Basil question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does the container it's in have holes in it?

If not, just fill it up with water. You could spritz the foliage too. Definately keep it indoors for now.

It will perk up, I promise. It's like waiting for a pot of water to boil - you can't watch it! :LOL: Walk away from the basil!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I bought basil like that once before and did the same thing. Make sure to put it in a big pot, the stuff grows quickly!

Even just one hour of full sun - especially Florida sun - is enough to beat it down. And I don't want to offend you or dumb you down, but did you understand what I meant by "acclimate"? The plant has literally been kept in the dark for Lord knows how long before you bought it. You can't just stick it out in the sun - even for just an hour.

And I imagine not much water has drained out because the plant was most likely grown in a peat mix, which acts like a sponge. So long as it's moist when you stick your finger in about an inch, that's fine. You don't want to drown it.

You got a shower today????
:)
Looks good.... whatcha gonna make with it?

I truly think it will perk up. By tomorrow you'll be "growing" basil. It will produce quite a bit more than you expect! You'll get your money's worth and then some. Heat some olive oil, garlic, add a can of drained tomatoes, cook until reduced some (salt and pepper, of course). Remove from heat once it reduces some (maybe 30 minutes on medium), add some basil chiffonade, toss with angel hair - GREAT dinner and so easy and inexpensive!

I do have a question - did it say "hydroponic" anywhere on that container?

That's your problem.

You should have brought the basil IN the shower. Then it would be watered enough.

I do have a question - did it say "hydroponic" anywhere on that container?

no it did not say that...they were grown by North Shore Living Herbs, they included a website www.livingherbs.com, and recommend viewing it for recipes & info, BUT when I try to get on it, I get a message stating that I dont have permission to view the webpage! Go figure:ermm:

Ok well here is a pic of what it looks like now, its been on my kitchen counter the whole time (was out in the sun for 1 hour). Now I dont know what to do, should I leave it in the soil or put it in water? It hasnt perked up at all:(
Just eat it now....hahaha..

You paid for plastic, lots of plastic and some roots.

It wouldn't be hydroponic since there is dirt involved. Hydroponic is usually just plants grown in hopped up water, which is why they are so futuristic. No earth required.:wacko:

Hey, I'll send you a clump for free!
Then I can say my basil planted in MN grew 'til Jan!
Ok, with a little cheating....
:)

Just eat it now....hahaha..

You paid for plastic, lots of plastic and some roots.

It wouldn't be hydroponic since there is dirt involved. Hydroponic is usually just plants grown in hopped up water, which is why they are so futuristic. No earth required.:wacko:

I asked because of this question:
[QUOTE-marigene]
I don't think it will grow in soil as it has been in water for a long time; they have become adapted to the water and don't do well in soil, the roots are very fragile. I have kept them for several weeks in a glass of water.[/QUOTE]

As a side venture where I used to work they grew hydroponic tomatoes and such so I'm very familiar with the process. I didn't know if marigene knew something the rest of us didn't.

Back
Top Bottom