Sunday, fun day, what's on your plate? 11/12/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had a reversed seared rib eye, creamed spinach, and fondant potatoes. Steak is a bit on the rare side, but we'd rather that than on the two much on the medium side. Of course, DD would be thrilled to be served a piece even more rare.

Attachments

• 2017-11-12 18.02.53.jpg
    2017-11-12 18.02.53.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 131
Because of feelings of guilt with all our junk food meals this past week, we are having a large, healthy salad with crackers for supper..

Of course, there will be pie later... :ermm: Pumpkin pie.. With whipped cream.. :yum:

Ross

And I meant too, not two. Edit time expired. I always have a problem when I post on my phone, getting old eyes I guess.

Last edited:
That's 2- 2's, but who's counting.

I'm sort of backwards today, and trying to catch up. For a late breakfast I nuked a couple spare ribs and made home fries. For supper in a little while I decided to make a couple slices of sour dough French toast and some sliced Costco jarred peaches. Sprinkle of cinnamon on one or the other.

I made myself hungry when I wrote this earlier today on the Thanksgiving Dressing thread so this is what we're having tonight.
As I mentioned when I make the dressing, I make lots and freeze it in quart zip lock bags. One of our favorite year round meals is making two mounds of defrosted dressing in a bake pan, and topping the mounds with two well seasoned skillet browned chicken thighs, finishing in the oven. The juices from the thighs into the dressing is spectacular, just like a stuffed bird. A gravy can be made with the fond in the skillet for mashed potatoes. Yummy!!
That's now the end of the dressing 2016

Last edited:
Grilled Strip steak (smoked), whole mushrooms (simmered in butter and Maggi sauce), pan fried potatoes & onions & tomato salad (tomatoes, onions, salt, ground pepper, red wine vinegar, EVOO & shredded mozzarella).

steak_mushrooms_111217_1_IMG_3442.jpg

steak_mushrooms_111217_2_IMG_3440.jpg

I made pork carnitas for the first time. They were OK, but nothing special. I did them in the slow cooker (a Cuisanart Multi-Cooker) with the following recipe, and put the meat under the broiler for 10 minutes. Not sure if I'll try again.

https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/10/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/

Hi, tenspeed. It might not be traditional, but I like a little more moisture to carnitas. It sounds like 10 minutes under the broiler was a bit too much.

Lovely looking and sounding dinners. :yum: I had leftover spaghetti, a slice of toasted sourdough, and a small tossed salad.

Grilled Strip steak (smoked), whole mushrooms (simmered in butter and Maggi sauce), pan fried potatoes & onions & tomato salad (tomatoes, onions, salt, ground pepper, red wine vinegar, EVOO & shredded mozzarella).

View attachment 28399

View attachment 28400

Mmmmm, butter and Maggi mushrooms. I'm drooling thinking about them.

K-L, I love the idea of chicken over dressing. Gonna try that soon.

KGirl, one of my faves too, and that looks delicious!

med, your steak looks as perfectly rare as you can get without being blue. Nicely done.

After working until noon, then going to the rugby film shoot, I just went home and had leftover pizza that I found in the fridge. DW had to drive some kids home afterwards, but when she finally got home to our house and asked what I had eaten, she mentioned that the pizza was from Halloween, a week and a half old. :ohmy:

It was very well wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil, so it really didn't dry out more than what seemed like day old pizza. Topped with some chopped raw onions and Frank's hot sauce, I popped a few slices into the toaster oven. It was actually pretty good. So much for the rules about tossing out leftovers after 3 days.

I made pork carnitas for the first time. They were OK, but nothing special. I did them in the slow cooker (a Cuisanart Multi-Cooker) with the following recipe, and put the meat under the broiler for 10 minutes. Not sure if I'll try again.

https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/10/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/

If you try it again, cut the pork shoulder up into about 2-inch chunks so that the seasonings can get into the meat better. I also brown my pork chunks before braising.

CD

I started the day with the free hotel breakfast in Scottsdale. On the way home from the airport in Dallas, I stopped at Rock and Brews to watch the second half of the Steelers game, and had a pretty tasty Smoked Turkey BLT sammich, with a side of really good, crispy outside, fluffy inside fries.

Photoshopping pics and grazing tonight.

CD

I made pork carnitas for the first time. They were OK, but nothing special...
I've made this recipe before, tenspeed. No broiling required. I do cut the cumin down way low, as it gives me heartburn. Mexican Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos

We did a little driving around today, stopping at a citrus store for some of their delicious, fresh-squeezed OJ. This year's pressing is good; last year we didn't bother buying any. After that, we wandered down the west side of SW Florida, making it as far south as Naples. Naples? Ah, Trader Joe's has a place there. After saying hi to Joe (and dropping some $$), we ate supper at a place in Bonita Springs called The Fish House. Himself loves grouper, so he got their basket of crispy breaded grouper, fries, and coleslaw. I forgot to take a photo until after he had done some serious damage to that thing - sorry! I had a tuna melt. This one was different, though, using sushi grade Ahi tuna steak. Topped with Swiss cheese, tomato, and lettuce, it came as a sandwich. A very rare-tuna sandwich. I know it's sacrilegious, but I can't eat rare tuna. I'm fine with rare steak, though! Anyway, the cook bucked up and got the interior to a pale pink, and I totally enjoyed it. Mostly without the bread, since I had hush puppies instead of fries, plus coleslaw.

Attachments

• 20171112_204543.jpg
    20171112_204543.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 123
  • 20171112_204619.jpg
    20171112_204619.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 135
We had a youth fundraiser luncheon after church. BBQ and stews. it was ok, deserts was good. Raised lots of money for the youth winter retreat. good times!

Hi, tenspeed. It might not be traditional, but I like a little more moisture to carnitas. It sounds like 10 minutes under the broiler was a bit too much.

If you try it again, cut the pork shoulder up into about 2-inch chunks so that the seasonings can get into the meat better. I also brown my pork chunks before braising.

CD

I've made this recipe before, tenspeed. No broiling required. I do cut the cumin down way low, as it gives me heartburn. Mexican Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about cutting the pork shoulder into smaller cubes, but went with the recipe for the first go around.

One of the nice things about the multi-cooker is that I can brown meat in the metal insert (or crock), and then switch to slow cook. That way I can keep the nice browned bits without having to deglaze a separate pan.

Took my daughter and her boyfriend out to a French restaurant for her 25th birthday. I had creamy chestnut veloute soup to start (I need to learn how to make this), followed by a confit duck leg and asparagus with bearnaise sauce. Good food.

Back
Top Bottom