Honey fried chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mississippi Girl

Assistant Cook
Many years ago, I had some chicken wings that were called honey fried wings. There was defo a sweetness and the coating was crispy and smooth. They were awesome and had no need for dipping sauce.
I have tried a few different ways but coating "appears" like a tempura but my coating gets nicely browned but wing itself was not done.
Any ideas?

Just a guess...but since any kind of "sugar" will burn when exposed to high heat the honey fried wings may have had a honey glaze brushed on after they were cooked...
Maybe try frying some wings, and immediately after removeing them from the oil... brush some thinned (warmed) honey on them...Just a hint of honey glaze would be enough!!
HTH.....

Have Fun!!

I coulda swore we had this same discussion a few months back in another thread, but couldn't find it. I can't remember for sure, but I thought someone's solutions was more honey 'flavoring' than actual honey added into the buttermilk soaking. Then it was breaded and fried. This way it didn't burn. Someone else suggested a thinned out honey mixture then coating then frying to see if it wouldn't burn that way, but I don't know how that turned out.
I like UB's suggestion in this case, fry then coat. Seems the easiest way to do it. I would think a very light coating would soak into the coating so they wouldn't be that sticky or messy.

LOL I said the same thing there that I said here, that I couldn't find the thread about it. Talk about going in circles!

Honey Homestyle Fried Chicken

Honey Homestyle Fried Chicken

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions

Coat chicken with honey; set aside. Combine baking mix, ginger, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well. Roll honey-coated chicken in seasoned mixture. Brown chicken in hot oil in nonstick skillet. Drain excess oil. Place chicken on rack in baking pan and bake at 350°F 20 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear.

Heres another....

Honey Fried Chicken

- Makes 4 to 6 servings -

Ingredients

• 3 lbs. cut-up chicken
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk baking mix
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Vegetable oil
Directions

Coat chicken with honey; set aside. Combine buttermilk baking mix, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in mixture. Heat 1/2 inch oil to 375°F in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Carefully place chicken in hot oil and cook about 5 minutes or until underside of chicken is golden; turn chicken pieces and cook about 5 minutes, turning as needed. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 to 20 minutes more or until juices run clear. Remove chicken; drain on paper towels.

Back
Top Bottom