"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tonkatsu: Japanese Pork Loin!!

This is a quick an easy recipe to make at home for yourself or company. I first came across this recipe when in Gifu,Japan in a small Tonkatsu Restaurant. Please read the recipe first before making your dish. If you do not know how to make panko go to my previous post here

How to Make Japanese Panko!!

You will need the following

Pork Loin about 1/4 pound and cut about 1/2 inch thick
1 egg
Flour
Salt
Pepper
Panko Bread Crumbs
Cooking oil

1. Take your pork loin and put little cuts in the fatty parts to make it tender. Tenderize the pork loin like any other piece of meat with meat tenderizer or rolling pin.

2. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to each side

3. Put a lite coat of flour on each side of the pork loin.

4. Take about 1/2 egg into a bowl add about 1 table spoon of water, mix well, then dip both sides of the pork loin in it.

5. Dip the both sides of the pork loin in the panko flakes.

6. Place pork loin in cooking oil and fry until golden brown.

Notes: Make sure your oil is about 350F before putting your pork loin in. This meal is typically served over rice,caramelized onions and topped with an egg. I hope you enjoy this quick and tasty Japanese meal. I will publish later "How to make your own Panko Crumbs and dipping sauce" in another page.

Mike

Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Can't do katsu, without katsu sauce, I recommend the Bull Dog brand:

Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

OK. Do you slice it then bread and fry it as the OP's recipe suggests or bread and fry it whole then slice it as the picture in the link in post #2 suggests?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Sorry had to edit this post - I think OP's recipe asks for "little cuts" on the surface which is not slicing it all the way through.

So: tenderize (little cuts) > bread > fry > slice
OK. This statement 'Pork Loin about 1/4 pound and cut about 1/2 inch thick' is confusing. Also, a quarter pound of pork loin may be about two inches thick or so. Is tonkatsu that small?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Can't do katsu, without katsu sauce, I recommend the Bull Dog brand:

Hey Tatt, your tonkatsu sauce has expired.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef

i'm sure i'm missing something here and,having been on the site for 3 months or so,i'm sure someone will point it out to me(fast learner me!!) but isn't this just schnitzel in panko with tatts out of date sauce!!don't get me wrong,i love anything fried in breadcrumbs but i can't see any real difference?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i'm sure i'm missing something here and,having been on the site for 3 months or so,i'm sure someone will point it out to me(fast learner me!!) but isn't this just schnitzel in panko with tatts out of date sauce!!don't get me wrong,i love anything fried in breadcrumbs but i can't see any real difference?

Based on the recipe in the OP, you're basically right. IT seems the larger piece is breaded and fried then sliced afterwards. So it's not really a schnitzel. Look at the photo in the link in post #2.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Based on the recipe in the OP, you're basically right. IT seems the larger piece is breaded and fried then sliced afterwards. So it's not really a schnitzel. Look at the photo in the link in post #2.
ahh,gotcha,missed that one.hmmmmmm,looks good.cheers andy
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
It's not schnitzel in Japan. Just as Roulaide is French, while Rouladen is Doiche for the same preparation.

I have made this dish and before and just called it panko breaded pork loin.

Their are some foods that are so good, that they are made in many places in the world, and just called something different in each language. For instance, Sashlik in Russia is Lamb shish-Kabob in Michigan.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I looked at some recipes online and there is a variety. All versions show the meat fried then served sliced. In some cases the fried meat is a thin cutlet sliced, sometimes it's a pork chop fried then sliced and in some cases it's a thick chop or small loin roast fried and sliced.

Finally, in one recipe the photo and the recipe are different.

Tags
egg, pork, pork loin, recipe, salt pepper

Tonkatsu: Japanese Pork Loin!! This is a quick an easy recipe to make at home for yourself or company. I first came across this recipe when in Gifu,Japan in a small Tonkatsu Restaurant. Please read the recipe first before making your dish. If you do not know how to make panko go to my previous post here [URL]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/how-to-make-japanese-panko-79704.html[/URL] You will need the following Pork Loin about 1/4 pound and cut about 1/2 inch thick 1 egg Flour Salt Pepper Panko Bread Crumbs Cooking oil 1. Take your pork loin and put little cuts in the fatty parts to make it tender. Tenderize the pork loin like any other piece of meat with meat tenderizer or rolling pin. 2. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to each side 3. Put a lite coat of flour on each side of the pork loin. 4. Take about 1/2 egg into a bowl add about 1 table spoon of water, mix well, then dip both sides of the pork loin in it. 5. Dip the both sides of the pork loin in the panko flakes. 6. Place pork loin in cooking oil and fry until golden brown. Notes: Make sure your oil is about 350F before putting your pork loin in. This meal is typically served over rice,caramelized onions and topped with an egg. I hope you enjoy this quick and tasty Japanese meal. I will publish later "How to make your own Panko Crumbs and dipping sauce" in another page. Mike :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews