Fish recipes that don't taste fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mischief Managed

Assistant Cook
I am all about getting fish (preferrably cod since it isn't really fishy) in my diet. But the thing is I HATE fish with a passion. So I was hoping someone could tell me recipes that allow me to cook fish so the seasoning will over-power the fish taste?
:pig:

Well.......all fish taste different.....to me, anyway.
You probably like Cod (somewhat) because it is a very mild
tasting fish. Flounder, Orange Roughy, and Sole would be
similar.

You can marinate them in some Italian Dressing for a
few hours; that should cover up any Fishy flavor. You can do the
same with Salmon; but marinate it for 6 hours or longer, as it has
a strong flavor. You could season the Fish very heavily with
your favorite seasonings; like...Pepper, Garlic, Lemon, ect.

You could cover the Fish with a Pasta Sauce of some kind.
If you like Mexican food; you could cover the Fish with some
"Chili Verde" (green chili).

You can also make any fish into a salad, like Tuna Salad.
Just add some Mayonnaise, Mustard, Celery, Pepper, Garlic,
and whatever other seasonings you like.

Anyway , to make a fish less fishy, you could try by rubbing some lemon juice on them :)

Soaking the piece of fish in milk overnight will remove a LOT of the fishiness taste.
But if you are looking for specific ways to season it so the fish is masked, "blacken" it. Blackened fish is really more about the seasoning than the fish.

If your fish is FRESH, it won't taste or smell fishy. "Fishy" happens when the fish has passed that threshold of freshness. When you go into a market, if you can smell what you identify as "fish," likely it isn't fresh. If you start with fresh, you'll be much more pleased, and you won't have to do anything to "mask" the flavor.

Besides, if you really don't LIKE fish, why are you punishing yourself by eating it?

If your fish is FRESH, it won't taste or smell fishy. "Fishy" happens when the fish has passed that threshold of freshness. When you go into a market, if you can smell what you identify as "fish," likely it isn't fresh. If you start with fresh, you'll be much more pleased, and you won't have to do anything to "mask" the flavor.

Besides, if you really don't LIKE fish, why are you punishing yourself by eating it?

Very true.

How can I get ahold of fresh fish? The ones I buy at the market are most certianly not fresh... In fact I kept my cod in the fridge 2 days after I bought it :rolleyes:
And I just want a healthier alternative I guess. I literally eat no fish so I feel the mix up will do my diet good.

How can I get ahold of fresh fish? The ones I buy at the market are most certianly not fresh... In fact I kept my cod in the fridge 2 days after I bought it :rolleyes:
And I just want a healthier alternative I guess. I literally eat no fish so I feel the mix up will do my diet good.

Find a reputable seller.

Always smell it before you buy. It should not have a discernable "fishy" smell but should smell very neutral or even like the ocean.

Cook it that night.

Also, if you are eating fish for health reasons, avoid Tilapia that isn't raised in the US. The tilapia sold in most stores comes from foreign countries such as China where it is farmed in unsanitary conditions.

Definitely smell the fish before you buy. If it smells fishy, don't buy it. And, always cook it the day you buy it. You can also ask when the fish arrives. I don't see an area where you are, but if there is a locker plant or fish plant near you, that might be a good place to buy fresh fish. I personally only like cod, walleye, sole, and salmon. I don't really care for oily fish and I am partial to white fish. Oh, and really fresh tuna.

Why indeed force yourself to eat something you don't like? If you are worried specifically about DHA and EPA, use fish oil capsules. For omega-3's in general, there's flaxseed, chia seed (becoming very "in" at the moment), and even eggs, especially eggs from chickens specially fed to up their omega-3 content. But, also, imitation crab or lobster meat is often pollock fish. Pollock is high on the list, higher than cod. The added crab or lobster flavor tends to take over. And pollock is also the common fish in "fish sticks" and such, and being fried, is often more palatable to fish haters.

I find that certain things help mask the fish flavor. Onions, garlic, parsley for starters, so I load up on that when cooking. Rinse the fish well before cooking and eat it the same day you buy it or thaw it.

I don't eat a lot of fish either, but I eat shrimp and scallops to get those kind of nutrients instead.

Proper fish is not supposed to smell 'fishy' - if it does - it has gone 'off'

Some of the hints so far here probably give some idea how to recover some fish in this situation

But that isn't really the way to go forward - people should have a sniff of fish BEFORE they buy - and then do everything possible to keep it ice cold - and cook it as soon as possible.

They should also squawk at their retailer to keep FRESH fish.

It's just ridiculous to keep fish-eating in a Ground Hog Day syndrome - and trying to find methods of disguise and obfuscation.

cod is mild flaky, can be pan fried (dust in flour, dip in egg, roll in cracker meal) nice and crispy served with cocktail or tartar sauce
flounder cooked in butter with fresh lemon
catfish...get the cajun marinated and fry as above
plain catfish, cut bite size, a little saki, 5 spice powder, stir fry with veg serve over rice

enjoy!

Robo410 said:
cod is mild flaky, can be pan fried (dust in flour, dip in egg, roll in cracker meal) nice and crispy served with cocktail or tartar sauce
flounder cooked in butter with fresh lemon
catfish...get the cajun marinated and fry as above
plain catfish, cut bite size, a little saki, 5 spice powder, stir fry with veg serve over rice

enjoy!

I can't handle fishy, and would agree with Robo's list and the recs of others. I would also add swai, a very mild catfish relative, available frozen at most grocers, along with walleye.

We're lucky to enjoy really fresh fish during our forays to Mexico. Here where we live in the states, we're kinda stuck with frozen.

I really like smoked salmon, don't care for it otherwise.

Last edited:
Moderation is often cited as the key to a good diet. Less often mentioned is its flip side -- variety. If that's your motivation, Mischief, then I commend you. But, if you think "healthy"="fish," then I would again suggest that you're misled. As for fresh fish, many people don't have a fish monger/market nearby, so...

1) ask your meat/seafood attendant, or store manager, 2) buy frozen. Either way, don't forget to bring cooler + ice unless your store is a two minute drive away.

The distinction should be made between fish-i-ness and fish-ness. If your problem with fish is the latter, no amount of flavor-masking will get you past the aversion.

Back
Top Bottom