National Chili Day! What are you cooking, Thursday, the 24th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
It's not ready yet, but it is starting to smell really good, after simmering just over an hour! This was a good way to use some old beef from the freezer, plus some of that ground venison. I cooked 1 1/2 c black beans halfway, and continued cooking them with all the chili ingredients.

Saw it comin' and got ready for it!

Zippy's Chili Frank Plate Deluxe.jpg

Zippy's Chili Frank Plate!

We ordered from the hamburger place, but other stuff this time. DH got a cheese steak sub and I got their sriracha battered fish and chips, but I got my regular grilled asparagus instead of the fries. It was an interesting idea to use sriracha in the batter. It didn't clash with the fish, but it didn't really enhance it either. I'll stick to regular breading or batter on my fish in the future.

Well this is funny, because I had no idea it was national chili day, but I just fixed my son chili dogs and shells & cheese for dinner.

I made a pan of pork and peppers in a Thai peanut sauce. The recipe is for a slow cooker, but I needed to get it done quickly. Turned out good, but we actually like the slow cooker results better.

IMG_20220224_200236166_HDR.jpg

I made that chili today! I got 1 1/2 lbs of beef and 1 lb of ground venison out of the freezer. While thawing gradually in the MW, I set up 1 1/2 c black beans to cook in the IP for just 20 min. This way, they were still firm, but ready to finish the cooking in the chili.

I browned the beef over maximum heat - despite being watery, from freezing, it eventually browned, though I set off some smoke alarms while doing it! The onion went in next, followed by the garlic, then the minced up green chiles. I deglazed the pan, and all that went into the IP. Then the spices - Pecos red, Texas Red Dog, Ranchero, some chile caribe, and some sweet paprika, for the chili flavors, plus some crushed black pepper, Mexican oregano, and some cumin. Then a little more water, salt to taste, then it all simmered on high slow cook for 2 1/2 hrs. This mode keeps it at a simmer, about what I get in a Dutch oven in the oven at about 280°, which is what I've always liked with chili, and some other stews. I thickened it with about 4 tb masa harina, with some of the liquid mixed with it in a bowl, then added back to the chili, mixed well, and simmered another 5 minutes or so. During this cooking, I heated some fresh corn tortillas, and these are always my favorite serve these with chili.
Browned beef for the chili, before browning the ground venison. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Next with the onion. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

1 1/2 tb garlic, plus 1/3 c roasted, peeled chiles, frozen from last season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Adding 3 types of pure chili powder, plus some sweet paprika. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Everything added to the Instant Pot, ready to simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Heated tortillas, to eat with the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chili, after thickening with 1/4 c masa harina. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chili, with a little shredded cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Salad and Cheese tortellini, sausage, and cherry tomatoes.

salad_022422_img_9333-jpg.48265

sausage_tortellini_022422_img_9328-jpg.48266

Back
Top Bottom