How's Your Garden Doin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The strawberries did great. I didn't plant anything else this year as we were out of town. I'm going to test my theory about things growing into November, and will be putting some things into the ground this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

In our area, the weather has been schitzo. Lots of rain and very cool, with a few days thrown in here and there with days so hot and humid you wouldn't want to go out. I've had, for emotional reasons, been a little on the downside, and when I look outside the thought of working at it seems overwhelming. I do know that getting out there, bad weather or not (well, not when it is pouring rain) would probably be good for me.

SO ... right now, my tomatoes are insanely out of control. Too much rain, not enough sunny, dry days. So much in the way of branches and greens that I'm having all I can do to get the maybe future tomatoes off the ground when they do (if they do) ever ripen. Peppers are a little easier. But nothing is going to turn green if this weather keeps up.

Oh, well.

Our Garden was downsized a bit this year...not as much variety. Just as well because the weather has not cooperated...HOT & DRY....100* days over and over...no rain. We struggled to keep things alive with watering...Peppers, are doing really well, and tomatoes are doing fair. Hoping the pickling cucumbers will crank up. We really want to make a big batch of Bread & Butter Pickles....

Yesterday's picking.....

Wow UB,
Great haul :)
My maters are still green,growing haywire out of control.I just wish they'd hurry up and get ripe already.
The corn I planted (I'm no farmer) is falling over.LOL...I didn't make the hills high enough.It's just a sight.A funny one at that :)

Munky.

I harvested some green beans and cucumbers from the garden this week. Still waiting on my tomatos to ripen.

Mine is driving me nutso. The weather has been strange. Very cool and very rainy. My tomato and pepper plants look like show plants, very very very green and lots of fruit. BUT I don't think it will ever dry out enough for them to get enough sunshine to ripen. I swear they look like house plants.

It's finally happened.The maters are here!!!! I'm so excited about that.
Almost gave up hope that they would ever ripen.The squash has been plentiful.I picked a few yesterday.
Had this huge one and a few smaller ones.
Pretended that they were the Partridge Family.Danced them on the counter. Sang "Com on' get happyyyy"..nobody saw the humor in that.
Kids asked what I was on?!!!..Ahh well I was happy anyways.

Munky.

Yup,
My maters are kicking in now also CM. I've been loving BLT's and just plain tomato and cheese sandwiches. The fried green tomatos have been great also.

Last night I made a pseudo curry from 1 zuchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 handful of grape tomatos. All from our garden. It was so good.

just planted my fall broccoli and cabbage plants

the first broccoli harvest is almost done, the potatoes can be dug but we will leave them in the ground for a while yet....the onion tops have been layed over..just waiting for them to die back some more before they come out of the ground....beans look like they may be thinking about flowering, carrots are big enough to harvest, corn is starting to tassel, need to freeze some peppers, and the tomatoes are green and hard!

still have some basil that is usuable..............carrots ok..............squash blooms but ? but i have three kinds of tomatoes getting ripe. the heat spell we had pushed them along.

was going to replant some things and do some for early fall. since i fell and hurt my foot. that isn't going to happen. can't get out there to water. still can't get a shoe on.

You've heard of the victory garden, well our's is the garden of despair. We just moved into our current house in the early spring. The ground was too wet and muddy to plow it up in time, then we finally got it plowed memorial day weekend and totally misjudged the amount of sun it would get. We have a heavily wooded lot and the only place that gets almost constant sun is our long driveway. Next year we'll have containers lining the driveway. But we do have one bright spot, The peppers we grew from seed and have in long flowewr boxes are doing very well.

I had my first ripe tomato in a salad night before last...so sweet, juicy and delicious...I think I could write a song about tomatoes, except it's already been done. There's an old country song that says two of the best things in life are true love and home grown tomatoes.

My tomatoes are coming on. I planted them late. Hope I have a lot on the vines. I love fried green tomatoes and bacon and tomato sandwiches, also in fresh salads and sauces. I am a southern cook, but love all kinds of cooking, and food. I am cutting down a little, as I am trying to lose a little weight.

My gardens in a pickle,literally.Cucumbers are all over the place.

Snails have decimated all the green bean plants.I can't set bait out to kill them, have dogs.They are my garden keepers.
Can't set beer out,dogs might get into that to.That's all I need is a toasted dog! :LOL:

Everything else is doing great.I'm proud of my peppers and can't wait to smoke them,then dehydrate,to make my own hot spices.

Have yet to cann anything.Everything that's been picked has gone towards dinner.I'm saving $50.00 a week in just produce from my own garden.

Other then the snails being a problem,it's all been good.

Munky.

Munky, if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your green been plants, the snails will leave them alone. It's made of a soft, chalky rock composed of fossil shells, that coats the snails body, drying it up. If you can't find it in your local garden center, it is available on line.

I had my first BLT yesterday for lunch, and it was heavenly!

Munky, if you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your green been plants, the snails will leave them alone. It's made of a soft, chalky rock composed of fossil shells, that coats the snails body, drying it up. If you can't find it in your local garden center, it is available on line.

I had my first BLT yesterday for lunch, and it was heavenly!

You know I completely forgot about diatomaceous earth.Had some already in the garage.We use it on the lawns to kill fleas.It certainly does it's job.
Thanks for the reminder.

Glad you had a good sammich! :)

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom