Conflicting info for mortar and pestle care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm only grinding them to coarse chunks right now for the garden compost because calcium is not very soluble.
On the farm I did them a bit finer for the chickens. They had the most wonderful shells. Great for carving.
I once threw them in the blender... don't do it, especially if it's plastic.
Sand blasted the inside of the blender jug? No longer transparent, only translucent?

Couldn't post on my tablet, but "borrowed" my old computer back while they are setting up my new one...

5 as at 24.04.13.jpg

Green one in the fore was brought back from Mexico by my mom. Have no idea if she actually used it. Tried to twice but each time seeds flew all over the place LOL.
Wooden one was the first I received (a gift), never really used it. Next two were used a lot, the marble and red porcelain. Still use them the most. Marble one has a tiny ridge, I'm assuming from being reamed out and it is fantastic for super fine grinding of spices. Porcelain red's interior is also great for grinding. Tiny one I bought because I thought it cute and surprise, surprise - I actually use it a lot!
Can't say I've never washed them but you could probably count the times on half your hand.

ps.
My DIL has a lovely big heavy one in granite that I greatly admired when I saw it in her kitchen and crowed "oohh, lovely, where did you get it?". Was a little embarrassed when she looked at me strangely and said I had given it to her. Oops, well at least I had/have good taste! :)

Last edited:
Couldn't post on my tablet, but "borrowed" my old computer back while they are setting up my new one...

View attachment 68902

Green one in the fore was brought back from Mexico by my mom. Have no idea if she actually used it. Tried to twice but each time seeds flew all over the place LOL.
Wooden one was the first I received (a gift), never really used it. Next two were used a lot, the marble and red porcelain. Still use them the most. Marble one has a tiny ridge, I'm assuming from being reamed out and it is fantastic for super fine grinding of spices. Porcelain red's interior is also great for grinding. Tiny one I bought because I thought it cute and surprise, surprise - I actually use it a lot!
Can't say I've never washed them but you could probably count the times on half your hand.

ps.
My DIL has a lovely big heavy one in granite that I greatly admired when I saw it in her kitchen and crowed "oohh, lovely, where did you get it?". Was a little embarrassed when she looked at me strangely and said I had given it to her. Oops, well at least I had/have good taste! :)
I have a green one that looks exactly like the one from Mexico that you have. It's beautiful. That's why I got it. Well, beauty is as beauty does, and it sucks. It seems totally useless. It works so much worse than I thought a mortar and pestle can work. I haven't thrown mine out yet, because it is pretty, and made of marble and I bought it. But, that silly thing seems useless. Does anyone know a trick to make that kind of mortar and pestle work?

I've broken the marble pestle (threw it out without thinking) and the porcelain one, taped it together and works fine. You can see the tape in the picture.
Haven't looked very hard for replacement pestles but does anyone know if one can even get them?

I've broken the marble pestle (threw it out without thinking) and the porcelain one, taped it together and works fine. You can see the tape in the picture.
Haven't looked very hard for replacement pestles but does anyone know if one can even get them?

What are you using your mortar and pestle for that you have broken two of them? Especially the marble one. Are you using them to take out your frustrations?

CD

casey LOL, I honestly don't remember. Probably just dropped them on a tile floor. Can't believe I threw out the marble one. Especially after I realized how I could still use the porcelain one with just masking tape! Not pretty but certainly functional.

I dropped a marble pestle on the floor and it broke. Stirling bought me a porcelain one to replace it. The porcelain one works fine in the marble mortar.

Yeah, so does mine as you can see in the picture. The porcelain one is in the marble mortar. Must be those round ends. Funny how that works.

Back
Top Bottom