Rubber pancakes???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new mom/wife

Assistant Cook
I have been trying to make pancakes from scratch all day. Every time I try to make a batch, they turn out rubbery and thick. I have tried different recipes, mixing it for a longer and shorter period of time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate some help!!! thank you!:chef:

Pancakes can be difficult. I find that the 2 key things are not to overmix the batter and to make sure the skillet is just the right temp. Too hot and they will burn, not hot enough and they will take too long to cook and will be dry and rubbery. I've also had better luck using a cast iron skillet or griddle - I seem to have a harder time regulating the temp on my non-stick griddle. I hope this helps and welcome to DC!

I know this is cheating a bit, but if you get complete pancake mix in a store, even though it says, 'Just add water', adding an egg into it does a world of difference. And I take the butter spread (country crock, or Blue Bonnet) and melt a spoonfull,

Take a Ladle and use that to make them uniformally, and drop it swirling inward so the butter is pushed towards the middle and throughout the pancake rather than being pushed away.

I've tried makeing them from scratch and it always tastes like chalk to me. I think I may be adding too much baking powder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom