Broth, Stock, Bullion, Powder, Concentrate...so many choices!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have either used my homemade broth/stocks or boxed stuff.
I never thought much of BTB, mainly for the price and to be honest, I tried it once, long ago and it was far too salty for our taste. Than I saw that humongous jar of lower sodium BTB Chicken at Costco, mush more reasonably priced and thought, what the heck, let's try it again.
WOW WOW WOW!! Did I say WOW?
Love this stuff!
On my next expedition to Costco, I bought the Roast Beef flavor BTB, where have you been all my life?!
I have only had these two cars for a short time, but I've already blown through half of each one!
[edit - I want to add that BTB takes up far less space! I don't have to make room in my freezer for the homemade stuff any longer, WIN WIN!]

Last edited:
Leaving aside other things one might use like wine, water, vinegar, etc...there are a lot of choices when it comes to Broth, Stock, Bullion (cubes & powders), Powder (other than bullion) and now, Concentrate (bottles & packets, the tubs seem to have disappeared). I've only recently been introduced to the "concentrate packets"...but must say they are convenient.

I'm wondering what others might offer for when to choose one of the above over another. I used to keep the little Knorr's tubs in the pantry, but I've not been able to find them in recent times. I found them easier to incorporate into whatever-pot-is-on-the-stove, than say, bullion cubes. So, just throwing this out there...thank you in advance for any and all input!

smileys-cooking-658147.gif
I strongly prefer BTB for just about everything because it is just richer and so easy to store and use. I mean to make broth you put a teaspoon into hot water. But most of the recipes I use I don't even have to pre stir it because I've already got liquid in them so I have to do is put a teaspoon in and stir it around.

Coincidentally, just earlier today I looked at most of the recipes on the better than bouillon site. They now have flavors aside from bouillon such as Italian seasoning paste and chipotle and adobo and chili pepper.

I would just add that there is one recipe I still use a certain brand of vegetable broth in just because I know it works in that and even other brands of vegetable broth don't taste good in it. So I figured if it isn't broke don't fix it. And the recipe is a vegetable pork chop soup that purges some of the pork taste by using the vegetable broth so that the end result is a very fresh vegetable tasty soup despite the heavy pork chops.

I make chicken stock whenever I have any chicken bones. I buy mostly boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so I don't often have any chicken bones. I don't buy the carcasses because, I don't have much space in my freezer at the moment. When I make any meat stock, I only use the bones and the meat on them. I started doing that when I was composting. We aren't supposed to put bones in the compost, so I wanted the veg part separate. That means that the leftover veg part can go into the compost. I usually reduce my stock a lot and later when I want to use it, I dilute it with veg stock. I almost always have some veg stock in the fridge. I make it whenever there are enough veg scraps and peels to make a jar full.

Forgot to mention. I doctor the BTB chicken base with some vegan chicken powder. That really kicks it up a notch.

I often make stock when I have what I need to make it. However, in a pinch, I will use BTB. I did not like the ham flavored BTB though. I've tried the veggie, beef, and roasted chicken.

I often make stock when I have what I need to make it. However, in a pinch, I will use BTB. I did not like the ham flavored BTB though. I've tried the veggie, beef, and roasted chicken.
Wasn't it you who had the voodoo chicken stock, the one with the chicken feet?

Forgot to mention. I doctor the BTB chicken base with some vegan chicken powder. That really kicks it up a notch.
"Vegan" chicken powder? Do explain.
It was indeed! A magnificent site watching the chicken feet rise from the pot so we could push them back in! I need to do that again. It was the absolutely BEST stock!
Ooo, that would be fun :geek:

And delicious stock, no doubt.

I’m working my way through a jar of turkey Better than Bouillon that has a nice deep flavor. It’s comparable in price to canned stock and IMO more convenient.

I usually use GOYA powdered bouillon packets, particularly the ham and chicken flavors. They are a nutritional nightmare but they are inexpensive convenient and tasty.

Dried or fresh mushrooms, slowly browned onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Worcestershire sauce add a depth of flavor to many soups and gravies.
I have a jar of that in my mini fridge, but keep forgetting about it.

I personally use all forms of bouillon - powder, cubes, BTB, etc.

"Vegan" chicken powder? Do explain.
This stuff:

DH said, oh, that does taste like chicken soup, but without any actual chicken flavour.

They get it from vegan chicken, which is a seitan being. Or is that a soy bean, it so confusing. :unsure:
Very confusing indeed.

This stuff:

DH said, oh, that does taste like chicken soup, but without any actual chicken flavour.
Although I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian) I've had vegetarian 'chicken' patties before that were actually quite tasty.

Very confusing indeed.

Although I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian) I've had vegetarian 'chicken' patties before that were actually quite tasty.
Vegetarian and vegan products have come a long way in the past 30 + years ( there are still a lot of crappy ones out there, but much better selection and more easily accessible ).

Vegetarian and vegan products have come a long way in the past 30 + years ( there are still a lot of crappy ones out there, but much better selection and more easily accessible ).
I once tried vegetarian hot dogs. Bought a pack just to try them, since they were lower in fat and calories than regular dogs. Probably one of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. I took a bite and couldn't even get it down. That bite went into the trash along with the rest of the package.

I don't mind some vegetarian products, but veggie dogs are an abomination, in my opinion.

I once tried vegetarian hot dogs. Bought a pack just to try them, since they were lower in fat and calories than regular dogs. Probably one of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. I took a bite and couldn't even get it down. That bite went into the trash along with the rest of the package.

I don't mind some vegetarian products, but veggie dogs are an abomination, in my opinion.
I agree in general. Back in the day I bought "Tofu Pups". I should have know , just by the name alone, but I was desperate for a hot dog. That wasnt it!!, and lie you , they wound up in the trash . I've had "Leanies"which were actually very good, but haven't seen them around in awhile, and they are vegetarian (Egg whites), not vegan, My wife is vegan so try to only keep vegan things in the house.

I agree in general. Back in the day I bought "Tofu Pups". I should have know , just by the name alone, but I was desperate for a hot dog. That wasnt it!!, and lie you , they wound up in the trash . I've had "Leanies"which were actually very good, but haven't seen them around in awhile, and they are vegetarian (Egg whites), not vegan, My wife is vegan so try to only keep vegan things in the house.
Tofu Pups, lol. Yeah, that doesn't sound appetizing.

I personally don't eat a lot of meat (although I do occasionally enjoy a medium-rare steak) but I couldn't live without chicken and seafood. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to.

I do enjoy many vegetarian dishes, though. But not because I'm avoiding meat. It's simply because I love vegetables and I like experimenting with different vegetarian-type dishes.

I make my own chicken stock and freeze it in ice cube trays then put them in quart freezer bags. I usually wait until the small roasters go on sale and cut it up and throw it in the crockpot with about 10+ cups of water, some chopped up carrots, celery, a clove or 2 of garlic and a bay leaf. Cook it on low for about 24 hours.

I do keep a jar or two of BTB in the refrigerator and also one carton of each chicken, beef & vegetable broth in case I run out of my frozen stock. I keep a beef and a chicken container of plain old Herb Ox bouillon cubes that I use whenever I am boiling pasta because I think they are mainly salt and they add a little more flavor to the noodles. (I can't eat onions or onion juice so they never even come into the apartment.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom