Making spaetzle without spaetzle maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
Spaetzle maker is awesome, but is a terrible mono-tasker and difficult to find in eastern countries. I wonder if anyone has a method to make spaetzle using everyday kitchen gears? Thanks!

I have heard, although never tried this method, that you can make spaetzle by dripping the dough off a fork into the water to boil. You can control the length of the noodles by using a knife to wipe the tine end at the proper length. Also, I've heard some people use a strainer and just wipe the bottome with a knife to control the lenght of the noodles.

Last edited:
I do the colander thing too. Works great.
The drilled pie pan sounds perfect.

You could also drop them off of a spoon. Might be a little bigger, but still good.

The traditional spätzle maker is pictured in the link below. However many people do not use that method anymore. I prefer spätzle made using the traditional method. This can be accomplished using a cutting board like the one in the DC logo and a hamburger flipper / turner.
Spätzlesbrett mit Schaber (Rezept mit Fotos) | von den Koch-Banausen

Attachments

• spaetzlesbrett.jpg
    spaetzlesbrett.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 13,194
Last edited:
I don't have any fancy gear to make spaetzle. I handed my husband a sturdy pie tin, ask him to drill it with some 1/4" holes, viola, a spetzle maker. It just fits over the pot I use. I blob a big blob of the dough on, scrap it through with a Bondo spreader, lift off the pie tin and then lift out the cooked spaetzle with a skimmer. I can make a big supply of them pretty speedy.

Back
Top Bottom