Labor Day Dinner....Monday 9-7-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure yet here. :LOL:

I'm kind of leaning towards either a big plate of homemade nachos, or a loaded up tostada. I was thinking about grilling, but the wind is coming up so I'll do that another day.

What's on your plate? :chef:

No family backyard picnic for this holiday. We are going to a local VFW/ Am Legion for a steak barbecue. Fund raiser for them, good price for us. I think the last one of these we went to (elsewhere) you could ask for your steak cooked to whatever temperature and they brought out plates and platters, all cooked the same. Over done. Maybe this time will be different. I am practicing chewing exercises while I type this. But still, no cooking for me and it's still tasty.

A baked chicken quarter. Steamed Broccoli w/butter and chicken drippings. No carbs tonight. :angel:

Plans keep changing. It looks like we are going to a concert of the Grateful Dead music, which starts right about dinner time. Maybe just some corn on the cob before we leave.

Chicken and Tasso jambalaya with collard greens. Trying to figure a dessert using vanilla wafers, cherry jam and heavy whipping cream. Any ideas?

I have a 10# pork loin in the fridge right now, so we'll have pork chops on the grill. And later this week. And still three chunks will go in the freezer...if I can find space. :ermm: I also bought fresh corn, so Himself will grill four of them for tonight and I'll micro and clean the other four to freeze. I plan on making Fattoush for our salad, so I'd better get busy.

Strawberry shortcake Goddess style tonight: angelfood cake, sliced berries, and ice cream. Not authentic, but gooo-oood! :yum:

We had our Labor Day cookout Sunday. Tonight's dinner will be a salad and pot stickers with a homemade dipping sauce. Leftover dessert from yesterday tonight. Either Chocolate eclair dessert or lemon squares.

Steak on the grill and leftover green beanz from last night.

img_1435335_0_cc92ede740b68ff299bde8de617e1631.jpg

I see there are lots of folks from Minnesota here. I used to live in Winona and miss the state dearly, even the Winters.

Tonight I'll grill a steak and bake a potato. Hopefully there is more tomatoes in the bed and will go out to look shortly.

:ohmy: Steve....what a beautiful dinner! Makes my mouth water for steak. :yum:

Dawg, glad you're inspired! I love nachos, but after seeing Steve's pic I want to grill a steak. :ermm::LOL:

Cheryl, you are very bad! I have a ribeye in the freezer!

Nice steak, Steve!

DH is grilling steak and corn on the cob and I have salads chilling in the fridge. We'll also finish up the mustard aioli potato salad.

Cheryl, you are very bad! I have a ribeye in the freezer!

Nice steak, Steve!

It's still going to be nachos! Or a tostada, or...a burrito...:LOL:

My SIL recently gave me 3 nice ribeyes from one of his grass fed steers, that I've been SO looking forward to grilling. They're all frozen together in one package though, so it's going to have to be at a small family gathering - at least more than just me. I hope it's soon! :ohmy: :yum:

Last edited:
Made couple of pizzas. had to do it twice too. My wife was cleaning the stove and I grabbed one of the cleaning chemicals and sprayed the baking sheet thinking I had Pam oil in my hand, the both containers were yellow. I only realised after I put the dough on it.
But everybody liked it. Also they were pretty hungry so there are no pictures. :rolleyes:

Made couple of pizzas. had to do it twice too. My wife was cleaning the stove and I grabbed one of the cleaning chemicals and sprayed the baking sheet thinking I had Pam oil in my hand, the both containers were yellow. I only realised after I put the dough on it.
But everybody liked it. Also they were pretty hungry so there are no pictures. :rolleyes:

:LOL::LOL: Oh my! I have to admit that made me laugh. And yes, I have made similar mistakes. The most recent one was with cinnamon/cayenne pepper. :ohmy::ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
Oh no, Charlie! That's a shame. Time to hunt down Duct Tape in the skulls and crossbones pattern and wrap a band around the bottle with the cleaning solution.
il_214x170.659452194_i1kl.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom