London Broil Marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Strange question coming from a vegetarian, but back in the day, my dad used to make London Broil. I remember him marinading the meat but don't remember exactly what he did ( I was young and not into cooking at that point ). Im not going back to meat, but would love to get some recommendations on what some of you guys have done and liked so I can kinda work the flavors into something I can eat. I can easily do a search, but prefer marinades that have worked for you guys .

When I marinade, I try to ensure I am using something acidic, like lemon juice as Jenny mentioned, or rice vinegar. The acid tenderizes the meat. As long as you don't go too salty or too sweet, and remember to include something acidic, you can basically make a marinade out of any liquid.

Personally, I love teriyaki sauce so my go-to marinade would start with that, some rice vinegar, some wine (white for chicken, red for beef), some garlic, and whatever herbs suit my mood that day.

I was just working on my meal plan. I searched for my recipe for roasted, spatchcocked chicken. I also found a recipe that I have used and gave 5 stars out of 5 for "Roast chicken masala and potatoes. As I remember it, the marinade was very good. I never tried the potatoes, but they sound good. Here's the recipe:

Aunt Bea, I know a few people who still swear by it. Plus I believe I've had it in a restaurant. Don't remember where or when, just that I recognized Italian Salad dressing - I think it was chicken?

My mother found a marinade for beef recipe 50ish years ago that I still use. She used it on thick cut, roast type beef. You can also mix a bit into ground beef for hamburgers or meatloaf.

3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 vegetable oil
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
3 Tbsp Worchestershire
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Simmer onions in oil for 15 minutes. Add everything else and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Marinade at least overnight, up to 48 hours.

I would think that a pouch of commercial fajita seasoning or your own spice blend with fresh lime juice and oil would make a nice marinade.

Back in the 60's my parents rarely made steak but if they did it was a venison steak. It was salted then sprinkled with lemon/pepper (MCcormick or other common spice bottle), then drowned in butter in the pan until browned. We also may have had Lawry's seasoning salt on hand.

When I was growing up, we used Good Seasons Italian Dressing from the packet made with distilled white vinegar. I prefer red wine vinegar, so I use that now. It's also my go-to salad dressing, probably because I grew up with it.

My go to is soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, lemon juice, Worcestershire and a little sugar.
Sounds very similar to what my mother in law used to do.

When I was growing up, we used Good Seasons Italian Dressing from the packet made with distilled white vinegar. I prefer red wine vinegar, so I use that now. It's also my go-to salad dressing, probably because I grew up with it.

I love good seasons. I also grew up with it. Use it as salad dressing, dressing to dip artichokes in, pasta salads ...

Was Good Seasons the one that had cruets with measuring lines on the side? If so, then I grew up with those too.

Nowadays, I make an easy batch vinaigrette and sometimes use "Italian seasoning mix" in it. I season it in different ways and often use it as a marinade.

There is a terrific locally produced Italian dressing called “Aunt Fanny’s” that I use a lot for grilled chicken. As is or with some garlic and lemon added.

i love Italian dressing on chicken, fish and shrimp.

Excellent on salads, too.

Was Good Seasons the one that had cruets with measuring lines on the side? If so, then I grew up with those too.
Yes!
I have like 1/2 a dozen of those cruets.

I also had this mini salad blender that had measuring lines on 4 sides of it ( each with a different dressing recipe). You'd fit it up with the required ingredients ( oil, vinegar, mustard, mayo, herbs, spices, S&P amounts depending on the specific recipes) then blend it all together and pour

Larry, I think I remember that one! with the measures. I vaguely seem to remember the Good Seasons but not sure.

Good Seasons Italian Dressing (1).jpg

too funny GG! I remember that bottle but not the box or packets. Maybe my mom used to get them while we lived in the States.

I can't say that I remember the box, but I remember my mum getting the cruets while they were free. She had three or four of them, iirc. I do remember the packets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom