What Are Your Other Interests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Focus/shutter speed/aperture. As I mentioned, f-stop is a measurement, not a setting on a camera.

Another nice thing on digital cameras is that you can see your aperture and shutter speed setting in the viewfinder, and make adjustments quickly without taking the camera away from your eye.

Here is an interesting question for photographers. Are you left-eyed or right-eyed? Which eye do automatically use to look through a viewfinder? I am right handed, but left-eyed.

CD
totally disagree.

an expert/experience/ knowledgeable photographer will choose
shutter speed
or
f-stop
for either focal depth and/or blurring.

I bought a high end Nikon to digitally replace my film F1.
set in manual mode, one can not adjust either of those two parameters without going thru an bunch of menus.
yes - it is an abject failure of the camera maker - a failure which does not in any sense eliminate the "problem"

there is no, absolute none, mechanical method to adjust shutter speed on the Nikon 9000 series.
one has to go get thee a menu; or four.

there is a mechanical focus. there is no mechanical adjust for f-stop.
making any in viewer photographer demanded shutter speed/f-stop is just simply not possible.

for anything other than static poses, the Nikon 9000 series is utterly, and costly, useless.
use "full auto" - ala iPhone/others method, or die.

totally disagree.

an expert/experience/ knowledgeable photographer will choose
shutter speed
or
f-stop
for either focal depth and/or blurring.

I bought a high end Nikon to digitally replace my film F1.
set in manual mode, one can not adjust either of those two parameters without going thru an bunch of menus.
yes - it is an abject failure of the camera maker - a failure which does not in any sense eliminate the "problem"

there is no, absolute none, mechanical method to adjust shutter speed on the Nikon 9000 series.
one has to go get thee a menu; or four.

there is a mechanical focus. there is no mechanical adjust for f-stop.
making any in viewer photographer demanded shutter speed/f-stop is just simply not possible.

for anything other than static poses, the Nikon 9000 series is utterly, and costly, useless.
use "full auto" - ala iPhone/others method, or die.

Well, I only have 41 years experience as a professional photographer, so you are probably right. :rolleyes:

I shoot Nikon, but mine are D4s. I can shoot them manually, but usually Use Aperture Priority auto (not f-stop priority). Depth of field is important when photographing cars. But, for $6,000, you get a more professional camera than a $1200 D9000, which was a purely consumer grade camera.

But, thanks for pointing out my lack of experience and knowledge. (y)

CD

Like @Kathleen, I like saving/collecting old china, and using it, too. I have many of my Mom's small serving plates, German crystal glasses, Vaseline glass, teacups and saucers, vintage towels, potholders, and aprons. Most everything gets used in a rotation. A few pieces of our furniture were family pieces, too. And like Kathleen, if it can't be used it don't get kept!

I used to do a lot of needlework, but the old fingers don't cooperate anymore. I did hold on to a few kits, supplies, and cross stitch books, but I'm not sure that they will be put to use again. However, I can really appreciate and admire @medtran49's petit point; the smallest gauge I worked with was a 24-count (24 Xs to the inch) image of a Christmas wreath. It was an insert to a glass-topped serving tray that I made as a gift for my MIL one year. My Mom really admired it and hinted that she would like one, too. I did make one for her - on 6-count Herta cloth with yarn. Himself framed it and Mom hung it above her mantle each year for the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's holiday. I now use both items at the holidays since both Moms are gone...

We have done some traveling. I've managed to do something more than drive through (and pit-stop) in 34 states so far. Hoping to see the other 14 contiguous states before I go toes up. :LOL:

I've done a lot of gardening in the past. Not much when we lived in MA because tick bites were a real possibility. After seeing how miserable Himself was while battling a bout of Lyme disease, I pretty much abandoned yard work unless I was on the blacktop, covered all in white clothing, and sprayed to the hilt with bug spray. Ticks are a much smaller problem where we are in OH now. Got plans for the front yard, what there is of it. Now I also have grandkids to enlist for hauling dirt and mulch!

Used to play guitar a long, long time ago. I can still remember when. But it has been decades. Each time I think about going back and seeing if I can still fret, I remember how much fun it was building up callouses on my fingertips. :ohmy: Started on a Woolworth acoustic in high school; Dad bought me a Harmony for Christmas one year (can't play it anymore since the back is separating from the side of the body, but I still have it for sentimental reasons); I had, then sold, a Goya D100; and still have my Guild F-212. I bought it around 1972? from a friend of a friend, who had modified it for lower action, that is making it easier to press the strings down to make contact with the frets. She's a beauty, and a joy to play...but building up those callouses? Not such a joy.

I love to read. LOVE it! I usually have a cozy mystery and a non-fiction in Libby, a large print book for reading while on my recumbent stationary bike, and sometimes another book for the reading group that meets monthly at the library. We have a small library of our own, with books from our travels, history, biographies, science (a lot of astronomy and physics for Himself), and nature/gardening. I also have a collection of cook books, which I sometimes read as it they were novels. I did weed out a number of books before we moved because they were mostly place-fillers on the shelves. Happily, Cleveland and the surrounding area has a number of used book stores.

I've also done watercolor painting and chalk pastel pictures. Nothing great, but they were pretty passable.

...I also did not shoot people...

CD
Although I bet that there have been a few people over your lifetime that you would have liked to shoot, eh @caseydog? :oops:;):ROFLMAO:

When I was in California, I had a ton of hobbies. I did dog training and traveled to dog shows, I raised mice and showed them, I "raised" model horses and showed them, in 4 years I made a lovely garden and had to give all the plants away when I moved, I did search and rescue with a dog group when my dog was still alive and with a local rescue group afterwards, I'm an amateur astronomer and joined my astronomy club at all their star parties, I built and decorated dollhouses, and I was interested in a lot of science stuff - had subscriptions to all the magazines and Science Night on PBS was the highlight of my week. I also went to marching band competitions (just to watch) and air shows when they came around and tried to learn different languages on my own, occasionally taking a class. I helped my friend work up her endurance horses on evenings and weekends and trained a couple of hers so they could be ridden on the trail. I was also a professional student, going to community college and finally got my lower two years in. Then my rent went sky high and I moved to Washington state and there's really nothing happening here.

I've been to one rat show (there's no mouse shows up here), one model horse show, and I think there's a dog show finally here near my area this fall - in California, there were shows practically every weekend, ending in November and starting again with the San Francisco Kennel Club's show at the Cow Palace in February. I miss going there. I have traveled to Seattle and Portland for some marching band competitions, too, but most of the things I like to do are mainly being done over on the Seattle side of the water which is usually too far for me to travel.

I still have a telescope but haven't used it in a long time and I no longer have mice or rats. But I still build and decorate dollhouses and and for a while I was doing some ghost hunting with a couple of groups, although they've all disbanded.

I finally reconnected with my music, most of it from the 60s and early 70s as all those songs started showing up on YouTube and the music is something important in my life now, especially after not having heard so many songs in almost 45 years. And also, now if my yard gets done and I can get it fenced and get some raised beds next year, it will be the first regular garden I've had since 2001. So I've got that to look forward to.

Plus I read constantly and whenever I get bored I work on my number system that doesn't use a zero. I gotta name that some day. And of course, I'm on the computer now all the time (didn't get my own computer till 2005) and I've found a lot of forums where I can do what I do best: argue.

Edit to add: I guess I could say cooking is a sort of hobby, but honestly, it's not. It's interesting to read recipes, but I'm not crazy about cooking and I don't think I'm very good at it, although I do love to eat!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom