Stuffed, tunnel-boned duck splitting open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kujiraya

Assistant Cook
This weekend, I stuffed and cooked a tunnel-boned duck. However, it split open along the middle of the breast, where the duck's breast-bone would have been. I think I might have over-stuffed the duck, but I'm also thinking that tying a few strings across the duck's chest might have prevented this from happening. Would there be a best way to tie strings around a duck for this purpose? Do you have any other suggestions on how to prevent a stuffed, tunnel-boned duck from splitting open, down the middle like this, in the future? Thanks!

If it split because it was over stuffed. It will split between the strings. The solution isn't string.

Thanks, Andy M. I think I put in 3 x more stuffing than I should have. The duck looked like it had grown to twice its original size by the time I had finished stuffing it.

How do I know when enough stuffing is enough, apart from through experience (trial and error)?

Remember, stuffing expands as it is cooking. Have you ever made stuffing for your holiday turkey and had leftovers? You place the extra into a casserole bowl and bake it. When you take it out of the oven, it has swollen and looks like more than you remember putting in the oven. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom