Black Japonica Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I picked up some Black japonica Rice on amazon.
Related rices: black, red, wild, forbidden

I cooked it up in boiling water, and then drained and rinsed. It took 30 minutes to cook. It has a creamy texture when chewing, more so than starchy. I like it. It has a popcorn smell while cooking.

I'm not sure what I'll use it in yet. Maybe part of a veggie meatloaf. Ideas?

This recipe came from Bon Appétit or 1 of the other food mags. I made it once and liked it, but Craig didn't so we never made it again. He wasn't thrilled with the rice texture besides the fact it was vegetarian.

1 cup Thai black rice (also called forbidden rice)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 T tamari (soy sauce brewed purely from soybeans, not like shoyu, which is a blend of soybeans and wheat)
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp sambal oelek or other hot chili paste
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
6 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced

Put the rice, 2 cups water, and a pinch of salt in a pan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the tamari, sesame oil, lime juice, and sambal oelek or chili paste together in a salad bowl.

Add the cashews, red and yellow bell peppers, and green onions.

When the rice is ready, add it to the mixture and toss to coat everything well.

Add salt, pepper, and additional sambal oelek or lime juice to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I have made a mix of white/brown/black rice. Of course, I discovered you cannot cook the black with the rest - they all come out purple! LOL but still, cook individually and mix together. It is quite pretty. I don't often use the brown with but sometimes. Just the black and white is a nice combo, with a bit of chive or scallion.

Have 2 other recipes (edit) I have done both and they are both quite tasty.

Asian Black Rice Salad
1/2 c. black rice
1 carrot, shredded
1/3 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds

1 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp light sesame oil*
1/2 tsp black pepper

Boil black rice (approx 2-1, adding more water if needed), til softened. Allow to cool completely

Add sauce and other ingredients to a bowl and marinate for about 15 minutes or so. Add cooked rice, toss and serve.

*if using regular sesame oil use only 1/2 and add vegie oil (or preferred type) to make up the difference. ((I've not done this, just used a smaller amount of regular sesame oil - was fine for me))

Sesame Black Rice
(this one I only did once and although very tasty - I'm not a "remember to start it the night before" type of dragn.) Plus not a huge fan of coconut - but just had to try it at least once, :)

1 cup black rice (7 oz)
sea or kosher salt
1.5 cups grated coconut
3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp light teriyaki sauce

Soak the black rice overnight in cold water. Drain and place rice in a heatproof bowl and add 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 tsp salt. Place the bowl in a larger pot (double boiler) with a lid and steam for up to an hour, or until rice is tender.

Mix together the coconut, sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, teriyaki sauce and brown sugar together in a small bowl, then mix in with the cooked rice and serve.

If I could find a suitable substitute for the coconut I might make it again.

Back
Top Bottom