October 5, 2018. Um, National Rocky Mountain Oyster Day. What's for supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Well, Kroger was all out of testicles, so I guess I'll toss some sausage, peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet, instead.

CD

Last edited:
We had stove top grilled sirloin steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli rabe.

corn, cheese, onion pancake and steamed kennebec potatoes with sour cream.

Grilled pork tenderloin marinated in a 3-mustard/honey/cream mix, then served with the same (reserved mix) as a sauce. Sides were packet potatoes, seasoned potatoes in a foil packet, cooked on the grill plus honeydew and watermelon chunks.

Smith’s was plum out of testicles, darn it. Just as well; I’ve got a dreadful head cold and am not in any mood to cook. Tonight will be scrounge night; a sandwich, or maybe a tortilla pizza. Or maybe hot dogs. I finally got to the Korean market, so I’ve got some kimchi. I’ve got a few of those delicious Private Selection brisket hot dogs. Add the kimchi, some American cheese, and some Kewpie and I’ve got one awesome dog!

Ummmm, never had Rocky Mountain Oysters and never will, thank you very much, I'm allergic to Oysters :LOL:

I wanted to thank Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street for tending to my "Lucky Bamboo" plant while we were gone, so I made her a rif on Kayelle's Chile Relleno Casserole...

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...t-patricks-day-green-chile-relleno-casserole/

hatch chile and chicken relleno casserole.jpg

hatch chile and chicken relleno casserole1.jpg

hatch chile and chicken relleno casserole2.jpg

hatch chile and chicken relleno casserole3.jpg

hatch chile and chicken relleno casserole4.jpg

My different version:
First off, it was half-sized, not a 9X13" pan but rather a tin foil disposable 8X8" pan
Also, I added Poached & Shredded B/S Chicken Thigh Meat to the three layers;
I added Cilantro to the custard portion of the recipe and
in addition, I mixed the ground Cumin and crushed Oregano in to the Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Oh and I used that new Tillamook brand Mexican 4 Cheese Farmstyle Cut

It smelled heavenly and it felt good sharing it with someone who appreciates having me cook for them every once in a while (she doesn't cook)
:chef:

The very last of the short ribs carved off the bone, veggies, mashed 'taters, and gravy....all mixed up together in a casserole. :yum: Proud of myself this time...I used up every last bit of the leftovers, except for the bones. :ermm: :LOL:

Looks delish, kgirl. :yum: Chile relleno casserole is one of my faves - that'll be on the menu soon. :chef:

I had a late afternoon appointment with my heart doctor, and after the wonderful report that my AFIB has not returned since I had a Cardioversion procedure a year ago, it was time for celebration.

We drove down to the beach to our favorite place to watch the sunset and have fish and chips and one libation each. A big hunk of shared carrot cake with macadamia nut ice cream topped off the celebration. Next month we'll be cruising west to Hawaii for our 11th anniversary.

I made Texas Sausage, Peppers and Onions. It is basically the same as the Italian version, but I used some "German" sausage from Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville, Texas. It is not a real "German" sausage, but that part of Texas was heavily settled by German immigrants, they created a lot of new sausages using what was available In Texas. So, it is a Texas sausage with German roots.

Anyway, I had a bunch in the freezer -- I buy it in five-pound cryovac bags, split it into smaller Foodsaver bags, and freeze it. It is good stuff!

CD

Attachments

• TxSausPepp001.jpg
    TxSausPepp001.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 123
I had a late afternoon appointment with my heart doctor, and after the wonderful report that my AFIB has not returned since I had a Cardioversion procedure a year ago, it was time for celebration.

We drove down to the beach to our favorite place to watch the sunset and have fish and chips and one libation each. A big hunk of shared carrot cake with macadamia nut ice cream topped off the celebration. Next month we'll be cruising west to Hawaii for our 11th anniversary.

thumbsup.jpg

YEAH!!!

Now, go enjoy Kauai!!

Ummmm, never had Rocky Mountain Oysters and never will, thank you very much, I'm allergic to Oysters :LOL:

I wanted to thank Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street for tending to my "Lucky Bamboo" plant while we were gone, so I made her a rif on Kayelle's Chile Relleno Casserole...

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...t-patricks-day-green-chile-relleno-casserole/

View attachment 31746

View attachment 31747

View attachment 31748

View attachment 31749

View attachment 31750

My different version:
First off, it was half-sized, not a 9X13" pan but rather a tin foil disposable 8X8" pan
Also, I added Poached & Shredded B/S Chicken Thigh Meat to the three layers;
I added Cilantro to the custard portion of the recipe and
in addition, I mixed the ground Cumin and crushed Oregano in to the Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Oh and I used that new Tillamook brand Mexican 4 Cheese Farmstyle Cut

It smelled heavenly and it felt good sharing it with someone who appreciates having me cook for them every once in a while (she doesn't cook)
:chef:

The above was for myself and our neighbor,
NOW...
as for DH on Aloha Friday (as we would in Hawaii Nei) I made:

002.jpg

Keoki's Brand Pork Laulau (half of one anyways...they're SO BIG!)
steamed White Rice
Aloha Brand Shoyu & Onion Ahi Poke
Kamaboko
In the center of the plate is my new acquisition Shoyu dish filled with Wasabi and Soy Sauce

*Cook's note: please watch the video attached to Ahi Poke from Foodland, this chef is wonderful!!

Such a beautiful picture Casey. It looks like it was taken by a professional. Oh wait..:ohmy::ROFLMAO:;)

Thanks. That half red/half green jalapeño caught my attention when I was watering the garden, and was the inspiration for the shot, and to some degree, the meal. I was not sure what to cook for dinner, and that pepper jarred my little grey cells.

CD

Last edited:
Casey....that's a really nice pic, so colorful! :yum:

Kay....what wonderful news from your heart doctor, and your celebratory oceanside dinner sounds so good.... :flowers:

Kayelle, that's great news about the doctor's exam!

Joel, maybe you did have prairie oysters after all - perhaps the "Private Selections" hot dogs were made from Special "Parts". :brows:

We split the two leftover ribs from last night; I sauteed the radish and turnip greens with bacon, ham, and canellini beans; and I pulled a bag of pulled pork from the freezer and served it up in a toasted piece of baguette.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom