Weight, Overweight, Underweight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is Your Weight Status?

• Both you and your doctor agree you are overweight

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Your doctor says you are overweight but you think you're fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're underweight

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • You and your doctor agree your weight is just right

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 14.4%

• Total voters
I am about 15 - 20 lbs overweight. I know what my problem is - sugar. I recently read "Potatoes Not Prozac" and I'm trying to follow some of the ideas it suggests. I am always thinking about sweets and when I'm going to have something sweet. Not good for my body or my brain.

The bane of a foodie's existance. We love to eat. We know the consequences.

Where do you stand? Answer the poll and feel free not to make any comments if you prefer.

When I retired in 1999 I weighed 127#. One year later, thanks to constant baking with my new found freedom, I weighed 132#. I was shocked that I had gained 5# in one year. So the second year of my retirement, I tried to lose some of that, I did, don't remember how much, but it was more than the recently acquired 5#. I am pert near 57 years old, am 5 foot 6 inches tall and currently weigh 126#. One month ago I weighed 130#. For the month of March I consciously tried to lose some weight and lost 4 pounds. Dh and I are planning to start taking bicycling trips and I wanted to lose some weight to make it easier for me to ride up the ridiculous hills we have.

It is a constant struggle. I find for me to lose weight, I must cut out desserts:mad::(:cry:.

I`m 5`8 and 136Lbs. I think I`m Fine as it hasn`t changed at all for the last 20+ years, but had to vote Other as my quack doesn`t even know my weight!

let's see...I'm 21... last year this time, I had a bmi of 34 obese 190 at 5'3...
today i checked I'm a 27..overweight. I did stop dieting for a little bit. But my husband and I started the south beach diet last week. I love it, because I love to cook, I get to find creative ways to make yummy food that is healthy!
Last week I was 160, now I'm 155 (weighed in 2 days ago, only weigh myself once a week for self control) my goal is about 130. 135 would put me at "normal"

One thing remember is that sometimes going based on just a chart isn't always right.
There's a guy I know my age, he was 280 by 18... His Dr. told him to lose weight, but not to his "normal range"..it wouldn't be healthy for his body type. He's down to 210-220..he looks great!

I'm 5'5" and 110 lbs. but I have medical problems that make it difficult to gain weight. Before that started, a little over a year ago, I was 140 - probably a bit overweight, but my doctor didn't say anything about it. I like the way I look now, but I've had to buy all new clothes!

Too much emphasis is put on numbers and size. For the record, too much of USA population is more than just overweight. They are obese and getting worse.

Better question is: are you healthy? Asked this question, you encourage people to look more at the lifestyle rather than the size or number.

On one page, you get people telling you that it shouldn't be a goal to be a size 2; that real people are bigger, rounder, softer. We're told it's okay not to have a model's body. This gives people just the permission they need to throw caution to the wind and eat whatever they way, adopting a sedentary lifestyle as they march on towards obesity, rationalizing all the way that it's okay not to be a size 2.

On another page, we are told about obesity in epedemic proportions, from young children to old women. The conflicting information is enough to make my head spin. Either it's okay to be obese, or we should be striving to resemble etheopians.

Producers of diet pills, diet food, diet programs, diet books etc. like it this way. A diet is an awful thing to be on. That's why it's such a lucrative business. Generally, people can be held accountable for their actions, or remain dedicated to something for up to two weeks before they start to wane. After that, it's usually back to old habits. Diet companies bank on this. If they only have your interest for two weeks, that's good enough for them. They also know you'll be back, either to their product or another, as soon as you feel the urge to 'do something about your weight' again.

So, ask yourself this: Are you healthy? Does your doctor think you are healthy? If your answer is not yes, then what is your 1 week plan to get healthier? What changes can you make for one week that will have a positive impact on your health? Then, when one week is up, reevaluate everything again. If you can continue this you'll see changes that you count on. The trick is not getting on the scale, and not reading magazines or listening to commercials.

So, ask yourself this: Are you healthy? Does your doctor think you are healthy? If your answer is not yes, then what is your 1 week plan to get healthier? What changes can you make for one week that will have a positive impact on your health? Then, when one week is up, reevaluate everything again. If you can continue this you'll see changes that you count on. The trick is not getting on the scale, and not reading magazines or listening to commercials.

This is a good thought Vera...

Health certainly is not about simple #s I also think different people have different ideal body weights.

I know I carry a few more pounds than I should but I certainly feel healthier than when I smoked a pack or more a day and weighed a bit less... I feel even better when I am more active.... desk job is a killer especially in winter.

I also cant help but feel an extra 20lbs from eating whole and healthful foods is better for your health in the long run than having those extra pounds from Big Macs and Chips and proabably better than starving yourself on crazy diets and eating unbalanced meals or subsisting entirely on pre-packaged diet foods.

I try to make sure to include as much whole grain and fresh foods in my diet as possible and limit the processed foods.... I do like the occassional cheesesteak though.:angel:

I think that some diets aren't good for everyone. some people know what they need to be eating and what not to.
The South Beach has been working for me. Its taught me that when making choices on foods to pick the one that betters your body. Some people just don't understand. Some people need the regimen of a diet. Honestly, I do and so does my husband.
Starving oneself is extrememly harmful and gets one no where! Trying to look like a super model is not the best idea. And being obese is life threatening. Its not okay to be obese. People need to be balanced about it. One extreme is size 0 the other extreme is a size 25ish...
Each person needs to figure out what the best diet is for them. What they eat on a regular basis is their choice.
Some people will try diet after diet to find the right one. I know a woman that because of health problems and medication she was on inhibited her ability to lose weight. She tried weight watchers, normal healthy eating, making right choices and never losing weight. Then she tried the south beach diet and that one worked for her. She lost nearly 90lbs... Please anyone, try to tell me that that was bad for her! She went from morbidly obese to overweight, bad cholesterol through the roof to normal.. what is so bad about it?
Different foods affect each persons metabolism differently. Some people NEED a specific diet.
Diet pills aren't good..they harm the body and throw chemicals. People need to find a good balance, some diets provide that direction.

Used to have to eat bananas to keep the weight on, always on the extreme side of skinny. Fast forward 20 years and HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP, too far the other way. Working on it, which is darned hard when you are a foodie!

I am in the normal category but I still have some post baby pudge to tone before the summer arrives!!!

I am currently participating in a Choose to Lose class. It was originally designed to help lower cholesterol but people were losing weight so the name changed! I have really enjoyed the class so far and feel as though I am learning a healthier lifestyle when it comes to eating!! High cholesterol is a nasty gene in my family which I have inherited and was kind enough to pass along to my two year old daughter as well! I am trying to learn healthier ways of eating so that she may be able to avoid some of the medication and such I am now facing!

I think weighing your self is a great diagnostic tool. We are weighed at birth, at every succeeding doctors appt; and when you are admitted to a nursing home, you are weighed every day for the first three days, solely to insure an accurate weight was obtained. Weighing yourself is one of the few objective (treating or dealing with facts without distortion by personal feelings or prejudices, Merriam-Webster) tools that can be obtained by the majority of people in their own homes.
When I am concerned about my weight, I weigh myself once a week. Sometimes I go years without weighing.
I am very happy to report that I have lost another 1 1/2 pounds. It sure helped on yesterday's bicycle ride not to be pushing any extra fat up those hills.

30 lbs over i never diet but I noticed my husband and i loosing since we got out of rainy WA state, our Doctors would say yes way overweight, i am sopposed to weigh, 135-145lbs.
I refuse to do the diet YO YO that just ruins your body my friends for years just loose and gain loose and gain, i just stay the same going up 5 in the winter and down 5 in the summer, now our summers are longer here we shall see what happens. :)

LOL KE!!!
How long did it take to figure out how to spell that?!?!
hey, baby pudge is baby pudge, now matter how ole thhhhh bbbeee!!!!!

Normal

For more than 8 years I have remained the same weight no matter what I do. I watch my diet, drink plenty of fluids, exercise and try to get 6-8 hours sleep. Don't know why it remains the same. At least, I don't have to buy different clothes as the ones I wear from year to year still fit and going to store to buy new clothes is real pain as the sizes are never true to size.

Back
Top Bottom