"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #61
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
I see your point buying from local Florida farmers on the fish. But, farm raised is never as healthy and nutritious as wild caught. Farm raised (even in Fla) often use chemicals in the water. I would rather er on the side of safety and look for wild caught. I lived in Fla. many years and always bought from the boats coming in. Still do- when I am there. It is just not as common as it used to be do to overfishing. I do stay away from Swordfish and other fish that are far over-fished. For me -it is wild fish or no fish. Even in Michigan, the markets are full of Chinese seafood. And, the Great Lakes are all around us. I search and research and find Michigan Lake fish. I spent alot of time talking to owners of markets and making inquiries and suggestions re: farm-raised foreign fish and farm raised fish, in general.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #62
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,543
All the fish in my freezer comes from Florida and Alaska.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #63
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Glad to hear that about the Florida and Alaska seafood in your fridge.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #64
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Tilapia eaters beware!
Welcome to DC.

Do you have credible sources for these claims?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #65
Head Chef
 
Mimizkitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Welcome to DC.

Do you have credible sources for these claims?
Frank, I don't find that information anymore alarming then the way chickens are raised, or cattle is slaughtered... It is what it is, chickens, and turkeys are raised in filth, and we still eat them... My only hope is that in the future the way these animals are raised, will change... For the sake of my grandchildren, and their children to come...
__________________
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Good to know about making sure that the tilapia is not from China, but then again I try to avoid most things from China. I will still eat tilapia, just not from China!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #67
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Good to know about making sure that the tilapia is not from China, but then again I try to avoid most things from China. I will still eat tilapia, just not from China!
+1. Now if we could only stop the raping of our native wildlife for the Chinese market. Both here and in China!

Craig
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #68
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Frank, I don't find that information anymore alarming then the way chickens are raised, or cattle is slaughtered... It is what it is, chickens, and turkeys are raised in filth, and we still eat them... My only hope is that in the future the way these animals are raised, will change... For the sake of my grandchildren, and their children to come...

Alarming? No. Paranoid and propaganda? Yes.

Quote:
They look diseased and sickly and are injected with anti-biotics and anti-biotics added to water to make them appear healthy and then shipped to good old USA.
This is more than "they are raised in filth" and franky sounds like an unsubstantiated rumor. But it is ok to make claims that have no proof because it is China.

The number of facts that have been proven to be cultural bias, rumor and paranoid propaganda is staggering. I am not saying it isn't true, I would however welcome credible and verifiable sources for such allegations.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #69
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Welcome to DC.

Do you have credible sources for these claims?
If he doesn't I do.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #70
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
If he doesn't I do.
Would you please post them?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #71
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
I enjoy lobster steamed and served with butter and freshly sweezed lemon juice. I also like shrimp cocktail and crawfish boils.. :) Scallops are good too when panfried with nothing added it to it..except maybe with some salsa :)
kookiblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #72
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Tilapia

Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.
That's plenty good enough for me. Thanks for the heads up, LAJ
I've never eaten Tilapia, and now I never will.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #74
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
I love your quote....
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,543
Popular Fish, Tilapia, Contains Potentially Dangerous Fatty Acid Combination

Here is the article.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
Blasphemy!!!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Blasphemy!!!
Bacon lovers unite!!


Quote:
I love your quote....
Thanks LAJ
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
Pacanis, I could care less if fish eat corn but this makes my stomach turn... I won't touch catfish for the same reason.....
Quote:
Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders.
Patooie.....
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #80
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
My favorite seafood to cook is Greenling Cod (I've only seen it sold at commercial harbor markets along the northern Pacific U.S. coast). Its flesh is a uber-cool turquoise color that cooks to white. Taste is a bit milder, texture a bit more delicate, than mass market ling cod.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, seafood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.