Making Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook45

Assistant Cook
What is the order in which you should cook things (chicken, veggies, eggs, etc.) and what determines that order? I have seen videos on youtube and everyone seems to do it differently.

Not sure the order is critical. With the average home range, there isn't always enough power to work a wok as is done in a restaurant kitchen where they have a jet engine to provide heat.

I stir-fry in batches. I usually cook any raw protein first and remove it to a plate, then I cook the veggies. Once it's all cooked I add the rice and sauce and all the cooked parts and toss it all together. It's a bit tedious but it ensures you can keep the wok super hot the get the appropriate flavors out of the food.

I also do it like Andy - cooking the items separately, with the eggs first, the meats or seafood, then some of the veggies together, if they are similar, adding the scallion greens last, more of a garnish, as well as cilantro, if it is in that dish. Just be sure to use cold rice!

Not sure the order is critical. With the average home range, there isn't always enough power to work a wok as is done in a restaurant kitchen where they have a jet engine to provide heat.

I stir-fry in batches. I usually cook any raw protein first and remove it to a plate, then I cook the veggies. Once it's all cooked I add the rice and sauce and all the cooked parts and toss it all together. It's a bit tedious but it ensures you can keep the wok super hot the get the appropriate flavors out of the food.

Ditto what Andy said. Probably best method and order for @home cooking. Usually eggs/remove to side dish, meats/move to side dish, veggies, rice, put rest back in. I pre cook the rice in instantpot and then just add to fry at end of order like Andy’s method.

Last edited:
I do as the others above explain..

I make whatever sauce I choose first and let it sit until all other ingredients are combined, adding it as a finish..

The good thing about a stir fry, besides the ease of making it, is that there are no set rules except that the sauce is always the finish..

Ross

Ditto to everyone!

There are no rules, everyone finds the method that works best for them.

You try all of them and then make your own out of the group.

If I'm following a specific recipe, I do as written. Next time I make it I might change it up to whatever suits me.

example - adding the eggs. I've done both before, cooked them, shredded and set aside. I've also done it towards the end as well, same method. I don't find any difference in the egg texture or taste. It is just a small component.
Personally I think doing it ahead makes more sense as even if it cools somewhat it is so thin it rehaets easily when added back in.

My planning skills need work. I seldom make rice ahead of time as I don't think about making fried rice until dinnertime approaches.

I use a trick I learned some time ago. I cook a quantity of rice, spread it out on a sheet pan and pop it into the freezer. The rice will freeze quickly. Then I take the pan out of the freezer before I start the recipe.

Using day old rice makes a better dish because the process of chilling cooked rice before using it changes the texture of the rice. Freezing for a short time does the same thing and bypasses my lack of forethought.

When I cook rice, I almost always cook enough to have some for future meals. Often, I make wax paper packets of single servings of the cooked rice and put all the packets in a zipper bag and freeze it. They nuke really well. Before I had a microwave oven, I used to empty the packets into a colander and steam it. Either way works well. For fried rice, I just take them out of the freezer and let them defrost at room temperature.

The only addition I have is to add 2 tbs toasted sesame oil to a tbs. of bacon grease to fry the rice in.

If you are serving and trying to impress, use tis technique for cooking the meat -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJU2Fj9NNlc
Always cut the meat against the grain. to make it even more tender, lay the meat strips, after marinading in the velveting slurry, on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. As the water in the meat cells freezes, it expands, rupturing the cell walls. This makes the meat even more tender. Then poach in 300 degree oil, or scalding water (just under a boil)until the coating turns opaque. Remove to a bowl and add to the fried rice after mixing in the stir-fried veggies. This is a bit involved, so save it for that special dinner.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom