Greasy Spoons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
Does your town/city have a "greasy spoon" restaurant? The kind that you can go in and get a burger for 2 bucks. There is one in Jamestown called AJ's..... 3 hot dogs for $2-something, and that includes fries.

We had one in town years ago but it closed. We have a very good one about 20 minutes from my house called Bates Burgers. It is often packed.

They are on about every corner around here! To name a few, The Clock, Liberty Bell, Joe's(this is my kids favorite), The Huddle, Bantam Chef, I could go on & on here! :LOL:

there are so many around my house. not really diners (the diners near me are trying to become 4 star restaurants), but it seems like on every corner, there is a cheap hot dog/burger stand. sometimes, it is only a catering truck that is in the same unused parking lot every day. sometimes, it is in a tiny stand alone building on a small corner lot. the best one is near a small airport (teterboro) called bubba's. great egg and italian sausage sammiches.

Haven't found a good one here yet. Worked in one when I was in college. They lined up out the door on Friday nights for the catfish special.

buckytom said:
sometimes, it is only a catering truck that is in the same unused parking lot every day.

These are known affectionately as "barf wagons" or "roach coaches" by guys like HH in the construction world. Often have excellent breakfast sandwiches for little money.

I forgot one!! Pete's #6, I can't believe I forgot that one, they have the best steak fingers!!

Bang, thanks, I love having them around.

yum.. what are steak fingers?... are they like chicken-fried steak?

erm.. I kinda figured that.. lol

they must be steak slices thrown in a breading of some sort and fried. Do they serve a dip with them?

:LOL:

Most of the time they are served with bbq sauce. They also make a sauce at Pete's that they serve with them. It's kind of like a bbq sauce but it's diffrent. I don't know how to describe it. :?

We have a TON of greasy spoons here (I was actually a cook at one some years back, believe it or not!) How can you not love a place that cooks everything on the same stainless steel surface! Actually, it's kind of a scary thought when you think about it. Hint: Take a look at the grease traps underneath the grill surface! :shock:

DampCharcoal said:
We have a TON of greasy spoons here (I was actually a cook at one some years back, believe it or not!) How can you not love a place that cooks everything on the same stainless steel surface! Actually, it's kind of a scary thought when you think about it. Hint: Take a look at the grease traps underneath the grill surface! :shock:

Thats gross. :shock:

We have a ton of greasy spoons/diners here in Central PA. Like any kind of restaurant, some are fantastic and others you'd never want to set foot in! There are a couple near us that have great--and very cheap--breakfasts (2 eggs, toast, potatoes and for $1.29, that kind of thing). A couple have fantastic home-made pies and soups, too.

A guy I used to work with was a huge diner fan. I'd like to say it was because he was a foodie but he really was just incredibly cheap and was looking for the cheapest food, no matter the quality. He even had a coffee table book of PA diners that he'd keep in the car so that when he was traveling, he could visit the diners and have the cooks sign the book! :roll:

lol@coffee table book... makes me think of the show Seinfeld.. lmao

PA Baker said:
I'd say that's an accurate definition!

I think of Greasy spoon as those places that are all white inside and out and have the bar sttols at the counter and facing the window. There is often a carry out window too. The burgers are cooked with grilled onions and you can eat the burger in about 4 bites. The buns are steamed. They are usually topped with sliced dill pickles.

Back
Top Bottom