Can I call it "homemade"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I've been working on my gravy making skills. I made the roux, add seasonings, but then I used canned beef broth. I knew the roast I was cooking wouldn't produce enough. Can I still call it homemade? Maybe there isn't a correct answer, but your opinions please?

I've been working on my gravy making skills. I made the roux, add seasonings, but then I used canned beef broth. I knew the roast I was cooking wouldn't produce enough. Can I still call it homemade? Maybe there isn't a correct answer, but your opinions please?

It's definitely homemade. It's not "from scratch". Check out my sig.

You can call it anything you like. You are the one making it. It is not like you are trying to sell it. Whatever you are comfortable calling it is what you should call it.

After all, how many restaurants advertise their food as homemade? What do they do, cook it at their house and bring it in to the restaurant each day?

That puts a whole new spin on "house" dressing. Whose house? Did one of the valets bring it to work with him? lol

I learned to make gravy with meat drippings, flour, water, and salt and pepper.. It tasted great! It wasn't until years later that I heard about people using broth/stock in place of water. So I think you ÜP'd Homemade a Notch.:chef:

GB said:
You can call it anything you like. You are the one making it. It is not like you are trying to sell it. Whatever you are comfortable calling it is what you should call it.

After all, how many restaurants advertise their food as homemade? What do they do, cook it at their house and bring it in to the restaurant each day?

Wouldn't that drive the health inspectors nuts!

That puts a whole new spin on "house" dressing. Whose house? Did one of the valets bring it to work with him? lol

They use Monopoly houses to make the dressing didn't you know?

Want to guess the secret ingredient in Maître d'Hôtel Butter?

Last edited:
A caterer told me that if you combine three ingredients, it can be listed as "home made" and that included adding a bit more salt and pepper. So gravy made with canned broth can be labeled "Home made".

Back
Top Bottom