Wednesday September 28th What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now now... :LOL:

Yeah, light. I just saw a broccoli crown in the crisper, so may just have that for dinner... blanched and sautéed in some EVOO, with some fresh grated parm on top... 4 pounds of diced bacon and red pepper flakes added as well... slivered almonds... light :blink:

there, i fixed it for ya.

I have some breaded chicken patties that I'll bake up and we'll have them on potato rolls with chips and salads. I bought a small container of Brussels sprouts that I'll fix as well. I've not cooked them before so it's an experiment. In the past, I've not cared for them but recently tried them again and found that my tastes have changed and so I'm going to try it out and see if I can add them to my repertoire of green veggies (peas, green beans, asparagus, broccoli) for some variety.

Try oven roasting the BS at a very high temp, it creates a sweeter taste than the boiled ones our moms served.

Try oven roasting the BS at a very high temp, it creates a sweeter taste than the boiled ones our moms served.

That is probably the reason I had nothing to do with them when I was a kid. Now I halve them, saute, then steam in a little broth. They do not resemble the ones mom used to try to get me to eat :) But my tastes have changed anyway.

Thanks for the tip Bea. The chicken cooks at 400° so I was going to prepare the sprouts with a bit of oil salt and pepper and bake them at the same time as the chicken. Hope they come out!

I was on the road a lot today running errands, etc. so I put a chicken in the crock-pot. I stuffed the cavity with onions, garlic and fresh rosemary. I also slid some rosemary sprigs under the skin of the breast. Added a smidge of white wine and let 'er go all day on low. We had mashed potatoes, freezer corn from last years silver queen corn, gravy, sliced fresh tomatoes, iced tea and more of last night's rice pudding. Oh, boy, are we full, but there's tons of chicken left for another time. Yeah!

I'm making chicken corn chowder in the crock-pot.
This was dinner.... soup is not an easy thing to photograph.

img_1053481_0_d3b432b325dc16b2a619d0d154b2ed08.jpg

That's a clever way to show off the soup. A spoonful above the bowl shows the chunky goodness that lurks beneath the surface.

Beautiful. I will have to dig out my chicken corn chowder recipe, can you share yours, VB?

DH just returned from his east coast trip with tales of the wonderful meals he enjoyed, so he gets leftovers tonight.

Beautiful. I will have to dig out my chicken corn chowder recipe, can you share yours, VB?

DH just returned from his east coast trip with tales of the wonderful meals he enjoyed, so he gets leftovers tonight.
Yep, I have to dig it out. My BF usually likes canned chicken-corn chowder. I thought I would make him the homemade version.

I thought I'd report on the brussel sprout experiment. I used a garlic dipping olive oil to coat the sprouts after trimming the stem and cutting in half. Sprinkled some salt and pepper and roasted at 425°f for 20 mins. DH liked them and had seconds. The yungun ate them but said they were missing something. I think I'll do this again and perhaps add a little butter after roasting and maybe a little garlic salt.

I thought I'd report on the brussel sprout experiment. I used a garlic dipping olive oil to coat the sprouts after trimming the stem and cutting in half. Sprinkled some salt and pepper and roasted at 425°f for 20 mins. DH liked them and had seconds. The yungun ate them but said they were missing something. I think I'll do this again and perhaps add a little butter after roasting and maybe a little garlic salt.

Next time toss in a splash of balsamic vinegar after you coat them with oil then toss again and roast.

If you use Pac's saute method cook a slice or two of bacon and then follow his instructions.

Both are good depending on your mood and your menu.

Put me down on the list of folks wanting to see the chicken/corn chowder recipe, too.

Back
Top Bottom