What's cooking Sunday 1/1/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Cold cuts (salami, ham, pepperoni, provolone cheese), salad greens (butter lettuce, radicchio, baby spinach, rocket, romaine), tomato, avocado, mac salad, olive salad, two bean salad, rolls, Italian bread. Mayo, ketchup and mustard (with and without sriacha), various oils and vinegars. Onion dip, salsa, blue cheese dip/dressing various chips.

I provided the means. Everyone is on their own.

Last edited:
Finally got our hard-won rib roast. It's in the oven right now. Have never cooked one before, but it's one beautiful looking piece of meat. Now to scrounge up some horseradish and a veg.

Duck Breast with Blackberry Sauce, broiled asparagus, mashed rutabaga, and homemade Pinot Noir.

img_1494351_0_039a9ebb7545542a252aa367c441010b.jpg

That's quite a spread, msmofet :yum:

I forgot to take the pheasant out of the freezer yesterday, so we're ringing in the new year with lucky (to the Pennsylvania Dutch and their - and our - German ancestors) pork and sauerkraut: we're having some of the bratwurst I made last week. It's simmering in sauerkraut with homemade grainy mustard, onions and sliced potatoes. After a while, I'll brown them under the broiler. I also have another baguette-shaped loaf in the oven.

Steve that looks great. I made another Pizza tonight. I cant figure out why my pics are so large. Can anyone help?

img_1494355_0_e45f90b6f7195021de763f5388542b67.jpg

A balmy low 40's this afternoon, so it's a grill dinner. I had some bone in chicken thighs, so they ended up in a marinade of lemon, oil, and herbes de provence (which I bought in Provence earlier this year), and then landed on the grill. Leftover risotto milanese and steamed green beans rounded out the dinner.

Earlier in the day we had herring, salami, cheeses on crackers and veggies and dip. For dinner we had teriyaki chicken salad sandwiches and lemon pound cake/ bundt cake with frozen / thawed garden raspberry sauce. I'm stuffed.

Last edited:
Lovely looking dinner, Steve, but all we can see of your wine is the rosy shadow on the placemat. :(

GG, those links look like...work. I'd be lazy and make patties if I made my own sausage! :LOL:

No matter what size your pizza is, s&p, it looks yummy.

Just setting the record straight, I'm neither of German decent (100% Polish and darned proud of it), have ever lived in PA (nor have my aunts/uncles), the entire immediate family lived in the greater Cleveland area, yet we all had pork roast with sauerkraut, sometimes with a bit of kielbasa too, every New Year's day dinner. I forgot to bring out the kraut from the fridge :ermm: but we had pork roast (loin) with Brussels sprouts, etc, casserole, broccoli (Loverly's favorite veg), roasted baby Yukon gold potatoes, and pull-apart rolls. Poor Goober was feeling all miserable so he didn't join us. A plate full of yummies awaits him for tomorrow.

GG, those links look like...work. I'd be lazy and make patties if I made my own sausage! :LOL:

Well, some people make pie dough, some make sausages ;) I did make patties with the meat mixture that was stuck in the sausage stuffer. I don't know how often I'll put it in the casings, but it was a fun project to try something new.

[Just setting the record straight, I'm neither of German decent (100% Polish and darned proud of it), have ever lived in PA (nor have my aunts/uncles), the entire immediate family lived in the greater Cleveland area, yet we all had pork roast with sauerkraut, sometimes with a bit of kielbasa too, every New Year's day dinner...

Considering the history and changing boundaries of that part of Europe, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that pork and sauerkraut is a Polish tradition as well ;)

With it being cold weather, I felt like making some hearty beef stew. I'm using Lowry's Beef Stew packet. Everything else is fresh bought. The beef was packaged already cubed. I added just a splash of red wine. Not too much like I did last time, the wine flavor came on a bit too strong. I'm getting better at timing the vegetables towards the end, so they don't come out like mush. I may thicken it with some arrowroot at the end. Cold weather, hearty beef stew, mmmm.

The instructions say to "simmer" on low (hour or so), add the vegetables and then "cook" for an additional 20 minutes. I suppose "simmer" is the same as "cook".

Last edited:
All I know is that it's a yummy tradition, GG.

One of my go-to, easy suppers is pork loin and kraut in the slow cooker. Add caraway seed, a sliced onion (to use as a base for the pork), and half-bottle of beer, and wait four hours. Mash potatoes and you're done. The only thing easier is carry-out. :huh: But only if I'm sending Himself. Otherwise I have to put "going out into public clothes" on, and maybe a spot of make-up. That slow cooker pork dinner is WAY easier! :ROFLMAO:

"Simmer" is a low heat. Don't let the liquid boil, but make sure the burner is set high enough so that the food is still being warmed.

Ok. I guess cooking the vegetable at the end for 20 minutes will cook the baby white potatoes enough. I really like the classy taste that a small amount of red wine adds to beef stew. Just a bit too much and you end up with wine stew tho, lol.

Last edited:
The wine isn't that important in the overall context of things. Unfortunately, most people don't get to taste my homemade wine other than me. :ermm:

Steve, as a personal sacrifice, I would be happy to help you taste your wine.

I made my garlic shrimp in butter sauce tonight. My mom sent me money last month and I decided to buy some of the colossal shrimp, but I'm rethinking this for the future (as if I could ever do this again). The colossal shrimp are huge, but they come precooked, so by the time I got them done tonight, they were a little tough. Good, but tough.

So from now on I think if I want to get shrimp, I'll wait till the large uncooked shrimp are on sale. No more pre-cooked.

So shrimp for dinner tonight and shortbread cookies for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom