Japanese shokupan/Tang zhon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I searched all the bread sub-forums for this unique starter. It’s used to make Japanese shokupan, or milk bread. Technically it’s not a starter, it’s a roux. Liquid/flour at a 5:1 ratio, with the flour being at 5% of the total flour. It’s then heated and whisked until it reaches 150°f, when it gelatinizes. It’s then cooled to room temp, and added the to other ingredients. I have yet to try it; I wondered if any of you have any experience with it?

If you’ve never had shokupan, you’re missing out! Pillowy, fine crumb, delightfully square (makes it easy to slice). And because of the tang zhon, it keeps better than regular breads (there’s a whole lotta science behind that). Nothing is better in the morning than a steaming cup of dark, sweet coffee, and a thick slice of shokupan slathered with butter and jam.

...Technically it’s not a starter, it’s a roux. Liquid/flour at a 5:1 ratio..
Technically technically, it's not a starter nor a roux - it is a slurry. A roux is equal parts fat and flour, period. A slurry is a dry thickening agent (flour, cornstarch, arrowroot) thoroughly combined with a liquid (water, broth, juice) at a ratio of 1:4.

What's the difference between a roux and a slurry?

You are welcome to my allotment of sweetener for your coffee. I'll have mine plain and black, please. :D

Last edited:
Problem with pre-sliced Japanese breads is that they're too thick to fit in standard American toasters.
If I recall correctly, Japanese shokupan loaves were all the same size, but there were different slice options available. I think four, six, and eight were the common slice amounts. Also, when I was living there, most households relied on a toaster oven, as Japanese kitchens are too small for both a toaster oven and a toaster.

The bread is delicious, toasted or not, and if you make it at home, it’s your loaf and you can slice it any way you want!

Technically technically, it's not a starter nor a roux - it is a slurry. A roux is equal parts fat and flour, period. A slurry is a dry thickening agent (flour, cornstarch, arrowroot) thoroughly combined with a liquid (water, broth, juice) at a ratio of 1:4.

What's the difference between a roux and a slurry?

You are welcome to my allotment of sweetener for your coffee. I'll have mine plain and black, please. :D
Technically, you are quite correct, but all the tang zhong recipes I’ve come across so far, if they don’t use the Chinese word, refer to it as “water roux.” Go figure!

Other uses for tangjhon?

My shokupan came out so well that I’d like to use the starter, tangjhon, in other types of loaves. But an internet search for “breads that use tangjhon” only delivered recipes for shokupan or pan au lait? Can a tangjhonbe used in any other type of loaf?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom