What are your garden plans for 2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wintersown, we're using mostly gallon milk jugs (and de-icer jugs we collected from gas stations after a snow) 70 or so, and we're trying 2 liter soda bottles for about 50 this year.

Last year was our first year. I worried after they started sprouting if the next freeze would kill them off, but I was reassured to leave them outside, so I did, didn't cover them or anything. It snowed, we had cold snaps. They were fine. Just like nature intended for seeds to naturally seed and sprout as the weather allows them to.

I am thinking more herbs, and fewer pepper plants. Due to the extreme weather we had in Dallas recently, I may have to replace my rosemary, thyme and oregano, that usually make it through the winter. If so, I'll be starting from scratch this year.

I'll do basil, as usual. I think I'm going to add sage.

CD

I am thinking more herbs, and fewer pepper plants. Due to the extreme weather we had in Dallas recently, I may have to replace my rosemary, thyme and oregano, that usually make it through the winter. If so, I'll be starting from scratch this year.

CD

Maybe put those more cold intolerant herbs in pots that you can bring into the house if it gets that cold again. Parsley and chives come back after heavy duty cold.

Just finished starting some seeds.

A bunch of perrenial kale for selling, some to give away and lots if fun stuff for eating.

Need to make more soil block dirt to finish filling the mini greenhouse. 20210227_163119.jpg

Our cold frame over the lettuce garden was covered in feet of snow, so frozen over. With the warm weather lately we were able to remove the snow but the ropes over it are frozen down. Tomorrow they may thaw out, and we can go look in it to see how things are doing if anything. So we're excited to have this warm spell in february in wisconsin.

In the spring it looks like this:
wlasagnagardenafter2.jpg

thanks Vinylhanger, it's the same as yours over a raised bed. We lift off the tops in the summer.

That's very surprising. I'm in 6B Massachusetts and I have no issues with thyme/oregano surviving. Rosemary won't survive in my area but I think I will be successful for the first time ever. I have my outdoor rosemary in a mini hoophouse where I put a blanket on top when it drops to below 10deg which only happened 3 times this winter. I also took several cuttings indoors. They all made it through the winter.

Sorry to hear about your herbs, CD. I'm sure a lot of perennials were killed there, and all those areas with that cold they almost never get. In 6b/7a Jersey here, I only lost thyme during a very cold winter, down in the single digits, but the rosemary had to be covered when below 20°, sometimes putting a light bulb under the hoop house, for heat, in really low temps. In 2017 I lost some old rosemary, because the cover blew off in single digit temps, when I had just had knee surgery, so the next season I ordered some Hill Hardy rosemary, from Richter's, and it has survived down to 7°, without cover - I cover one when really cold, and leave the other uncovered, and both have survived. Definitely the most cold hardy rosemary I have grown. Sage usually survives cold - only had some purple sage succumb to the cold once, when it got below 0°f, so the sage is now next to the rosemary, to be covered when it gets really low.

Last edited:
My sage is on its 4th for 5th year. It went from a potted plant one year, and has then been transplanted in various places throughout the yard ( usually to less than ideal places, as I dont use stage to much and making rom for other things). It now resides in probably the absolute worst location in my garden, it was covered with 2 1/2 - 3 feet oof snow for the past month. It has just resurfaced and its still alive. Some branches got beaten up a bit, but definitely a survivor.

As for my Rosemary, usually they get killed off each year due to the cold. One year, we had relatively mild winter. When it got cold I tossed a garbage can over it to protect it from the elements and it survived ( but not the following year).

Last year, I potted a new one and took it into the garage for the winter ( the garage stays about 15 - 20 degrees warmer than the temps outside. As of yesterday, its looking pretty good. On warmer ways Ill start opening the garage door open a bit too get it some direct sun and eventually get it back outside again.

I have a flat of spinach that I started late last year but never got them in the ground. They are still in their cells , were also covered by the snow and also seem to have survived. Im curious to see how they will do as it warms up a bit. Once the soil is workable ill get them in the ground.

Eagerly waiting for my Rhubarb to pop its head up and my ramps too start breaking through.

Feb 28th we were able to roll up the cover frame (we put a new cover on it last year), and take a peek inside. (it had been covered in snow but we are getting into the 40's right now) This is the kale, very small.

coverframefeb28th-002.jpg

I am starting my chinense pepper varieties tonight - the only ones I'm growing before 4-1, when most get planted, since they are slowest growers early on, and sometimes the latest to ripen. A couple of the hybrids I will actually plant on 4 -5, as they grow so fast that they usually end up getting a few flower buds, before it's time to put them out.

Two are new to me this season - Paper Lantern habanero, and Death Spiral pepper, so I don't know what those will be doing. The Death Spiral is one of those superhots - only growing them out of curiosity, as I don't put them in food. A teenage friend wants to try them (and see how many of his friends will want more when they try them - his words), and we will give our extras to a friend who makes hot sauce, like I have in the past with superhots.

Picked up a used 6x8 glass greenhouse this weekend. Need to go back and grab the glass this weekend and set the panels. I will need to make a door, but that's not a big deal.20210228_172644.jpg

Picked up a used 6x8 glass greenhouse this weekend. Need to go back and grab the glass this weekend and set the panels. I will need to make a door, but that's not a big deal.View attachment 45835

Nice!
A greenhouse has always been on my bucket list. My grandparents had one, and as a kid I used too be in it all the time. Just have to figure out where Im going to put it. One day!

I sowed some cabbage seeds and they germinated fine. After 2 true leaves were on, one night it had all rotten I have no idea how or why. However the ridged gourd plants are growing well. So far green and healthy.

Well, here is the almost finished list of seeds started. There will be yarrow, and then the peppers will start indoors, california wonder and serrano.

# in front is how many jugs
19-20-21 seeds we saved from onions for which year

Plants winter sown
Soda bottles facing out left to right
Row 1 10 San Marzano
Row 2 10 Roma
Row 3 10 Redortas
Row 4 4 San Marzano 3 Roma 3 redorta
Row 5 10 amish paste
Row 6 5 white Tomesol
Tubs
1st 14 sand Marzano tray onions 19-20
2nd 14 Romas tray onions 19-20
3rd 14 redortas tray onions 19-20
Jugs
Row 1 2 lemon balm 8 asparagus 2 thyme 2 celerypink
Row 2 2 mullien 2 kalecabbage 1 marjoram 2 butterfly pea 2 blue kale 2 green basil 2 purple basil
Row 3 6 kale 1 clematis 2 marigold 1 echinacea 2 seashell cosmos 3 onions 19-20
Row 4 2 mako onion 3 onion 20-21 2 thunder kale 4 blue kale 2 stevia (6 seeds total)
155 jugs/trays/bottles/3.5 inch pots.

I cannot find people with milk or water jugs. I do have a small plastic greenhouse. Perhaps trying something with that would be worthwhile. I'm dying to toss something into dirt. :w00t2:

I cannot find people with milk or water jugs. I do have a small plastic greenhouse. Perhaps trying something with that would be worthwhile. I'm dying to toss something into dirt. :w00t2:
Some ideas for jugs--at gas stations after a snow, de-icer jugs. Starbucks, lots of gallon jugs (half gallon work too). 2 liter bottles from soda. Vinegar jugs. Plastic veggie containers w/tops. Tubs with tops, using 3.5 inch pots.

wintersown-004.jpg
wintersown-005.jpg

wintersown-006.jpg
wintersown-008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom