What's Cooking Today? Wed. Oct. 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Today I'll be re-stocking the freezer.

I'll be using some of the turkey stock from yesterday to make brown rice.

I'll save a couple of cups to make the gravy/broth for turkey neck stew. I cheat and use a couple of packets of brown (or pork) gravy mix. It comes out tasty using the stock instead of water, as long as the stock isn't salted.

If there is enough stock left, I'll make wild rice too to store in bags in the freezer, along with the brown rice.

I'm also going to make fresh broccoli with cheddar sauce, sweet potatoes with butter (oleo) and garlic.

What's cooking today at your house?

I have a half of sweet potato I need to use up. I also have a couple of Italian sausages I can make with it. :angel:

So much meatloaf talk...

I'll be making my regular mix, ground beef, sauteed onion and green pepper, the usual suspects of egg, s&p. I'm cooking up a package of spanish rice and mixing that in. Free form loaf with cheddar and salsa on top, served with sour cream and more salsa. Have to see what's in the store to serve as a side. Likely a green salad.

I'll be finishing off the nacho dip sometime during the day, so we'll see where that leaves me for dinner. I'm kind of in a meatloaf mood, too. Maybe those stuffed potatoes.

You know it's fall when you start thinking about meatloaf:LOL:

I'm doing mine in the toaster oven.

There's very little I can accomplish in my toaster oven in the way of baking. The top gets burned too quickly. And I've noticed it not toasting as well lately anyway. Time for an upgrade.

I've had my eye on a Breville toaster oven. But...... I need other things and a new toaster oven isn't a necessary.

You can make meat loaf on the grill. Use a disp pie pan to catch the drippings.

Last edited:
WOW! I'm having buttered (oleo) brown rice made with the turkey stock and a packet of onion soup mix, topped with some of the turkey neck meat and the garlic cloves I boiled with it. It's sooooo good, I feel like swooning!

Boy Zhizara, you've been a busy bee today!

I'm baking a small ham, "Kentucky Legend" brand. Tasty little half-football thing. We'll have fresh green beans and paprika potato cubes to go with it. All quick and easy - I might even skip the salad just so I might get something else done around here.

And all this talk of meatloaf is weakening my resolve to not buy any more meats before I plow through some of the things in the freezer. Leaving for vacay in less than three weeks and have to start to reduce my stock in the 'fridge NOW! :LOL:

it's cold,it's raining,it's blowing a gale.....it's manchester:rolleyes:!!!time for some comfort grub...red braised ox cheek with saffron rice

Attachments

• RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 001.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 001.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 154
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 002.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 002.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 206
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 003.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 003.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 152
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 008.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 008.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 155
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 004.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 004.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 162
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 005.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 005.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 153
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 006.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 006.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 152
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 007.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 007.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 154
  • RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 009.JPG
    RED BRAISED OX CHEEK 009.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 210
Harry, good to see you again.

Today I'm experimenting with some mini meatballs, crimini mushrooms and stuff to make a rice based casserole.

Harry, good to see you again.

Today I'm experimenting with some mini meatballs, crimini mushrooms and stuff to make a rice based casserole.
cheers andy,good to be back.see you're still "cookin' up a storm".anything that's got meatballs & mushrooms in it has gotta be good.let us know how it turns out:chef:

it's cold,it's raining,it's blowing a gale.....it's manchester:rolleyes:!!!time for some comfort grub...red braised ox cheek with saffron rice

Greetings fellow Brit! I am looking at your pic and thinking you can't have got that tan in Manchester! :rolleyes:

Oh and your dinner looks like a winner. :)

It was Cod and Chips for me from the local Chippie! :yum:

Katy, has it always been Cod for the 'fish and chips' or did they use some other fish in the past? Here in New England the fish of choice used to be Haddock. But our government has put restrictions on how much can be caught. As a result the price is often too high. But I still will buy one medium size filet. Just enough for one person. :angel:

Well Hello Harry. Glad you are back.

For dinner I'm making hamburger stroganoff over egg noodles, broccoli and a sliced tomato.

Back
Top Bottom