Didn't anyone eat yesterday? How about today, April 13th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you pull down part of the husk to have a look? Do they frown on doing that nowadays?

I do that, but I don't think stores like it, especially if you don't like what you see and put it back. I can't pull it down more than the first inch or two.

CD

I can test without pulling down. Grab the silk tassel end, if it feels thick it is ready. Skinny put it back.

And no, it is not frown on to peel a section back. Time honoured tradition.
If they don't want you to peel a bit back, they won't sell them loose.

I do that, but I don't think stores like it, especially if you don't like what you see and put it back. I can't pull it down more than the first inch or two.

CD
I thought I remember pulling it down more and then trying to make it look nice again afterwards. I haven't bought corn on the cob in a store since they switched to the new sweeter kinds that I don't like.

I pull a small section down, then, if it looks okay, I pull the rest off to get rid of most of the silk and husk so I don't have that mess at home. Apparently a lot of people do that because they have big garbage cans right there.

That corn looks scrumptious Kathleen, saw some looking good at the store thr other day.
Too bad they are still 3 or 4 per pkg. I pretty much only buy one at a time, max 2.
If it lingers more than a day or so, I strip it from the cob and use it for corn pudding, or fried corn, or even corn cakes. Mmmm.....corn. :D And if it is fresh corn, use the cobs to make corn jelly.

Tonight the 14th is pan seared arctic char with a brown butter and caper sauce, one of my favs with broccolini and roasted cauli.
Why not start a new thread for this evening, here:

EDIT
I see there is a supper thread started for today, about a half an hour ago.

Last edited:
I thought I remember pulling it down more and then trying to make it look nice again afterwards. I haven't bought corn on the cob in a store since they switched to the new sweeter kinds that I don't like.
I and my son were off corn for many years after we picked up some of the new popular tri-coloured corn on our way home one night.
It was disgustingly sweet - be both almost gagged.
It seems much tamer now and so I have it again. Not a lot but several times during the season.

Back
Top Bottom