How old would a BBQ sauce need to be to NOT USE IT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
I made a nice BBQ Pork Shoulder... then I went spelunking in the big fridge... found a bottle of BBQ sauce I made, oh, lets say 4 years ago--- vinegar based sauce, nothing in it but pepper flakes, some chili powder etc and spices...
Looked clear and smelled like vinegar with spices in it... would you use it?

I personally would not use anything after 4 years, for bbq sauce maybe 1 year and that is for the kind that is made by a company which has preservatives in it. thats just me

No problemo Amigo. The stuff thats in it never goes bad, that's the key.

Taste it and wait 2 or 3 hours. If you are not in serious pain, it should be fine. O.K. seriously, as long as there is no protein or dairy it should be fine. But if you are not sure, don't risk it, Pitch it.
J

If it's only vinegar and spices, Hopz, there's nothing in it to spoil. I would use it.

Here's an awfully good BBQ sauce for pork shoulder:

1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbl soy sauce
2 tsp ground ginger (or fresh or jarred)
1 tsp granulated garlic (or fresh or jarred)
1/2 tsp Tobasco sauce

Combine ingredients in saucepan. Cook and stir till sugar is dissolved. Improves upon standing. Keeps in fridge for a very long time.

Is it OK? Probably.

Were it me would most likely make sure the will was in order and take a small taste.

But heck, my bottom line is would you feel comfortable eating it?

If not, toss it.

It's just some bloody vinegar, hot pepper flakes and spices.

But just remember how Worcestershire sauce was discovered.

Sorry, just had to insert the last sentence.

Let us know how it turns out.

oil, protein, sugars, lack of oxygen, can spell botulism. None of that you described...acid and plant matter...rub it around your eyes..if your crows feet disappear, sell it, if not use it. (that's a joke, don't rub hot pepper around your eyes please!)

You could use it. BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard has no need to be refrigerated. People keep 'way too much stuff in the fridge that can stay on the shelf.

Even the commercially prepared, full of preservatives, stuff expires after a year or so.

If it doesn't kill you it probably tastes bad.

Make or buy some more.

Wow. I didn't think it would be such a mixed bag of calls. We're fairly split on this one.

Being one that doesn't like to waste anything, that line is drawn when the age of the item surpasses a year. Of course, some stuff turns into a science experiment long before too much time elaspes. In this case, I'd certainly chuck it. Everything has some sort of a shelf life. Some things longer than others. 4 years is a long, long time. Too long in my book.

Find that annoying person at the office who drives you crazy and give him a taste. If he does not show up at work the next day then put it in the trash :angel:

It is fine. On the other hand, it probably cost you a quarter to make it. Not much either way. And refrigerated.

And the rest of the story is...
It tasted as good as it always did. Looked ok. I used it. No problemo...

But I threw it out and made a new batch- it will be ready in about three years...

OBTW this is the first time I did a shoulder in the crock pot... it was good. Not as good as smokin' for 12 hours, but a whole lot easier.

Trimed it closely- rubbed with mustard, coated liberally with my proprietary rub.... smoked on grill for 30 minutes and gave it a good browning over the hickory fire on all sides- then into the crock pot, with a cup and half or so of cider vinegar- cooked on low for 12 hours... made the house smell so good we almost had to go to a motel to keep from eating it.

Fall off the bone.... sweet, moist... easy!

Personally I probably would not eat it but let me tell you a story.

When I first met my wife and we moved in together we brought all her stuff to my apartment, including her refrigerated items. The first 5 years we lived in 4 different apartments. One day while moving I noticed a bottle of ranch dressing that I had noticed the last time we moved. It had never been open and the expiration date on the bottle was 1996. It was now 2003!

I brought this to Jen's attention and we thought it was funny the ranch dressing had moved with us all these years so we decided to leave it in the fridge. Sometime around 2004 her sister was over and we where making dinner. I think you know were this is going. I noticed she had been eating a salad and ranch dressing. I asked her about it and she said we had a brand new bottle of dressing and she had opened it. My stomach fell.

I informed her that the dresisng was our refrigerator mascot and was over 7 YEARS OLD! She said it tasted and fine and is still alive to tell the story. I could not believe it.

As I said, I would probably use some serious judgement but there has been older food eaten without killing anyone.

Back
Top Bottom