Underrated kinds of fish... and good recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron Craine

Assistant Cook
Hello,

A friend of mine is visiting next month. They are fish enthusiasts and know almost everything there is to know about fish and sea food in general. They eat fish nearly every day and enjoy all types of fish. They especially enjoy types of fish which are not very common (eg they are less interested in Salmon, Trout and Barrumundi, as you can find these things everywhere.) Moreover, although I occasionally cook seafood & fish, I am not an expert in seafood and kind of fish. Moreover, I hope to impress them whilst they are visiting with something slightly out of the ordinary but also tasty!!!

Does anyone have any good recipes for fish which I can try,

Thankyou so much,

Aaron Craine

Wow, tall order. Where are they from? Just to give us an idea of what may or may not impress them. As in North America, South, Central, Maritimes, Europe, etc. don't need to know exact but it might help to know the area. Do they love fish because they live in a coastal area?

All that being said, I have quite a few recipes but they are for pretty mundane fish. Some, I think, are different - all tasty.
Usually someone who likes fish also likes shellfish. Opens up another world. Mussels, clams, oysters, shrimp, lobster - (Squid and octopus think I would avoid, they're very touchy.)

Keep in mind, if they are real experts at cooking their fish - don't try to pass them in their own game! LOL
Actually, why not take them to the fish market, let them choose a fish and get them to impress you with their skills.

But even if they do - you can still be knowledgeable! I'm sure there are going to be tons of recipes about to come your way!

Don't forget that appetizers can impress! Simple but many don't do Escargot thinking it is difficult.
Sea Scallops is another full meal that can impress.
Not necessarily Bay Scallops as they can be tricky to not overcook and become rubbery.

If they are experts on fish and seafood it might be best to serve chicken. 🤭

I wouldn’t try to impress friends, I would use their visit as an opportunity to learn from them.

Prepare by finding the best local sources of fish and seafood then ask them to help you make an appropriate selection.

Relax and enjoy the visit!

if they are fish enthusiasts and eat fish often then I’d strongly suggest you limit your focus to fish or shellfish that is very fresh and local to you. Prepared simply without ingredients that mask the taste of the fish.

Here is an impressive, not difficult way with Lobster Tails. I do not buy whole lobsters anymore, don't think they are worth the time, trouble nor money. This recipe is a great way to impress. Watch the video and there are the written out instructions as well. Separate but easy enough to follow, IMHO
Chef John's Deviled Lobster Tails
Loabster n Trudy 22.09.04.jpg

and then there's our own Andy's
Tuscan Butter Shrimp
20230604_191635.jpg

got the pic! I served this one over Glass Noodles as they easily wait while you do the main dish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom