Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merryomac

Assistant Cook
Ok, now that I have your attention, I really do want information about them. My daughter is planning her son's 2 year old Birthday Party and the theme is balls. She's going to include: base balls, foot balls, basket balls, soccer balls, ping-pong balls, beach balls, golf balls, gum balls, etc. You get the idea! :wacko:

I want to help her think of foods to go along with this theme. There will be adults and toddlers at this party. I'm not making too much head way here as I've only come up with: melon balls and meatballs.

Any ideas that you have that we can use on a shoestring budget would be greatly appreciated!

Oh ........... snow balls? Could I fit this in? :ermm:

How about a twist on the melon balls for the adults? Here's a couple: a little sugar [very little] and some good sherry drizzles over them; or, drizzle some Minus 8 vinegar over the melon balls. Does it have to have "balls" in the title, or can it just resemble them? Cherry tomatoes stuffed with herbed cream cheese?

Since this is a party for a two year old, I figure it wont last long before nap time is needed:LOL: What round foods are safe for that age...hmmm. Something soft like cheese balls, if they have enough teeth maybe carrott coins, scoops of applesauce with a round scoop of ice cream, tortellini, fajitas with various toppings for the kids to add, or a pizza station, sliced hot dogs in bbq sauce. Maybe you can find some round plastic sports cups at the dollar store for drinks, and some containers of bubbles to blow.

Sounds like fun. Im sure others will have more ideas.

Merryomac said:
Ok, now that I have your attention, I really do want information about them. My daughter is planning her son's 2 year old Birthday Party and the theme is balls. She's going to include: base balls, foot balls, basket balls, soccer balls, ping-pong balls, beach balls, golf balls, gum balls, etc. You get the idea! :wacko:

I want to help her think of foods to go along with this theme. There will be adults and toddlers at this party. I'm not making too much head way here as I've only come up with: melon balls and meatballs.

Any ideas that you have that we can use on a shoestring budget would be greatly appreciated!

Oh ........... snow balls? Could I fit this in? :ermm:

Meatballs, riceballs, fishballs, lentilballs, potatoballs, snowballs, melonballs, cheeseballs,... and furballs for the cat! :LOL:

Ok let's get serious here... make meatballs and vary the dipping sauce. Use beef, veal, pork, what ever is available. Mix them all together.
Tomato paste, sour cream, paprika = Hungarian meatballs
Tomato paste and lime/lemon = Syrian meatballs
Peanut sauce = Oriental/Thai/Indonesian meatballs
Soy sauce with ginger = More oriental meatballs
Some chutney with lemon, ginger and a little spice = Indian meatballs
Tomato, onion, garlic, lime, coriander leaf and cumin = Mexican meatballs

Fishballs are also very economical to make, since you can "pad out" the fish with breadcrumbs, rice, potatoes, etc.

Lentil Balls - think falafel; soak your favourite chickpeas or split peas over night. Blitz in a blender or processor with garlic onion and your favourite spice mix. Serve with (hey, this is an instant invention - I use a tamarind-mint chutney!!) a mix of Mint jelly, lime/lemon juice, salt, sugar, hot pepper to taste.

Cheese balls: cream cheese, mix with a little garlic or chopped onion and some mixed herbs. Roll in crushed almonds, or crushed peanuts, or crushed nuts (OUCH!") or chopped fresh herbs. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes then into the fridge.

For the melon balls: add a little piece of GOOD ham and a sprinkling of ground ginger on a toothpick. YUM!

There! Does that help?

Ice cream balls would be a good choice with that crowd.

One word of caution -- most two-year-olds put everything in their mouth, and they often don't bother to take a bite out of a large piece of food if they can stuff the whole thing in their mouth. I'd make sure there are no balls small enough to create a choking hazard -- gum balls are particularly inappropriate for that age group. I'd also avoid raw carrot coins for the same reason. Nuts, too -- if inhaled into the lungs, which often happens with very young kids, nuts can result in a very severe form of pneumonia, and often a surgical procedure is required to remove the nut. Same with popcorn.

Better safe than sorry, especially since there are so many good alternatives that toddlers will enjoy just as much.

Grandpa

Oh my goodness@

I imagine I'll be getting a lot of replies and help with this as the days roll on.

Gorgonzola - those Italian fried rice balls sound yummy. The meatball sandwiches for the kids is a great idea.

bjcotton - Great idea for those melon balls - give them (or us) a little zip! I hadn't thought of that. I hadn't thought about cherry tomatoes either. My grandson adores them!!!!

amber - wow, I loved your ideas. The cheese balls were great. I really like the idea of the hotdogs cut up into coin shapes and then they can dip. Toddlers love to dip. Gives them a feeling of being grown up and having some control.

cliveb - what can I say? Sounded like you got all balled up there for a minute. Went a little bit crazy! :eek: Your recipes seem to fit my daughter's palate like a glove. Those sound like things she'd love, their right up her alley. Oops:ohmy: Bowling ball!

FryBoy - thanks for the input. One can never hear too often about safety measures. I'm an R.N. and love my grandson more than life itself. I will keep in mind what is age appropriate and make sure the little ones can only eat and reach what is apropos for them.

Thanks everyone. You're all wonderful!!!!!:clap:

Back
Top Bottom