A Pinch Of This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timeloyd

Washing Up
Carbondale, Ill. U.S.A. Earth / ZZ 9 Plural Z A
What are the measurements they used in the old days. On the Beverly Hillbellies Granny was measuring by Pinchs, Bits, Tads, etc. and they tried to figure out the equivalents.
I have figured that a pinch is what you can hold between 2 fingers and 2 pinchs is 1/4 teaspoon, and a tad is what fills up the hollow between the creases formed in your palm when you bring your fingers together which is about 1/4 teaspoon.
How accurate am I and what are the old measurements in Teaspoons, Tablespoons and Cups?

Here's a bit of information I found on the topic for you:
Miscellaneous Measures

At times a recipe will call for a quantity that is not a standard measurement, such as pinch, dash, jigger, scant or heaping. Measurements of this type can be confusing as to the exact quantity to use. The descriptions below may help when these measurements are called for in a recipe.
Pinch - A measurement used on dry ingredients that is the amount you can pinch between your forefinger and thumb. It is less than a dash and equivalent to approximately 1/16 teaspoon.
Dash - A small amount of an ingredient equivalent to over 1/16 teaspoon but less than 1/8 teaspoon when measuring dry ingredients. A dash used to measure liquid ingredients equals approximately 3 drops.
Jigger - A measurement equivalent to 3 tablespoons or 1 ½ fluid ounces.
Scant - A scant measurement indicates that you should use slightly less than the actual measure.
Heaping - A term, used when measuring dry ingredients, indicating that enough ingredient should be added in the measure so that it heaps over the rim of the measuring cup or spoon.

Here's the full page, if you'd like more:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-7-584/measuring-tips.asp

Back
Top Bottom