Saturday Supper..9/29/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Carl's Jr. is advertising a "Pastrami Thickburger" and I'm betting I can make a better one.
I'll be making them with everything toasted bagels (thanks for the idea Casey). The bottom will have red onion pickle tomato and the cheese patty will be topped with thin sliced deli pastrami. We'll have tater tots with them.

Hope our jaws have hinges.

What's going on at your house?

Remember to toast those bagels.

I have some beef short ribs braising in the CI DO in the oven. It is almost time to pull the DO out of the oven, and let everything rest, while I make some mashed red potatoes.

CD

Molten lava cakes with almond butter and orange water centers. Craig has dinner pics on his phone.

Attachments

• 2018-09-29 19.22.59.jpg
    2018-09-29 19.22.59.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 2018-09-29 19.23.24.jpg
    2018-09-29 19.23.24.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 112
Remember to toast those bagels.

I have some beef short ribs braising in the CI DO in the oven. It is almost time to pull the DO out of the oven, and let everything rest, while I make some mashed red potatoes.

CD

The short ribs and taters turned out great!

The brazing liquid was chicken stock (I don't care much for beef stock), with onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme.

CD

Attachments

• ShortRibs001.jpg
    ShortRibs001.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 116
Looks and sounds great, gang!
Pork Souvlaki, lemon taters, and some Greek salad..I smell like beer and garlic..buurrrrppp!..It's been a long week..

Attachments

• 42748539_285042468999611_5359537930303963136_n.jpg
    42748539_285042468999611_5359537930303963136_n.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 118
Carl's Jr. is advertising a "Pastrami Thickburger" and I'm betting I can make a better one.
I'll be making them with everything toasted bagels (thanks for the idea Casey). The bottom will have red onion pickle tomato and the cheese patty will be topped with thin sliced deli pastrami. We'll have tater tots with them.

Yep Casey, the bagels were toasted and the sliced smoked Gouda cheese hit it right outa the ball park. Eat your heart out, Carl's Jr.

Attachments

• P9290009[1].jpg
    P9290009[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 124
  • P9290010[1].jpg
    P9290010[1].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 119
What fabulous looking dinner pics, all! Kay, yes I hope your jaws unhinged, that's one tall sammie! Looks and sounds wonderful - I love pastrami and I'm sure you beat Carl's Jr. with that one.

Casey, short ribs and mashies is one of my fave dishes. :yum: It's been a while since I've had it. You've inspired me - that will be on the menu this week. I like carrots in the mix, and gravy from the pan drippin's poured over everything.

Roch, I could go for some of that souvlaki. Yum. Med, I want one of those lava cakes.

This afternoon's dinner was pan seared shrimp with garlic/lemon butter for dippin', and asparagus. No pics, since I've already shared so many similar ones. :ermm::LOL:

Wow, all of your dinners made me hungry all over again...

Himself was out stargazing, so I made a pot of barley-mushroom soup. He likes warming up with soup after hours of standing in a field surrounded by mist. More of the baguette to go with the soup, too.

With trying to cook thick burgers...the outside comes out too done. Do you reduce the heat after searing each side? I'm trying with limited success to fry up thick burgers. Smash it down? How do you keep the outside not burnt while cooking the inside?

This is the reason I buy hamburger and mash it down into thin patties.

Last edited:
North Carolina Dipped Chicken and potato salad.

Chicken out of the fryer and before dipping.
36788-albums1123-picture7602.jpg

After dipping with our standard, go to potato salad.
36788-albums1123-picture7603.jpg

With trying to cook thick burgers...the outside comes out too done. Do you reduce the heat after searing each side? I'm trying with limited success to fry up thick burgers. Smash it down? How do you keep the outside not burnt while cooking the inside?

Yep, it's just as simple as that Caslon.

What great looking meals gang!!:yum::chef:

You’re right.

Sear both sides then turn the heat down and finish cooking the interior. Or you could do all the cooking on a lower heat setting.

Casey, short ribs and mashies is one of my fave dishes. :yum: It's been a while since I've had it. You've inspired me - that will be on the menu this week. I like carrots in the mix, and gravy from the pan drippin's poured over everything.

I usually strain and reduce some of the brazing liquid to hake a sauce, but I got busy with my taters, and forgot. The meat was so moist, it didn't need anything, and I made my taters more creamy than I usually do, so I didn't really miss the sauce.

CD

You’re right.

Sear both sides then turn the heat down and finish cooking the interior. Or you could do all the cooking on a lower heat setting.

If you cook on a grill, have a hot area and a less hot area. Move the burgers to the less hot area to finish cooking.

Indoors, you can also sear on the stovetop, and move the burgers to the oven to finish cooking.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom