Healthiest form of cauliflower for longevity and/or taste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello again. I started adding Cali flour to what I eat every day for longevity as I heard eating Cali flour does that from some expert or doctor however I recently tried eating cali flour raw and I don't like the way it tastes, I just chopped it all up into little pieces, then put it in my bowls for each 3 meals a day that I eat. I Also don't like to chew on it as it is hard to chew on sort of like chewing on ice. Because of this I wanted to know if I could maybe eat the Cali flour in a different form so it tastes better, easer to eat or gives it flavor, maybe boil it, steam it or something. What would be your suggestions? What's the healthiest form of Cali flour to eat?

Yes, you can steam it. Personally, I don't like most steamed food because the water dilutes the flavor of the food. You can also roast it whole or sliced. Some people treat it like a steak by pan-frying it. Cooking it with a bit of olive oil will help your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Do you mean cauliflower? I thought you meant some sort of flour from California.

I agree with GG that steaming it makes it a bit watery tasting. Roasting it will concentrate the flavour but, the cooked flavour is less "sharp" than when it's raw. I have seen recipe for cooking an entire cauliflower in the oven au gratin. I didn't pay much attention to that because, I prefer cauliflower raw or very lightly cooked in a stir fry. Stir frying it can be a very healthy way to eat it. If there are other vegis in the stir fry, you might enjoy it more. I like a nice mix of vegis in a stir fry and often include some things that I wouldn't want to eat on their own. They can even enhance the flavour of a mix.

BTW, I think you can get the same or similar health benefits as from cauliflower in most brassicas, AKA, cruciferous vegetables - the cabbage family, which is huge.

In the Cabbage family are Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Spinach, Bok Choy. These are the cruciferous vegetables taxy is referring to. Of these broccoli is one of the best. With the exception of Kale :sick: all are my favourites.

I do 'steam' both Broccoli and Cauliflower. I wash/rinse them and shake excess moisture off, pop into a glass covered dish, microwave on high for "maybe" a minute. You would have to experiment with your own micro to find the right timing and with different quantities. I also add seasoning sprinkled on before.

Cauliflower unless I have a specific recipe I most often eat raw. I sit and watch TV snacking on bits and pieces. I've been know to consume over half of a large cauliflower this way, :neutral:.

That being said - I also rarely purchase cauliflower as even when they are on sale, a small head can easily cost 3.99$ Cdn.

We make a whole large cauliflower at once, trimmed, washed, and in pieces around 2 inches. A simple batter of any kind of flour, flavorings, water, then dipped in bread crumbs. Baked on 2 half sheet pans lined with parchment, 350 deg F for an hour. This is fairly plain in taste. Dip in a bbq sauce, or mustard sauce, or buffalo hot sauce, a little bit of flavor.
Store the extra in the fridge. We get 2 or three servings of them from one cauliflower. Big servings-a meal.

In fact we may have that today, along with battered breaded vidalia onion slabs. (sliced about 1/2 inch thick)

Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable that offers various health benefits. While the taste preference may vary from person to person, the healthiest form of cauliflower can be determined by considering its nutrient content and preparation methods. Here are two forms of cauliflower that are often considered healthy for both longevity and taste:
  1. Raw Cauliflower: Raw cauliflower is an excellent choice for maximizing nutrient intake. When eaten raw, cauliflower retains most of its nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and dietary fiber. Raw cauliflower also provides a satisfying crunch and a mild, slightly nutty flavor. It can be enjoyed as a snack, added to salads, or used as a base for vegetable platters.
  2. Steamed or Roasted Cauliflower: Steaming or roasting cauliflower is another healthy option that preserves its nutritional value while enhancing the flavor and texture. Both methods help retain the vegetable's vitamins, minerals, and fiber content. Steaming cauliflower maintains its crispness and delicate flavor, while roasting brings out a nutty, caramelized taste. These cooking methods can enhance the natural sweetness of cauliflower and make it more appealing to those who prefer softer textures.

Be sure to save the cauliflower leaves and core to make a pot of creamy cauliflower soup.

Simmer the chopped cauliflower in seasoned water or chicken stock until tender and purée using an immersion or conventional blender.

You can add other vegetables or finish it with cream or cheese.

Read a few recipes on the internet and adapt them to what you happen to have on hand.

Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable that offers various health benefits. While the taste preference may vary from person to person, the healthiest form of cauliflower can be determined by considering its nutrient content and preparation methods. Here are two forms of cauliflower that are often considered healthy for both longevity and taste:
  1. Raw Cauliflower: Raw cauliflower is an excellent choice for maximizing nutrient intake. When eaten raw, cauliflower retains most of its nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and dietary fiber. Raw cauliflower also provides a satisfying crunch and a mild, slightly nutty flavor. It can be enjoyed as a snack, added to salads, or used as a base for vegetable platters.
You need some fat in order for the body to absorb vitamin K, though, since it's fat-soluble.

We make a whole large cauliflower at once, trimmed, washed, and in pieces around 2 inches. A simple batter of any kind of flour, flavorings, water, then dipped in bread crumbs. Baked on 2 half sheet pans lined with parchment, 350 deg F for an hour. This is fairly plain in taste. Dip in a bbq sauce, or mustard sauce, or buffalo hot sauce, a little bit of flavor.
Store the extra in the fridge. We get 2 or three servings of them from one cauliflower. Big servings-a meal.

In fact we may have that today, along with battered breaded vidalia onion slabs. (sliced about 1/2 inch thick)
Picture of 1/2 of a cauliflower in 2 inch pieces, on left.
frozendessertflowersscape-005.jpg

Cut open, cauliflower wings and onion slabs.
frozendessertflowersscape-006.jpg

Love cauliflower and I consume it regularly but for a Doctor to say it adds to longevity is not based on actual science simply because no studies have been performed on any food, those studies are just too expensive and confounders over the study timeframe (birth to death) can't all be accounted for. As a blanket statement for a population wide audience vegetables are good and healthy, individually though, that needs to be teased out.

What can be said for certain is some foods can contribute to general population wide health problems, mostly metabolic that shorten ones lifespan and in that respect removing those and replacing with something else, like vegetables for example will by default correlate to an increased lifespan. Basically most science on food and lifespan is looking at epidemiology based on FFQ's and observational data which translates into an observation that adding fruit and vegetables leads to a more healthy lifestyle and longevity. imo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom