Espresso Swirl Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Espresso Swirl Brownies
Yields: 16 pieces

8 T unsalted butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
1 ¼ c sugar
1 t vanilla extract
¼ t salt
2 large eggs
½ c all-purpose flour
1 T instant coffee or espresso powder (I used espresso and strongly recommend it)
1 T water
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 large egg

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
Melt the butter with the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a medium heatproof bowl set in a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until mixture is melted and smooth.
Remove the top of the double boiler (or the bowl) from the heat. Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth and glossy and comes away from the sides of the pan, about 1 minute. Spread all but ½ c of the batter in the prepared pan. Set aside.
Combine the coffee (espresso) powder with the water. Set aside. Mix the cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the egg and the coffee mixture until well blended. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter in the pan. Spoon dollops of reserved brownie batter on top. Without scraping the bottom of the pan, draw a table knife through the dollops to swirl and marble the chocolate and espresso batter without thoroughly mixing them.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownies just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool on a rack. Refrigerate and chill thoroughly before cutting, about 2 hours.
Slide a knife between the pan and the brownies on the unlined sides. Lift the ends of the parchment or foil liner and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares. May be stored, airtight, in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.

Dang it!! Do they have decaf expresso? I guess that would be an oxymoron, wouldn't it since it's stronger than regular coffee?

It'll be something new for me to make with our candy day though. I love anything that is mocha like.

Last edited:
Actually, espresso isn't stronger than regular coffee, and may even be a little weaker; seems the longer roasting actually destroys some of the caffeine in it.

Besides, the small amount you'd use in a recipe like this wouldn't contain very much caffeine per seving anyway.

Luv it Allen, DH will be all over these! (He's crazy for sweet coffee things!)

Thanks for finding this cool brownie recipe with a twist, for doing so I'd say you earned some Brownie points with me :LOL:

texasgirl said:
Dang it!! Do they have decaf expresso? I guess that would be an oxymoron, wouldn't it since it's stronger than regular coffee?

It'll be something new for me to make with our candy day though. I love anything that is mocha like.

texas, since the recipe says you could use instant coffee, you could use decaf instant. I've done that before in recipes and it's turned out fine.

Like marm said, though, the amount you need in the recipe isn't going to make a huge difference if you do use caffinated. There's probably more caffine in the chocolate than there is in the espresso powder/instant coffee! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom