Sunday's Dinner - 11/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
New York Strip in the Grill Pan, smothered in Mushrooms & Onions that were sauteed in butter and Cabernet,,,,
Sides are Air-Roasted Fingerlings and Harvard Beets...

N.Y. Strip, Grilled 11-14-21.jpg

Picture this!

A thick, heavy, dark walnut cutting board. Beautifully arranged on this handsome board is a selection of cheeses, cured meats, pickles and olives. Each of the items on the board is carefully rolled or folded to please the eye as well as the palate. There’s prosciutto folded to resemble flowers, Genoa salami rolled tightly into thin tubes and pepperoni. The cheeses, Parmigiano Reggiano, fresh mozzarella and sharp cheddar, have been carefully brought to room temperature to bring out their flavors. Served with this gustatory revelation is an ice cold Sam Adams Boston Lager. A charcuterie board for the ages.

This was my dinner tonight.

Well… Not exactly.

I don’t have a walnut cutting board. I certainly don’t have the patience for all the ‘fussy’ work required to make food pretty. I did have all those food items and I did drink that beer. It wasn’t pretty but it was really good.

We three are finishing off the majority of the leftovers from eating out over the past week.

While I was gone at the beginning of the week, Mom & DH went out to eat three times and Mom always only eats half her plate. :cool:

DH was saying to me just last night, we've got to cut back on the eating out.
Sometimes though, we don't have too much of choice on that, so ...

I really didn't want to order out again. But, I thought about it. I decided that getting some other stuff done was more important and time sensitive than making supper. I wasn't going to have the spoons for both, so we ordered out from one of our favourite Italian restos. We shared an appetizer called:

"The Butcher's Board: Prosciutto di parma, cacciatore, salami picante, parmigiano reggiano, provolone, gorgonzola dolce, grilled artichokes, semi dried cherry tomatoes, fig jam" And lots of slices of baguette with garlic.

And a pasta dish:

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 17-07-19 Pâtes Fettuccini Radiatore Fettuccini Radiatore Pasta Uber Eat.jpg

Yummy food and very little in the way of leftovers.

I was going to make this last night, but my cousin called, and we talked for over 2 hours! So I made it today, instead. It's a Goan style dish - hot, and sour, with a coconut base, a LOT of garlic! I doubled the original recipe, as it was for 2 lbs mussels in the shells, but I had 2 lbs frozen mussels, removed from the shells. I didn't have fresh coconut, so I used some re-hydrated, unsweetened coconut instead, like I usually do, when it's ground to a paste.

The onions are sautéed in some oil, until golden, then garlic, ginger, and 6 chopped Thai green chilis are added, and cooked 2 minutes. The coconut paste (with roasted coriander, cumin, and 18 dried chilis in it), tomatoes, tamarind, salt, and a little water is added, and cooked down about 10 min. Then the mussels were added, and cooked, covered, about 4 minutes. Some coconut vinegar was added here, and a little jaggery, to adjust tartness. Served on some reheated brown basmati rice and oat groats. Absolutely delicious, and not too hot, even with all those peppers. Most were the late harvested Meteors, so this sort of proves they weren't very hot.

This probably took less time to cook than the rice and oats a couple nights earlier!
Goan style mussels, served on reheated basmati brown rice and oat groats. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Picture this!

A thick, heavy, dark walnut cutting board. Beautifully arranged on this handsome board is a selection of cheeses, cured meats, pickles and olives. Each of the items on the board is carefully rolled or folded to please the eye as well as the palate. There’s prosciutto folded to resemble flowers, Genoa salami rolled tightly into thin tubes and pepperoni. The cheeses, Parmigiano Reggiano, fresh mozzarella and sharp cheddar, have been carefully brought to room temperature to bring out their flavors. Served with this gustatory revelation is an ice cold Sam Adams Boston Lager. A charcuterie board for the ages.

This was my dinner tonight.

Well… Not exactly.

I don’t have a walnut cutting board. I certainly don’t have the patience for all the ‘fussy’ work required to make food pretty. I did have all those food items and I did drink that beer. It wasn’t pretty but it was really good.
Love it. :LOL:

Ross

Last edited:
We made our annual trip to Bahama Breeze for a late dinner of appetizers and drinks. Himself had a Mojito Cubano and I had a frozen Pina colada. Then we shared beef empanadas, chicken tostones, coconut shrimp, and skillet-simmered jerk shrimp. Some of that is in the fridge, because our eyes are always bigger than our tummies!
View attachment 49901IMG_20211114_211059067_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom