ISO substitutes for margarine, butter, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
Is there anything to use in baking that doesn't change the taste too much as a subsititute for margarine or butter. Trying to reduce the transfat in baked goods. Would appreciate any advice or things people have tried.

Okay, now, this is going to sound strange, but trust me. I have substituted canned/jarred unsweetened applesauce for the butter/oil/fat in recipes for cakes. Even in chocolate cake. There is NO taste at all of the applesauce in the finished product.

Applesuace is good if you are trying to reduce your total fat intake, but if you're just trying to reduce your saturated fats, I'd recommend olive oil for cakes. I've used it numerous times and the cakes actually come out lighter and moister. Now, if you're making cookies, that's a different story. Oil in cookie dough won't work well at all. I'd suggest either transfat free shortening or transfat margarine, which I very seldom recommend.

budron said:
Is there anything to use in baking that doesn't change the taste too much as a subsititute for margarine or butter. Trying to reduce the transfat in baked goods. Would appreciate any advice or things people have tried.

Butter does not have any transfat. I use butter exclusively in cookies and brownies. Some cakes call for oil and I use a canola oil for those.

Yes, the applesauce does also work for a fat replacement in baking.;)

I use butter in all my baking. I gave up margarine over 15 years ago and have never looked back. And only my husband is overweight in this house. ( I walk the dog around the block to work off the butter *wink wink*)

How about soy butter. I am unsure if that has any trans fat. Someone say if it does.

Smart Balance:) Check out smart balance its transfat free and you can bake and cook with with the regular but not the light the regular also tastes better than the light.

Last edited:
First there was butter and it was good
But people said, "NO, it has saturated fats and it is bad!"

Then there was margerine and IT was good
But people said, "No, it has trans fats and they are worse than sat fats.

Then there was Andy M. who said, "To heck with it. Gimme butter, it's the real thing."

Andy M. said:
First there was butter and it was good
But people said, "NO, it has saturated fats and it is bad!"

Then there was margerine and IT was good
But people said, "No, it has trans fats and they are worse than sat fats.

Then there was Andy M. who said, "To heck with it. Gimme butter, it's the real thing."
:LOL:Ya, guy, go for the real stuff!

We use smart balance for just about everything, including cooking. HOWEVER ... I NEED real butter on my toast.

Made oatmeal cookies with smart balance and stevia and they were really soft and tasty.

we guys, i read somewhere you can add mashed ripe banana as a substitute for butter/margarine in the cakes !!

Back
Top Bottom