Your Definition of Vegetarian and Pescatarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All have specific definitions, but in many cases, each individual personalizes the diets to their needs and beliefs. I've heard people call themselves vegetarians because they don't eat red meat. I've heard others say they're vegetarians, but they eat fish. I've seen vegans have 'exceptions'. the only way to know for sure, is to ask. My wife is vegan, but she would eat the eggs from our chickens ( when we had chickens ) because she knew ( and saw) how they. were raised and treated. She. is vegan %50 for diet/ health and %50 for ethical reasons.

I remember seeing Martha Stewart. at a Food and Wine event. During the Q&A, some one asked " What do you do if you're throwing a party, and someone has dietary restrictions "? Her exact response was, " I just don't ask", followed with. a smirk and a subtle laugh.

We had acquaintances that were vegetarians. They were determined to spread the word. After the umpteenth lecture about what should not be eaten and why, I pointed out that it was a choice, not a religion. I stopped short of saying our ancestors fought their way to the top of the food chain so they could feast on broccoli!

We had acquaintances that were vegetarians. They were determined to spread the word. After the umpteenth lecture about what should not be eaten and why, I pointed out that it was a choice, not a religion. I stopped short of saying our ancestors fought their way to the top of the food chain so they could feast on broccoli!
That’s pretty standard these days and is not restricted to vegetarians.
1694181812108.png

I usually experience it when people who know I’m a diabetic insist on critiquing and commenting on my food choices, medications, etc…

Everyone always has something to say. What do you do for protein? Do you eat a lot of beans? Don't you get bored eating the same things over and over? Don't you get bored from eating salad all the time? B12 questions? Don't you miss meat? Dont you feel bad killing plants? How do you know they don't feel anything ? I can go on forever.

One of the best things we did in kitchens was to make vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and all kinds of dietary requirements the same dish. One dish that suited everyone.
It was never really my style, I didn’t think it was a great dish, but it served everything we would experience in dietary restrictions.
It was a tian of lentils, zucchini, carrots and onions with a vegan cheese sauce and some breadcrumbs and then baked.
It wasn’t bad, but hard to get excited about. 🫠

If you are eating most vegan store bought meats (or oreos) and you are doing it for animals, you could be completely satisfied and happy about it.
If you are eating most vegan store bought meats and you are doing it to get better health, there are isolated proteins used (not whole food types), and lots of oils/fats, and high in salt in them. Healthy eating vegan might consider it unhealthy food, and there is the dissatisfaction with it. (a health focused vegan)
If fats, sugar, salt, processing are of no concern, then these types of 'meat' are great.
You can't put all vegans in a box anymore than you can put all omnivores in a box of beliefs.
I don't know how a vegan focused on environmental issues feels about store bought vegan meat. It could go either way.

I’ve tried a few meat substitutes with mixed results.

IMO many of the manufactured vegetarian meat substitutes are probably as bad for the environment and our health as the processed meat products that they are intended to replace.

IMO they are not a good value and should only be used to help people transition to a plant based diet.

I’m skeptical of many products and feel that it’s probably best to use the grandma test on most modern specialty food products.

What would grandma do? 🤔

I’ve tried a few meat substitutes with mixed results.

IMO many of the manufactured vegetarian meat substitutes are probably as bad for the environment and our health as the processed meat products that they are intended to replace.

IMO they are not a good value and should only be used to help people transition to a plant based diet.

I’m skeptical of many products and feel that it’s probably best to use the grandma test on most modern specialty food products.

What would grandma do? 🤔
I used them when I've wanted to feed my vegetarian friends. Although, I will admit that I absolutely loved Boca Burgers. Not sure how healthy they are/were, but I sincerely loved them. As for how friendly they are to the environment or how healthy, I have no idea. Likely as good or better than something like Vienna Sausage. ;)

I do love the G-ma test! In this case, what would Grandma do? Invite them to a potluck where everyone brings something to share. 👵

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom