Iron Chef America & The Asininity Of Nouvelle Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daphne duLibre

Washing Up
"Iron Chef America" is only slightly less absurd than "Iron Chef" -- which is venued in Japan. Japanese culture lionizes complicated, obscure food preparation which is typified by "blow fish" cuisine, where the fish will kill you if it's not correctly prepared.

C'mon, ****it . . . I don't have a lot of call in my kitchen for double-distilled and flambee Tibetan yak testicles. :mrgreen:

Iron Chef is for the most part "Nouvelle Cuisine" -- over-wrought, "fussied" plates. Huge on presentation, miniscule on portion, fixated on color and texture.

Alton Brown -- the "Science Guy" of the Food Channel -- narrates the show, and I'm always interested in his comments about preparation technique, standard cooking terms, etc.

I just don't get a lot of demand in my kitchen for saffron smoked Monarch butterfly wings.

Additionally -- and there's an ad on TV these days that reinforces this "commercial kitchen" image of "rush, rush, rush."

I don't hurry in my kitchen. I don't shout. I don't move fast. And I don't flail my arms in an effort to get things "up to speed."

Tex-Mex BBQ -- brisket, and about 18 hrs of smokin'. Veggies get chopped, and served. Sometimes they get cooked. Sometimes we eat them raw/fresh.

I'll be ****ed if I own a flat, white plate -- and I never drizzle anything as a "garni" on the presentation. Presentation is typically a huge platter and tongs to move it to your plate.

Yeah, yeah . . . I can do sushi too . . . But I don't actually eat the stuff.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm not an Iron Chef fan - but ther other day I caught a bit of an episode where the 'surprise' ingredient was ground beef. Both chefs were American as far as I could tell, and they did quite wonderfully. On the whole, though, I am confused/bemused by food trends. I see so many flavours being layered into dishes, even (or maybe especially) at chain restaurants, that it seems almost silly. -Sandyj

Sandyj said:
I'm not an Iron Chef fan - but ther other day I caught a bit of an episode where the 'surprise' ingredient was ground beef. Both chefs were American as far as I could tell, and they did quite wonderfully. On the whole, though, I am confused/bemused by food trends. I see so many flavours being layered into dishes, even (or maybe especially) at chain restaurants, that it seems almost silly. -Sandyj

Chic alors! *G*

You wanna layer flavours ???

Pork loin, BBQ.

BBQ sauce.

More pork loin, BBQ.

-- sauce . . . etc.

Daphne duLibre said:
"Iron Chef America" is only slightly less absurd than "Iron Chef" -- which is venued in Japan. Japanese culture lionizes complicated, obscure food preparation which is typified by "blow fish" cuisine, where the fish will kill you if it's not correctly prepared.

C'mon, ****it . . . I don't have a lot of call in my kitchen for double-distilled and flambee Tibetan yak testicles. :mrgreen:

Iron Chef is for the most part "Nouvelle Cuisine" -- over-wrought, "fussied" plates. Huge on presentation, miniscule on portion, fixated on color and texture.

Alton Brown -- the "Science Guy" of the Food Channel -- narrates the show, and I'm always interested in his comments about preparation technique, standard cooking terms, etc.

I just don't get a lot of demand in my kitchen for saffron smoked Monarch butterfly wings.

Additionally -- and there's an ad on TV these days that reinforces this "commercial kitchen" image of "rush, rush, rush."

I don't hurry in my kitchen. I don't shout. I don't move fast. And I don't flail my arms in an effort to get things "up to speed."

Tex-Mex BBQ -- brisket, and about 18 hrs of smokin'. Veggies get chopped, and served. Sometimes they get cooked. Sometimes we eat them raw/fresh.

I'll be ****ed if I own a flat, white plate -- and I never drizzle anything as a "garni" on the presentation. Presentation is typically a huge platter and tongs to move it to your plate.

Yeah, yeah . . . I can do sushi too . . . But I don't actually eat the stuff.

Those who can do it, can. Those who can't complain and moan about it while criticizing a field that they have absolutely no clue about whatsoever. You really should've pursued a career as a politcal analyst. At least they get paid to do what they do. The only asininity invovled is your misguided opinion and obvious ignorance on the subject matter.

That's real, and that's how it is. Please don't let your inability to accept reality handicap you any more than it already has. Your other posts on this site have only demonstrated that you are not only unaware of your ignorance, but are proud of it as well.

Last edited:
Well yeah that is kind of the point of the Iron Chef. The "Chairman" from either show puts the chefs together to compete but the real point of the show is to create new never before seen dishes as a result of the kitchen battle.

I did see that beef battle to and that Ultimate Hamburger did look really good.

The skill of the chef's to put together four or five dishes in an hour is something to watch. Some of the dishes they come up with are a bit extreme, but some of them are sound quite presentable. The only porblem I have with the show is that it is the narotor's attempt to seriously over-dramatize the competiton.

But then, you have to remember the culture from which this show sprang. Think about the many oriental Chinese Operas (Kung Fu films), Godzilla, and the host of childrens shows that take a simple scene and blow it way out of proportion, adding exclamation points where commas belong in our culture.

Iron Chef, and Iron Chef America are in their purest for, entertainment. I have learned techniques from watching the shows. My eyes have been opened to ingredients I never would have known existed. Though some of them don't appeal to me, they obviously appeal to many.

Don't try to judge the show on the merits of a show that teaches. That's not what it is. Rather, judge it on how it entertains, with a truly Asian flare, and what new techniques it brings to those who watch it. And most assuredly, there is a great deal of skill that the chef's portray.

And though I've never worked for any length of time in a proffesional kitchen, except as a dishwasher when I was a young teen, I have had to prepare multi-course meals in an hour for various cooking demonstrations that I have been a part of. And watching the organizational skills of the chefs, how they create strategies for cooking their dishes, has helped me immensly.

Suffice it to say that when we criticize, we tear down. When we give constructive criticism, we build the knowledge of those who are looking for that crit. When we praise, we lift not only the spirits of those praised, but our own spirits as well.

My Dad once told me something I will never forget, and though it has nothing to do with food, or even criticism for that matter, it holds true throughout life, and can be adjusted to fit all situations. And I quote "Never complain that a person makes more money than you. Rather, strive to increase your earnings to match his."

My take on this; never complain that someone has more skill, or is more talented, or is better off in any way than you. Rather, increase your skill, tallent, or personal value to match. And realize that though one person may be better at some little thing, you are better in another.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom