Dinner- Saturday September 13,2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
I know this is early, but I work nights. I plan on getting up and cooking(before work) a rib eye steak, baby red potatoes(not sure how yet) and Asparagus. With the leftovers I am going to make Steak Soup.

Question: I mixed up the dough for NYT Bread a couple of nights ago and with my work schedule and the heat it is still sitting on the first rise. Will it be OK? I added 1 clove of chopped garlic and a half clove(?) of Shallot. I am hoping to get up early enough to bake it before I go to work. This is my second shot at NYT bread. I was not real happy with my first loaf. It didn't look any where as good as Joe's. And it was real heavy. I used bread flour the first time, I used regular flour this time.

that is eally early for this thread.

once again im working but for lunch i got either spinach an ricotta stuffed chicken with a tomoato cream sauce or ill order something out

dh left Thursday on a motorcycle trip, had pop corn last night....am looking at my favorite recipe for chocolate bread pudding and wanting to incorporate some blueberries, but I'm thinking that is not the best idea, so will probably make the recipe as written, so..

chocolate bread pudding with cream:)

whatb aout throwing in some bananas in that chocolate bread pudding

good idea, the taste combo would be great....but I don't have any fresh bananas/fruit, (except 400# of apples). I usually don't buy fresh fruit, I rely on harvesting my own fruits and freezing or canning them. Right now i have blueberries and wild black raspberries in the freezer that I would like to use. I know raspberries would be a good combo for the choc bread pudding, but I have eaten choc and raspberries a lot, don't want them now.

could alwasy buy a banana or 2 or ask a neighbor and tell them you will give them some for it.

I made a blueberry pastry cream once. It was pretty good.

could alwasy buy a banana or 2 or ask a neighbor and tell them you will give them some for it.

I made a blueberry pastry cream once. It was pretty good.

LOL, okay, here are some of my food philosophies..

I am a person who works with what I have. Generally I get an idea of something I want to make, based on what foods I have that need to be eaten. Then I look for a recipe to use that suits what food ingredients I have and the method of prep I want to use.

I do not drive to town to purchase one item. I would consider riding my bike the 12 miles to buy one or two bananas, but it is too hot and humid today and I don't want to spend that much time just procuring some bananas. I wait until I have at least three tasks before heading into town, usually about every two weeks or more.

I will not pay over $.29/lb for bananas. I was in a large Wal-mart on Monday (one hour away) and they were charging $.59/# for bananas. Don't know what my local Krogers is charging, but they usually want high prices for fruit.

Yesterday I was through my neighbors kitchen and she had no bananas on her counter.

I really concentrate on eating local and seasonal foods. Right now, apples are the fruit of the month.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

i was thinking of boiling imported fresh pasta in bottled water, to make up for the loss of carbon footprint that beth guilts us with everyday.

(he hee, i'll bet you regret not mourning our pets now, huh?)

ok, seriously, i'm actually just working an 8 hour day, so i think i may grill an angus top round london broil rubbed with garlic and parsley, and if there's time, pick up a coupla lobsters to put into a solar oven.

lol, just seeing if you were paying attention. :)

i mean toss them into the boiling pot of doom and then rip them apart by hand to be dipped in butter. thp thp thp thp thp.

(he hee, i'll bet you regret not mourning our pets now, huh?)

you got that right

I was trying to impart some advice I picked up from being on another forum that has over 1000 posts a day and nine livestock/animal related forums. There are easily 20 posts a day like...my pig just layed on 3 piglets..why won't my sheep get up.... dh ran over the cat..... a pack of dogs just killed my goats....my horse broke her leg...my dog is convulsing....my goat is staring off into space.....I have learned how to scan thread titles and avoid reading ones like these.

Did you really have a cat die recently? If you did, I am truely sorry. But generally I do not look at who starts threads and definitely don't have the emotional energy to take on others' grief.

But, I am expected in Mendocino California by this Saturday for my nephews wedding and since i'm bicycling, I had better hit the road:mrgreen:

lol, you're a goof, beth.

it's just too easy to run with good material. :)

and if i were you, i'd stick around here more. we have far fewer pet related murders and livestock incidents...

Thanks for the laughs today.:LOL: You guys are a hoot! I want one of those fainting goats, but "She who must be obeyed" has drawn a very deep line in the sand with that one. After 36 years I've learned to NOT cross that line. I know what side my bread is buttered on!:LOL:

On a cooking note, we've invited three friends from church for dinner. I will be making Panko-crusted walleye fillets, pan roasted redskins with Vadalia onions and garlic, and DW's homemade sweet coleslaw. I'll make some tarter sauce, but nobody usually needs it because the walleye was fresh frozen on water, and have no fishy odor. I have a loaf of seeded rye ready to go in the oven shortly, and one of the guests is bringing dessert (will be a surprise).

Joe

leftovers tonight, if i have room after bday party at three. pork roast, mashed potatoes, corn , salad. and the super good hm bread like the outback resturant.
haven't been home very long. she served burgers, dogs and chicken. lots of lovely fruit in chunks, beans, fries and deviled eggs.so the left overs will have to wait. babe

Back
Top Bottom