Friday 11/18/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
We picked up some of the new Land O Lakes European style butter (black box). It was on sale. So DD's want to have eggs, bacon and toasted English muffins to try it out. So breakfast for dinner to.

We have some friends coming over tonight. They just got back from Florida and bought some fresh Yellow Fin. So that will be grilled, Baked potato for them, Sauteed Brussel sprouts for me. There may be a Margarita in my future.

I took some of the previously made mozzarella, last night, dipped sticks of it into beaten egg, then salted dried bread crumbs, and froze them.
Today I deep fried them at 350 degrees F in peanut oil, 2 minutes, turn, 2 minutes.
They were OH so good and stringy, crunchy, melty.

I AM GOING OUT!!!!!

Um, uh, okay I have my composure now. :cool:

I apologize for the little outburst but these days going out for dinner is a huge event and this time TB is throwing in a concert as well!

We have an hour and a half drive to the venue so we will stop for an early dinner on the way so I can have a chance to get out of the car. It won't be anything fancy, in fact, I hope to go to a local staple, White Spot. It is just good food and I have been going there since my grandparents would take me to the drive IN (as opposed to "thru"). I would order the "chicken pickin's" - a wing and a leg on a bed of awesome french fries.

Oh, and it all came in real dishes on a long tray that fit across from window to window! They still have a few drive-ins around, but we will be eating in.

Thanks for letting me share some nostalgia!

No idea what I will have yet, but if you looked at the menu they have several gluten free options.

Rusty chicken thighs on the grill (Chef John's recipe), faux risotto Milanese in the Zoji, roasted brussel sprouts. Wife's brother is in town, and he clearly liked this dinner (as did wife and I).

Beer butt chicken here tonight.

Big change of plans, because I can. :rolleyes:

Italian Seafood Stew, cooked on the fly.

There's nothing more fun for me than cooking with a well stocked pantry and imagination, plus having my darling Sous Chef as a fan.
I had a frozen package of mixed seafood (shrimp, calamari, scallops) from TJ's.
The pantry items were clam juice/Hunt's Pasta Sauce/ fire roasted tomatoes/white wine/red pepper flakes/fish sauce/..tasted, seasoned and adjusted.
A 1/4 cup orzo added till almost tender and then the mixed seafood till just cooked.
Bowls topped with fresh snipped chives from the garden and Parm.
Garlic bread for the SC.
:yum:

Sounds good Kay. No Garlic bread for you? You still using my recipe? I just bought some of the new Land O Lakes European butter. Very good. 82% butter fat so nice and creamy.

Check it out here >>> https://www.landolakes.com/products...UQfYXBbihRk7t0b23dXwWXc87rupze8IeERoCA0rw_wcB

IMG_1496.PNG

I wonder how garlic butter would taste using this butter.

We had scrambled eggs, bacon and toasted English muffins.

Last edited:
I'm still aiming to stay under 50g of carbs a day MsM, but I do still use your great garlic butter recipe when I don't get lazy and use frozen Texas Toast for the SC. ;)

That butter looks interesting. My favorite has always been Challenge Butter.

I'm still aiming to stay under 50g of carbs a day MsM, but I do still use your great garlic butter recipe when I don't get lazy and use frozen Texas Toast for the SC. ;)

That butter looks interesting. My favorite has always been Challenge Butter.

I've never heard of that brand. I like Land O Lakes butter. I love the packaging in the stay fresh wrapping that keeps unwanted flavors out. But I only buy it on sale. This new European butter was on sale $2.99/lb. I picked up 4! LOL That should last awhile. I haven't made garlic butter/bread in quite awhile. May be time. Or I can wait till Christmas Eve.

You could cut the bread out and use the garlic butter to make shrimp scampi or top a steak. Just saying. LOL No need to be garlic butter deprived.

Last edited:
Oooh. This butter interests me greatly, MsM. I haven't seen it around here yet. Will keep looking.

We got home in the wee-too-early AM on Friday, so I was looking for a meal with the least amount of labor. Went fishing around in the freezer and snagged the quart of shrimp-and-sausage gumbo. :yum: All I needed to do was cook rice. Worked great!

...frozen Texas Toast for the SC...
That is our daughter's favorite brand! I try to plan a dinner around it so that she can have a surprise when she comes home to a Mom-cooked meal. So looking forward to cooking for my kiddos next month. :heart:

Pan fried Italian style, breaded (panko with PR and dry basil) chicken breast cutlets with a light tomato sauce. A gratin of potato, plum tomato and fresh basil topped with fresh grated PR.

Since my second job (seasonal) picked up, we have been doing some throw together meals like this.

Last edited:
We got hold of a 2½ pound chicken for 2.8 USD, for us that is cheap and we had roasted chicken with potatoes, gravies and peas.

Reason for the chicken being cheap, I have been a loyal customer since the store started and I got it at 60% off.

Back
Top Bottom