 26" Weber kettle using a rack like the OP's. I leave the membrane on because I figure not a lot of flavor will penetrate the silver skin and cartilage to get to the meat.
I think mine is the 26" as well. I should measure it. But it was the biggest one she could find last year. It was over $300. Boy is the lid heavy. Thank heavens for the lid holder.
Oh...The one thing I do not like about the Weber design here is the ash wheel in the bottom.
It works fair, but can get locked into place if you do not keep the bottom somewhat clean and grease free. Those 2 things are hard with a charcoal grill.

CD

Less work is better. I leave them on, but from time to time I take it off. I find it holds them together. This batch in particular, the bones were falling out, so the membrane was a plus. Some take them off, some leave them on.

When I smoke, I try to fill the smoker, at least the top shelf. I just picked up 3 more racks. Heh. I can fit 40 pounds into my WSM 18.

This pic is an 18 pound FULL pork shoulder. I did two of them at the same time. Very long smoke, but it was quite the feat.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 6
I leave the membrane on. Because that's what I grew up with. LOL
Never heard of removing it until about 5 - 8 years ago.
I like the pull with the rub and the chew on each rib.

BTW, daBee, Welcome to DC!

and yes, I have to ask, how many are you cooking for, doing 3 racks at once?
As cooking for one, I cut one rack into 3 or 4 pieces. Mainly because if I were to cook the whole rack (which doesn't fit the toaster oven anyway) I would just eat practically the whole thing in one sitting. :pig:

Edit: oops, does that make me a cannibal?

Thank you. Well, it's Christmas. I have a tradition of making as many ribs as I can find and fit into the smoker. This yer they're a bit steep, ~$15 per rack, so I'm reeling it in a notch. 3 racks went to 1 for me instantly, 1 for the neighbours, one for me that's in there for the rest of the week. I literally just picked up 3 more racks, and I'm throwing two of them at friends as well. I'll attach some images of previous batches/ideas.

I ate a whole rack within 12 hours of taking them off. This round was super nice actually.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4211.JPG
    IMG_4211.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5187.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7583.JPG
    IMG_7583.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7730.jpeg
    IMG_7730.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 4
Here's 2 more. Heh.

Attachments

• IMG_7967.JPG
    IMG_7967.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7973.JPG
    IMG_7973.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 5
On a Weber Kettle, I did a prime rib. It was exceptional.

Attachments

• IMG_7655.JPG
    IMG_7655.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7660.JPG
    IMG_7660.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7662.JPG
    IMG_7662.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7689.JPG
    IMG_7689.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7690.jpg
    IMG_7690.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7692.JPG
    IMG_7692.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7695.JPG
    IMG_7695.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 5
I don't like a smoky flavor with prime rib. I would use @CraigC method in the oven.

Rare to medium rare:
Preheat to 500°.
Roast prime rib at 500° for 5 minutes.
Reduce oven temp to 200° and roast for 1 hour per pound.

I hope @CraigC will see this and verify its 200°. It may be 250°? I am not sure and may roast one very soon.

I have a Big Green Egg and love to cook ribs on it.

I always take the membrane off. I don’t wrap.

Yours look great!

Our prime rib is cooked inside in the oven. Although most people with a BGE would disagree, not everything needs to taste of smoke.

You can use your BGE other than smoking. The kettle I used was just charcoal.

I have a Big Green Egg and love to cook ribs on it.

I always take the membrane off. I don’t wrap.

Yours look great!

Our prime rib is cooked inside in the oven. Although most people with a BGE would disagree, not everything needs to taste of smoke.
We have a place called Texas Roadhouse. They serve prime rib. Since its my favorite and I never make one at home I sometimes, well most every time order it.
Its cooked perfectly rare the way I like it. But it has a slight smokey flavor.
Thats the only thing I don't like about it.
And the reason I would oven roast.
You can use your BGE other than smoking. The kettle I used was just charcoal.
Well its a grill too.

Ah, I don't get that at all. I find some are confused about smoker/bbw/grill.

Back
Top Bottom