GCCConvenience Main Course Goodweed of the North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
GW’s GCCConvenience Main Course with Sides

For my main course, I give you Baked Chicken on a bed of Yellow Rice with Mini-Hot Dogs, Pepperoni Stromboli and String Cheese, and Corn Pudding.

Every ingredient, with the exception of AP Flour, Olive Oil, Dried Oregano, Turmeric, Chili Powder, and Fresh Basil came from Holiday Gas Station/Convenience Store.

The meal stacked up thusly: The chicken was moist and tender, but not as moist as when prepared from fresh chicken. The seasoning was spot on, with a mild crunch from a dusting of Shake & Bake for Chicken.

The Yellow Rice was very good, moist, but not sticky at all. The flavor came from cooking the rice in Chicken Broth made from Chicken Soup Base with the addition of dried Oregano, and Turmeric. The turmeric added both color, and a flavor reminiscent of Saffron. Maybe that’s why they call it the poor man’s saffron.

The Corn Pudding came out as almost as good as my best. The corn was crispy and sweet, with a buttery sauce, and a hint of Dark Chili Powder. I enjoyed it immensely, as did my DW. In fact, she liked everything but the chicken. She said that it just wasn’t as juicy or tender as if made from fresh chicken. Btu I already said that.

The Stromboly was sliced on the bias and placed in the oven to heat. It was enhanced with a touch of basil, and string cheese. It was OK, but nothing I would call gourmet.

The Mini-Hot Dogs were tasty. I simply Baked them, split lengthwise, and place a couple drops of catchup inside. The outer layer was a tasty version of corn breading, much like a corn dog, but with the flavor of honey.

We enjoyed this meal, but would have liked it better if made with fresh chicken rather than pre-cooked Chicken from a box.

Chicken Ingredients:
Banquet Brand Bake & Serve Chicken
Carapelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dried Oregano
Shake & Bake for Chicken
String Cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350’F
While the chicken is still frozen, remove the breading down to the chicken flesh. Place into a foil lined baking pan. Coat with olive oil on all sides. Sprinkle dried oregano sparing all over the chicken. Sprinkle a pinch of the Shake And Bake Seasoned Coating lightly on the chicken top. Carefully place shreds of string cheese on top, but not too much. Put the chicken in the oven and bake for thirty-five minutes.

Yellow Rice Ingredients:
1 cup Minute Rice
1 cup water
½ tsp. dried Oregano
½ tsp. dried Turmeric
1 tbs. Better Than Bullion Brand Chicken Soup Base

Place the water into a sauce pan, along with the chicken soup base, and bring to a boil. Add the turmeric and oregano and let simmer for five minutes. Add the rice and stir. Let cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Remove from the heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.

Corn Pudding Ingredients”
12 oz can Green Giant Niblets Sweet Corn with corn liquor from the can
3 tbs. salted butter
2 tbs. all-purpose flour
Dark Chili Powder

Drain the corn and save the liquid. Place the corn into a sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the butter and flour. Stir until the corn is evenly coated. Slowly stir in the liquid. Remove from heat. Place the corn into ramekins and sprinkle with dark chili powder. Serve hot.

Pepperoni Stromboli with String Cheese
Open a box of Stouffer’s Peperoni Stromboli and bias slice into thin sections. Place on a heat proof pan, lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with oregano and basil. Top with shreds of string cheese. Place into the oven five minutes before the chicken is done.

Mini Hot Dogs
Place six mini-corn dogs onto a baking pan. Place into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove, split almost all the way through, lengthwise. Drip catchup from the little convenience store packets over the hot dogs. Serve hot.

There you have it. I forgot to plate the mini sweet pickles I found at Holiday. But the meal really didn’t need them. I hope this inspires you to go outside the box, when you have less than perfect ingredients to work with.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Attachments

• GccConvenianceMain.jpg
    GccConvenianceMain.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 247
Back
Top Bottom