Whats for Dinner tonight ? Aug.29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
Sephora - rice on gravy isn't a "Denny's" thing LOL It's common "down-home" cooking. And yes, the gravy ican brown but it is traditionally a milk gravy. Lots of times with chicken fried steak you are served a milk gravy versus brown gravy. CHicken fried steak is cubed steak batter dipped like chicken and fried - hence the name. No questions get laughed at around here!!!!
I'm not a rice person at all and gravy ~ that's a Thanksgiving thing. So the two meeting is just new to me. Not having been around fried foods there's a lot of things I hear and think "must be southern" since I didn't hear about them back home. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for explaining what it was.

I don't know yet!! I didn't get a chance to pull anything out of the freezer this morning so it may just be sandwiches or whatever else we can find hidden in the kitchen tonight.

Barb L, I do enjoy brown gravy on rice but my hubby doesn't. He would only eat rice with sugar on it until he started working for some Koreans. We became really good friends with several Koreans and now he will eat rice with soy sauce instead of sugar occasionally.

Tonight I'm being lazy since Mom and I canned most of the day and we're having baked stuffed yellow squash and some left over mashed potatoes from last night made into fried potato cakes and maybe some sliced fresh from the garden tomatoes.

I'm making pork chops with the onion sauce, which I changed a little, corn cut off the cob and sauteed in butter with salt,pepper and a little sugar, mashed potatoes, sliced tomatoes,avacado, onion rings, with just evoo,and pear vinegar. If I can get myself in gear, I'll bake some biscuits, if not oh dear:LOL: Dessert, I had some puff pastry shell, so I filled them with lemon curd and will top with some whipped cream..

kadesma:)

I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks and am glad to finally get back in the kitchen and eat a home cooked meal.

Tonight I am fixing a london broil with a dijon marinade, served with juices from pan .Sides of steamed broccoli and seasoned rice.

I'm sorry, but I've gone over to the dark side.
I'm baking my hot wings tonight instead of deep frying them!
I'm sure that my dreams will be haunted tonight by Frank and Teressa from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY. :ohmy:
Don't know why, but I just don't feel like frying them this time.
I've had the wings marinating in buttermilk, yogurt, Crystal hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and ground black pepper for a couple hours. I'm going to pull them from the marinade, roll them in Panko and bake them @ 400 degrees for about 1/2 hour. Hope they turn out:rolleyes:
Sides will be rice and zuchinni (still loving the home grown produce):)

Shoot, I don't know what I'm having. One of those days where I wandered around the grocery store and came up with nothing. I left the store with choc ice cream and spinach. I have basic stuff here at home, any ideas?

I'm going to kadesma's for dessert though, that sounds great!

Well l changed completely. What started out as salmon with noodles and alfredo sauce has turned into Meatloaf with potatos, peas&carrots and corn on the cob.

All that meatloaf talk yesterday changed my mind. :ROFLMAO:

abjcooking said:
I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks and am glad to finally get back in the kitchen and eat a home cooked meal.

Tonight I am fixing a london broil with a dijon marinade, served with juices from pan .Sides of steamed broccoli and seasoned rice.

I used to travel 75% of the time with business. I know exactly how you feel. :neutral:

I ended up with the last of the potato pancakes and bacon for my daughter. I didn't eat the bacon, just added it to her plate and made myself an extra pancake instead.

We're having the last of the Beer Braised Brisket, corn-on-the-cob, sliced grilled zucchini, steamed green beans, Mortgage Buster Tomatoes and cantaloupe for dessert.

southerncooker said:
Tonight I'm being lazy since Mom and I canned most of the day and we're having baked stuffed yellow squash and some left over mashed potatoes from last night made into fried potato cakes and maybe some sliced fresh from the garden tomatoes.

Southerncooker, that sounds delicious to me!

I had to go to the dentist this morning, which involves finding someone to drive me. My crazy girlfriend took me, so I treated her to lunch at a local mom & pop restaurant. She had lasagna, garlic bread and salad, and I had a huge cabbage roll, extra cabbage to go with, mashed potatoes, pickled beets and a homemade roll. She had water, and I had iced tea. The total bill was $12.50 plus tip.

So tonight, Kim and I are probably just going to have fried spam & cheese sandwiches and a sliced tomato for me. (My husband doesn't like raw tomatoes...go figure!)
I have some cabbage I've been meaning to cook up for me and one of Kim's friends. Kim hates it, but his buddy loves it, and is single, so I always share with him. I think I'll wait a day or two, though, until I get over these cabbage rolls.
Should'a had my Beano. :LOL:

well, since it's not Friday, Saturday or Sunday....and by now everyone should know I never cook at home during the week....

I had one piece of baklava, one rughalach, 5 forkfuls of cold pasta primavera, two bites of flank steak and about a dozen tortilla chips with a couple of tablespoons of salsa.

You realize, of course, that I do this standing right in front of an open refrigerator:ohmy:

JohnL said:
I'm sorry, but I've gone over to the dark side.
I'm baking my hot wings tonight instead of deep frying them!
I'm sure that my dreams will be haunted tonight by Frank and Teressa from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY. :ohmy:
Don't know why, but I just don't feel like frying them this time.
I've had the wings marinating in buttermilk, yogurt, Crystal hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and ground black pepper for a couple hours. I'm going to pull them from the marinade, roll them in Panko and bake them @ 400 degrees for about 1/2 hour. Hope they turn out:rolleyes:
Sides will be rice and zuchinni (still loving the home grown produce):)

I always baked mine. I haven't made any since we got our new stove though because they always made a mess with the grease splattering everywhere.

my dad would yell at you to take what you want and close the door vb.
we're not cooling the entire neighborhood, ya know!

lol, i now proudly carry on that tradition. same goes for turning off lights and tv's when no one's in the room.

tonight, we had chinese take out.

tofu-veggie soup, veggie spring rolls, veggie lo mein, chicken chow fun, chicken and broccoli in garlic sauce, and chicken cashew ding in spicey brown sauce.

My market had positively GIGANTIC fresh white mushrooms - perfect for stuffing - so I bought a dozen, stuffed them with a crabmeat stuffing, topped each one with an escargot & grated cheese prior to baking, & served them with lemon wedges & a big green salad on the side.

buckytom said:
my dad would yell at you to take what you want and close the door vb.
we're not cooling the entire neighborhood, ya know!
My dad too. He hates that I stand to eat most of my meals.

I made some chicken soft tacos & quesadillas. They were quite good. I shredded some leftover chicken and browned it with garlic and red chile powder. Sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, and cilantro. Warmed some corn tortillas and ate it up.

Back
Top Bottom